Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre deparure battery pre heat. What temperature? Best way to preheat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you go over Cairn o Mount on that route Tony? I came back from Montrose thay way on Friday and saved 6% versus the bypass, although it took a little longer. I may try that again on the next trip to Montrose on Friday.

Yes - always take the Cairn road unless it’s closed due to snow. I live on this road near Strachan so it’s much shorter and good fun to drive. Mind you cost me a bit last time as transit man smashed my wing mirror, so I now fold them in over this road.

Reactions: GSP and exlatccatsa
Mind you cost me a bit last time as transit man smashed my wing mirror, so I now fold them in over this road.

Unfortunately when I have tried this in the past on the Model 3 the mirrors automatically fold out again as soon as you hit 30mph ... which is a pain when you want them to remain folded on a narrow road. Does the MX keep its mirrors folded at 30+?

Unfortunately when I have tried this in the past on the Model 3 the mirrors automatically fold out again as soon as you hit 30mph ... which is a pain when you want them to remain folded on a narrow road. Does the MX keep its mirrors folded at 30+?

Yes - they don’t fold out again until you hit the button. Mind you 30+ is a little fast for the narrow wing mirror endangering parts of this road. Since the replacement cost me the best part of £800 I’m extra careful these days!

Correction to my above post. The MX mirrors do fold out above 30mph. Just came back from a Edinburgh over the Cairn and tried to leave them folded in on the straighter stretches and out they came as soon as I hit 30. My apologies. Clearly I have never driven above 30 mph before!!

I’m suspecting it may be a traffic rules requirement unfortunately. I have some local roads that have a mix of straights and bends where it’s just not feasible to repeatedly fold mirrors in but have sections where you do go over 30mph. It would be handy to be able to leave them folded for a longer part of the route. Of course if it was just a flick of a switch on the inside of the door like many/most other cars it would be less of an issue!

I’m suspecting it may be a traffic rules requirement unfortunately. I have some local roads that have a mix of straights and bends where it’s just not feasible to repeatedly fold mirrors in but have sections where you do go over 30mph. It would be handy to be able to leave them folded for a longer part of the route. Of course if it was just a flick of a switch on the inside of the door like many/most other cars it would be less of an issue!

That’s where I have the advantage with the MX - there is a switch on the door armrest both for adjusting and folding mirrors (as well as being able to do it on the touch screen but this is too much of a faff for me!)

That’s where I have the advantage with the MX - there is a switch on the door armrest both for adjusting and folding mirrors (as well as being able to do it on the touch screen but this is too much of a faff for me!)

Oh joy ... a switch!! Model 3 owners are now open mouthed that you should have such a thing! (Actually there are only a few "lack of switch" challenges but this is one of them!)

I can now see how you manage folding mirrors as and when you require! When already on a challenging narrow road I'm not going to be digging into screen pages to find the mirror fold control! If I'm folding the mirrors they need to "stick" for a reasonable distance to make it worth my while.

Reactions: Tonybvi
....I do a lot of errands for my Daughter when we visit using her Model X so one of the keys is often in my pocket. It drives me mad that the door opens a few inches every time I walk near (she likes the setting so I have to live with it).

By the way, the voice command 'fold mirrors' works for me....as long as there is connection.

....I do a lot of errands for my Daughter when we visit using her Model X so one of the keys is often in my pocket. It drives me mad that the door opens a few inches every time I walk near (she likes the setting so I have to live with it).

By the way, the voice command 'fold mirrors' works for me....as long as there is connection.

That’s just the trouble on the Cairn o’Mount Road - no connection. Even the satellite image map goes blank for a good part of it!

Reactions: exlatccatsa
A kind of related question. My other half is mainly using the car at the moment, she has an 8 mile trip to work. So far I just plug the car in at 17:00 ish to charge up to 90%. I then turn on the climate 45mons to 1hr before she leaves at 9am the following day. Taking out of the equation it’s nice to get into a warm car, what's most efficient from a cost to charge:

1. Don’t bother pre-heating and just start and go
  2. Pre-heat whilst plugged in before departure
I assume if you don’t pre-heat the efficieny won’t be as good as if I’d pre heated. However, it has ‘cost’ me (via a 12.6p per kWh tariff) to gain that efficiency.

Obviously if my strategy was to eke every last mile of range I’d fully pre heat, but if range isn’t a concern for a particular journey I’m not sure which is the best strategy?

I have a theory that it’s the same regardless. It’s perhaps ‘jam tomorrow’. Pre heat you spend at the start of a journey, don’t pre heat and you spend at the end?

All musing welcomed :)

How about scheduling the charging to finish just before your partner leaves for work (or use scheduled departure feature), so you have a warm battery too.

Thank you. She does vary when she leaves unfortunately, and isn’t every day, so not sure how accurate I could be. If I ever get back into a regular commute that would be perfect...could be a while yet though! :) We’ll both be using the car sporadically one the next few months, so difficult to stick to schedules.

PS
Not sure how quick the non heat pump version heated the cabin, but certainly when plugged in it seems really quick, which is a bonus :)

I then turn on the climate 45mons to 1hr before she leaves at 9am the following day.

Why don't you give 10 minutes a go and see how that affects things. 40 minutes to an hour is excessive imho. 5 - 10 minutes on cold days, maybe 15-20 if likely to be frozen. But we don't have a heat pump.

On non heat pump car, the cabin warms very very quickly. We don't bother with pre heating to improve regen. Philosophy I take is that you either use electricity to make car more efficient, or you add a bit extra to the battery during normal charge to make up for the loss but only if needed. The right foot soon learns to compensate for any reduction in regen. I prefer to be in control of when the car takes on its energy - utilising low carbon and/or cheap rate periods. Shame the car uses significant shore power to preheat - it would be a nice option to have to take it solely from battery other than popping out and unplugging - we don't have a smart charge point so not an option to do this remotely.

Last edited:
Why don't you give 10 minutes a go and see how that affects things. 40 minutes to an hour is excessive imho. 5 - 10 minutes on cold days, maybe 15-20 if likely to be frozen. But we don't have a heat pump.

On non heat pump car, the cabin warms very very quickly. We don't bother with pre heating to improve regen. Philosophy I take is that you either use electricity to make car more efficient, or you add a bit extra to the battery during normal charge to make up for the loss but only if needed. The right foot soon learns to compensate for any reduction in regen. I prefer to be in control of when the car takes on its energy - utilising low carbon and/or cheap rate periods. Shame the car uses significant shore power to preheat - it would be a nice option to have to take it solely from battery other than popping out and unplugging - we don't have a smart charge point so not an option to do this remotely.

I’ll reduce the time, sometimes it is less, just depends when I remember :) Thinking about it logically the net cost/benefit is the same with no pre heating vs pre heating, spend at one end to gain at the other, or vice versa. That’s with the requirement that no range or comfort is taken into account. Probably best to stick with 20 mins max.