Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-facelift vs. Facelift?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Long time stalker first time poster in a while on these forums.

So I've been having a look at getting a Tesla, my friend is selling two (he owns a car leasing company) one is a P85D 2014 pre-facelift and the other is a Model X 60KWH.

Now, this is kind'a a two part question:

1. I am looking at either the P85D or the new 70D with FSD upgrade for when it comes out... what is the difference between the pre-facelift and facelift models? Does the pre-facelift only come with AP HW1 or are there pre-facelifts with AP HW2? What are the other differences?

2. Do all Model X's even the 60Kwh ones come with the option of a software upgrade for the battery? Do they have AP HW2? He's selling this Model X for £61k which to me sounds like a steal. Low mileage too.

Anyway, your thoughts would be highly appreciated. :)looking forward to becoming a Tesla owner!!

Pre-Facelift S's are all AP1. Some post-facelift S's as well. Easy way to tell on that is by the presence of cameras where the side turn indicators are. Other than that, the differences are largely aesthetic. Facelift cars get LED headlights which are still terrible and center consoles which again, terrible. Other than that you're looking at a different front end, slightly different lower facia on the rear of the car and other minor touches depending on whether or not the car got the premium options package such as the hepa filter.

As for the X, most of those will not have the option for a software upgrade as they will be physical 60kwh packs versus larger software limited packs. Many of the X's shipped with AP1. Again, easiest way to tell is by the presence of the side cameras in the turn signal indicators.

Other way to tell is if the side silver "T" logs are flat against the car or not. AP1 is flat, AP2 sticks out at an angle.

The center console and LED headlights are a matter of personal opinion, as I personally like both.

I would personally recommend getting the FSD one(AP2), as AP1 will not have any (many) more growth opportunities, AP2 is still actively being developed against.

Other way to tell is if the side silver "T" logs are flat against the car or not. AP1 is flat, AP2 sticks out at an angle.

That is not the best way. The old flat design will confirm it's a AP1 or Classic (no AP), but many, me included, got it changed to the new one due to issues with it. (Part of the great guarantee of Tesla). So new design could be deceiving. Check indeed camera presence on the side.

About the 60kw battery on X. I believe they are all actually 70. Check with a SeC to be sure.

And welcome! Whichever you go for, you will be amazed by it !

Pre-Facelift S's are all AP1. Some post-facelift S's as well. Easy way to tell on that is by the presence of cameras where the side turn indicators are. Other than that, the differences are largely aesthetic. - Thank you for clearing that up. :)

As for the X, most of those will not have the option for a software upgrade as they will be physical 60kwh packs versus larger software limited packs. Many of the X's shipped with AP1. Again, easiest way to tell is by the presence of the side cameras in the turn signal indicators - thanks again, makes sense.

Other way to tell is if the side silver "T" logs are flat against the car or not. AP1 is flat, AP2 sticks out at an angle. - perfect, thanks for that. Another quick way of figuring it out.

I would personally recommend getting the FSD one(AP2), as AP1 will not have any (many) more growth opportunities, AP2 is still actively being developed against. - yeah, that's what I was working out... I'm hoping I can find a referral code and get me a free supercharging AP2.

That is not the best way. The old flat design will confirm it's a AP1 or Classic (no AP), but many, me included, got it changed to the new one due to issues with it. (Part of the great guarantee of Tesla). So new design could be deceiving. Check indeed camera presence on the side. - I'll keep an eye on it. That's good to know.

About the 60kw battery on X. I believe they are all actually 70. Check with a SeC to be sure.- Thanks, I'll ask!

And welcome! Whichever you go for, you will be amazed by it!

Thank you everyone, sorry about the late reply - couldn't log in!