Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-heated seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last winter, I was pumped when the app and software were updated so that I could pre heat my seats when I remotely turned on the heat. Of course, this was only as long as I left the seat heaters and steering wheel heater on when I left the car, but I was good with doing that.

Well, it’s gotten cold around here the last few days and I’ve tried to use that feature a few times. Every time I’ve used it, I get back to my car and my seats and steering wheel aren’t even remotely warm. They don’t appear to begin warming until I actually get in the car.

Am I doing something wrong? Did I miss a settling somewhere? Is it only active below a certain temp?

I am on 42.2 and notice the same thing now. Last cold season when preheating from the app , seats would be warmish and wheel toasty. Now they appear to only trigger once seated in the car. Sucks hard. I really wish I could have more control of MY car. Features added , removed , altered , broken , *sugar* job of a change log. It’s a total ****show.

Reactions: Jan Fiala
I am on 42.2 and notice the same thing now. Last cold season when preheating from the app , seats would be warmish and wheel toasty. Now they appear to only trigger once seated in the car. Sucks hard. I really wish I could have more control of MY car. Features added , removed , altered , broken , *sugar* job of a change log. It’s a total ****show.
Yep. Seems to have disappeared during recent software updates.

Quick note on this topic, I pre-heated my car running v9 and it did pre-heat the seats and the steering wheel (I left both on before exiting the car). The screen showed the seat heater icon when pre-heating. This is on a 2015 Model S running 42.3 software and Android app.
tesla_preheat_v9.png

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and appleguru
Quick note on this topic, I pre-heated my car running v9 and it did pre-heat the seats and the steering wheel (I left both on before exiting the car). The screen showed the seat heater icon when pre-heating. This is on a 2015 Model S running 42.3 software and Android app.
View attachment 353901

I have got those icons since last winter, but have no idea what those wiggly line means. I didn’t recall they heat the steering wheel or seats.

I have got those icons since last winter, but have no idea what those wiggly line means. I didn’t recall they heat the steering wheel or seats.
They are the same wiggly lines which are the icon for heated seats in v9. When I got in the car, the seat and steering wheel were pre-heated (I did leave the both on before exiting the vehicle, there is no control on the app that I could find to do that).

I wonder if the steering wheel and the seats need the interior temperature to be at a certain level before they turn on when pre heating the car? It's been around 45-50 here lately and the steering wheel and the seats are cold when I get in the car 15 minutes later. The app shows defrosting and the wavy lines on the passenger seat are both on. Sometimes the battery heater icon comes on as well. I have tried both with the charging cable hooked up and without it. It has worked before the latest upgrade and I am wondering if it's dependant on the interior temperature. version 48.1

Isn't it interesting that Tesla has time to make the car play Atari games and "fart on demand", but things like allowing people to turn on defroster or heated seats/wheel which customers have been asking for for years don't make it in. It seems Tesla products target one customer and one customer only, who also happens to be the QA department - Elon. He lives in California, so cold weather features or rain sensing are way on the bottom of the priority list. Maybe fart on demand will defrost the mirrors.

Reactions: Jan Fiala
Isn't it interesting that Tesla has time to make the car play Atari games and "fart on demand", but things like allowing people to turn on defroster or heatedthe seats/wheel which customers have been asking for for years don't make it in. It seems Tesla products target one customer and one customer only, who also happens to be the QA department - Elon. He lives in California, so cold weather features or rain sensing are way on the bottom of the priority list. Maybe fart on demand will defrost the mirrors.
The ability to turn on wheel and seat heaters from the app are included in this release.