Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

pre heating for short trips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the blogs section the is a nice write up for driving MS in cold weather. I have one question. Why would preheating diminish lifespan if not plugged in?

"If you're not plugged in then it's a different story. You could end up using quite a bit of battery power preheating. This is not just running your battery down; it's also using up a little bit of your battery's lifetime. My usual compromise is to prewarm the car for 10 minutes to make the cabin reasonably comfy, then off I go."

In the blogs section the is a nice write up for driving MS in cold weather. I have one question. Why would preheating diminish lifespan if not plugged in?

"If you're not plugged in then it's a different story. You could end up using quite a bit of battery power preheating. This is not just running your battery down; it's also using up a little bit of your battery's lifetime. My usual compromise is to prewarm the car for 10 minutes to make the cabin reasonably comfy, then off I go."
If you want to be picky, every electron in or out of the pack uses up some of a finite amount of charge cycles, that said, the amount is very very high, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'd worry about running the battery down if I'm doing much of it without a charger nearby, but otherwise enjoy being a bit more comfortable. Remember, there's almost nothing ever invented that doesn't wear a bit when using it. Doesn't mean we should stop using things.