TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

pre heating for short trips?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by richardl007, Jan 5, 2016.

1. richardl007

richardl007 Member

Jun 1, 2012
    In the blogs section the is a nice write up for driving MS in cold weather. I have one question. Why would preheating diminish lifespan if not plugged in?

"If you're not plugged in then it's a different story. You could end up using quite a bit of battery power preheating. This is not just running your battery down; it's also using up a little bit of your battery's lifetime. My usual compromise is to prewarm the car for 10 minutes to make the cabin reasonably comfy, then off I go."
  2. Jool

Jool Member

Jun 26, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Technically, just driving the car in general would use up some of the battery's useful life.

I wouldn't worry about it.
  3. green1

green1 Active Member

Mar 25, 2014
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    If you want to be picky, every electron in or out of the pack uses up some of a finite amount of charge cycles, that said, the amount is very very high, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'd worry about running the battery down if I'm doing much of it without a charger nearby, but otherwise enjoy being a bit more comfortable. Remember, there's almost nothing ever invented that doesn't wear a bit when using it. Doesn't mean we should stop using things.
  4. donv

donv Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Lake Jeanclia, OR
    I do it all the time. On cold days, when I hop out of the car to go into a store, I first get my phone and turn the climate control on so it stays nice and warm for my return.