TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

pre heating for short trips?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by richardl007, Jan 5, 2016.

1. richardl007

richardl007 Member

In the blogs section the is a nice write up for driving MS in cold weather. I have one question. Why would preheating diminish lifespan if not plugged in?

"If you're not plugged in then it's a different story. You could end up using quite a bit of battery power preheating. This is not just running your battery down; it's also using up a little bit of your battery's lifetime. My usual compromise is to prewarm the car for 10 minutes to make the cabin reasonably comfy, then off I go."

2. Jool

Jool Member

Technically, just driving the car in general would use up some of the battery's useful life.

I wouldn't worry about it.

3. green1

green1 Active Member

If you want to be picky, every electron in or out of the pack uses up some of a finite amount of charge cycles, that said, the amount is very very high, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'd worry about running the battery down if I'm doing much of it without a charger nearby, but otherwise enjoy being a bit more comfortable. Remember, there's almost nothing ever invented that doesn't wear a bit when using it. Doesn't mean we should stop using things.

4. donv

donv Member

I do it all the time. On cold days, when I hop out of the car to go into a store, I first get my phone and turn the climate control on so it stays nice and warm for my return.