Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-hike prices on Model S'?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to buy a MS again, obvi the car market has been crazy and thus impacted prices on used cars, but I'm having trouble trying to figure out what prices might look on a P100D or even a 75D, if it weren't for the price hikes? Any ideas?

I want to buy but not at a ridiculous price that won't make sense if/when things normalize a bit again. I'm seeing 2016-17's 75D's going for like 55-65k and P100D's are in the 90k's which seems crazy for a 6-year-old car when you really think logically about it.

It's really anyone's guess since both the chip shortage and now inflation are driving prices up. The former is temporary. Not sure about the latter.

I'd think a P100D should realistically be around 55-60k, and a 75D would be 35k. I don't know if prices will get back to that though.

I bought my P85D from Tesla back in October 2019 for around $50k with a 2 year bumper-to-bumper warranty, and I could probably sell it for close to that now. I expected it to be worth around $30k.

Out of curiosity, what's the point of this exercise? The car market is what the car market is and no amount of knowledge on the previous market is helpful. This is the new way and it applies to all items now thanks to inflation. It will likely get worse before it gets better so I'll give you the same advice I gave someone six months ago: "If you think that P100D is priced high at $80k right now you better buy it before it's hits $90k" only it hit $90k as I warned so just adjust the numbers in that advice up $10k now. If you wait another few months you'll need to adjust that up another $10k. Noticing a trend? Until supply can catch up with demand we won't see a change in the affects on both the new and used inventory. This is basic economics and if you try to flex on a seller by telling them how much their car was worth 8 months ago they'll likely tell you to pound sand.

If you don’t need it and can wait it out, I would wait. It doesn’t hurt to keep looking for that needle in a haystack though. Also try to find an inside sales rep at Tesla to get pricing on things that didn’t hit the website yet. Those are the best deals and will most likely have a decent warranty.

Reactions: r0bgj
Out of curiosity, what's the point of this exercise? The car market is what the car market is and no amount of knowledge on the previous market is helpful.
If you're entering the market without a vehicle in hand, it's nice to know if the market will adjust back after a temporary condition is over. Some of the "old pricing" will come back to normal (chip shortage), some won't (inflation). On the other hand, if you're currently holding a vehicle, its value will also likely be "artificially" higher than normal, and buying a newer vehicle with that additional value in trade will make the purchase sting less.

As a similar example, I bought a new video card in early December last year. I paid a king's ransom for it, but I was also able to sell my current card for $200 more than I paid for it 3 years prior. In the end, I upgraded my card for about the same amount as I would expect to under normal conditions. If I didn't have that card in hand, however, I probably would have just waited for the market to come back to earth - and it has.

Yes the pricing is high but it's also possible to get something more reasonable than what you posted. 2017 p100d can be had for 70k. I just purchased a 2021 performance (before refresh) with 20k miles and Fsd included for 89k and that isn't a rare price, they come up once in a while you just have to try harder