TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Pre-Order for Family Member

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by smilepak, Jun 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

Now that we are getting closer for them to being deliver, I wonder if anyone explore the answer to this situation and care to share?

I am an existing Model S Owner. I submitted a reservation for two Model 3. One for myself and one for my sister-in-law (wife's sister).

When the time come, how can I transfer that over to her? The only method I am aware of is I need to add her name on the title at time of purchase, once the car is fully paid for, withdraw my name?

Is there any other methods?

Thanks,

2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Prior written approval from Tesla will do the trick.
    https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/model_3_reservation_agreement.pdf

3. flamingoezz

flamingoezz Member

4. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

You tried? How did you go about doing that?

5. flamingoezz

flamingoezz Member

I emailed tesla, someone called me back less than 24 hours later.

I mentioned the site saying transfers possible with written notice and they said they weren't doing transfers on the model 3, presumably due to the demand and potential for people to sell off their cars for profit. Not sure how knowledgeable the rep was on the topic and YMMV, but that was my takeaway from our conversation. If someone has better luck, let me know as I'm open to trying other methods. Tesla had my money for over a year, and I'm legit trying to give the reservation to family-in-law rather than it having been a waste.

6. Wolverinegeoff

I think I'm just consigning with the family member. It's a direct father/son relationship so I don't see them giving any grief.

7. montreid

montreid Member

If Musk can get a transfer of rights, doesn't that set precedence on transfers of reservations?

"Ira Ehrenpreis had rights to 1st car as he was 1st to place a full deposit, but gave those rights to me as my 46th bday present. Tks Ira!
    5:39 PM - 8 Jul 2017"

I'm looking to transfer/gift to my officemate or daughter's godparents without compensation and still hoping that we can get them in on our current reservations instead of canceling them outright.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

They didn't transfer their reservations, they both had one, Ira simply let Elon configure and order first. Same as when the configurator opens and people decide to wait for options, people behind them will move up.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  9. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I don't think it's easy to transfer reservations, simply because that's the obvious way for folks to sell their spot in line. The time to transfer is at delivery. Worst case, put your name and your inlaw's name on the title.

• Like x 1
  10. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

That works for the state, but how does Tesla track ownership-account transfers?

11. bonnie

The new owner just needs to supply Tesla with a copy of their paperwork, showing them as the sole owner. It's no different than if you had sold your vehicle on the used car market.

12. flamingoezz

flamingoezz Member

how does this affect tax credit?

im not concerned about him not paying for the car. would i claim the credit since the reservation is in my name, add him to the title and let him insure and make payments on it?

13. bonnie

You should talk to a professional, but my understanding is that either person could claim the credit (just not both). IRS doesn't care about the reservation, only who purchases the vehicle.

14. RobertF

RobertF Member

Using your logic I assume if Mr. X reserves a 3 today an early reserver Mr. Y can tranfer their reservation to Mr. X?

15. bonnie

That's not what he said. He said Ira was delaying configuring, which meant Elon could configure first. That's not a transfer.

16. PRSIST

PRSIST Member

Just buy it, register it, and transfer the title to your family member or whomever. Should be no out-of-pocket costs for you if your relative gives your the purchase money up front and pays for the registration and transfer of title costs.

17. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

Interesting. Tesla would then flag the car as being used?

18. bonnie

I think you're reading too much into my answer. No, they wouldn't flag it as anything. I was just saying that updating the system is no big deal & something that is done all the time.

19. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

OK, so Tesla does not know how many owners have had a particular VIN? That seems strange.

20. bonnie

Of course they know who has what VIN. I was responding to how to get the account updated to show just one owner.

I feel like you have some bigger question that I'm not answering. What are you concerned about?