TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pre-ordering questions

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by amuso, May 27, 2013.

1. amuso

amuso Member

Hi
    Been reading up on a lot of posts here.
    I have been a fan of Tesla since the early rumor days, and got convinced when the Roadster came out.
    First saw the Tesla S in person in February this year, and got a testdrive last week at the local dealer here in Norway.
    Now that the financial bit of the equation pans out, and the wife is in on ordering a Tesla S I am left with a few technical questions someone here might be able to answer - or not. Most of these I haven't been able to find any definitive answers to.

I am considering the 4 year service plan on offer. Though I don't anticipate any big problems it adds a bit of piece of mind in case some parts wear out. I expect to drive at least 20000 miles a year so I expect some parts to wear like pads, discs, bushings and bulbs. Even though there is supposed to be a 5 year warranty wear parts are not covered by these as I understand it. I assume the bulbs are more expensive and rare since they probably are LED or some other smart technology? Brake lines are also a regular item to fail with rust around here. Hopefully these are also included in a service plan. Does anybody know what wear parts for the Tesla S are, and what they cost?

Does anybody have any feedback on maintenance in general? Is it mostly robust and worry-free? Or are there any regular items that needs attention?

The mobile data plan is unclear to me. Is it included in the price, and for how many years if so? Can I use my own SIM-card as long as it has a dataplan?

It seems paint protection is not listed as an option in Norway. This was one of the biggest cons for me. Is it still possible to order? Does the paint protection offer any side and rear protection? I am mostly worried about chips from gravel on the front, and nearby parked car doors and pedestrians walking between parked cars with various bags and stuff.

I know most phones and pads can stream by bluetooth and make and receive calls by bluetooth. However I use my current iPod-controll car stereo a lot for music and podcasts. The plug-in, charge and control with full song/track details is really nice. Does the Tesla S support this now, or are there any rumors that such integration will be possible in the future?

This is a car I would like to keep for at least 8 years due to the battery warranty and advantages it offers with local taxes. Hopefully rust will not be a issue as I understand most of the car is aluminium. Maybe in 7 years time I will trade it in for a newer Tesla model, so I hope it will not be eaten up and worthless by then.

Has anybody received any Norwegian financing offers ? Would be interested to hear what rates etc are offered by Tesla.

As soon as I have some of these questions figured out I will get on with an order. I am debating planning for a spring 2014 delivery to avoid using it during the worst of the winter for starters. With 8-9 months delivery time I guess I must make an order in a month or two :)

Thanks for any thoughts and feedback from you all out there.

2. PaceyWhitter

PaceyWhitter Member

Ok, a lot of questions, but I will do my best.

There are much fewer wear parts on the S compared to a ICE. The main wear parts not covered under warranty would be the brake pads (and they wear much slower due to regen braking). This is why I am not getting the service plan. (I plan to bring the car in every two years to be checked at a service center)

The headlights are xenon (HID) if you get the tech package and standard halogen bulbs if you do not. Xenon bulbs are a bit more expensive but also last longer.

The mobile data plan has not been announced yet, currently Tesla is paying for data but that will not last. You cannot access the SIM card, so you will not be able to change it.

You should look into aftermarket paint protection. Many on the forum have had better experiences with various aftermarket products and Tesla's paint protection is not installed at the factory, it is done at the service center.

Tesla currently does not support a data connection to an ipod through USB, however if your iPod is a touch, it does support streaming music and podcasts over the bluetooth connection.

The fact that the S is made of aluminum means it won't "rust" but corrosion could occur. aluminum corrosion is aluminum oxide, a very hard material that actually protects the aluminum from further corrosion. Aluminum oxide corrosion also looks a lot more like aluminum (dull gray to powdery white in color), so it isn't as easy to notice as rusted iron.

3. deonb

deonb Active Member

4. amuso

amuso Member

Thanks for your feedback. Appreciate it. I for sure will go for Tech and thanks for suggestion aftermarket paint protection. The other board also suggested that, which makes sense and puts me more at peace with what to go for.

Probably will preorder it any day now and hopefully won't bail out :) I think I must have it! Now to research interior height with or without panorama roof. Someone mentioned there was more roof height with the panorama.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

They were correct. If adults are to sit in the back, the pano roof isn't an option--it's a necessity.

6. amuso

amuso Member

Thanks! Now the hard part: Deciding on the options :)

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Describe your car budget and preferences -- broad brush strokes -- in less than 40 words.

Clarification added.

8. Argelius

Argelius Member

Rather than starting my own thread, I thought I'd glom on to this one with a quick question of my own.

Can anyone comment how the S does in snow? I'm assuming that since it is RWD, the answer is "awful unless you get winter tires". Just curious if anyone here has experience driving in snow.

I just went on a test drive and and, predictably, sold...

9. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I don't think it's quite so black and white. If you lean back against the head rest, I think it's actually worse with the pano roof. I'm 6'1", and there's not suitable headroom for me in back with the pano roof. It would be ok for short trips, since you can lean forward and put your head under the glass, but for a long trip, I don't think I could tolerate the back seat. Also, though not related to any options, the back seat is closer to the floor than on other cars, which impacts leg room. All in all, the back seat is no place for tall people.

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

There are a number of threads about this:

Winter Tires
    Winter Performance
    Is an AWD Model S Necessary?
    Winter Road Trip on Summer Tires

The bottom line is that this is not the RWD that we grew up with. Also Tesla has improved the software from the early releases which makes it better than the first few Model S software releases. (IIRC 4.3 was where this behaviour was improved.) Nokian studless snow tires are the way to go if you live where there is a real winter.