Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre Owned Order Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there have been a ton of posts about how bad the used order experience has been. From poor sales people to vehicles not as described. For those searching (as I did over the past two weeks), here is our experience. Simply because I fret and worried that all the poor experiences I read about would happen to me as well! I actually had my mind made up that I was going to find our car in horrible shape and have to decide if I was going to walk away today!

The selection, ordering and buying process is just as everyone described. Difficult. We had our own pre-approval and down payment ready as soon as we selected a vehicle. However, As I read into information such as AP HW versions and MCU versions, I began to question what we were actually going to get! "Full Self Driving Capable" reads to me that its capable, but might need more "purchases" to get what we see everyone else using, and it isn't clearly described. Our sales rep was nothing but useless. My questions to here were always answered "as it says on page 3 of the email I sent on x date." Obviously if I'm inquiring, it wasn't clear. In the end, even when I talked to her on the phone, as she talked down to me, she gave misinformation. I was told we had HW3 and MCU1, but don't. Now, full self driving works and is fully up to date (I believe minus traffic lights), but now I need to jump through hoops to get the HW3. I know it comes to all of the HW2 vehicles in time, but I'm hoping sooner than later since that's how it was described.

After completion of dealing with the useless sales rep, the process was great. Communication every step of the way. Scheduled our delivery almost 5 days sooner than estimated and moved the date easily when it conflicted with my schedule. Upon arriving at the delivery center, everyone was helpful. I was a little lost and was given help every step of the way when needed it. In the end, I shouldn't have needed it. We literally pulled in, parked and watched our car drive into the parking lot with us. Called the number in our email and they unlocked the car. Everything was inside the car in an envelope for us with directions. Signed all the highlighted spots with the included pen, placed the check in the envelope with the signed docs and dropped them in a drop box. One more phone call to tell them we were done and 10 minutes later we drove away.

The vehicle (2017 Model X) was in better shape than their pictures depicted. I expected some unusual wear on one of the seats and it isn't even noticeable in person! Minor bumper chips from road debris, but fully expected! The inside and outside were freshly cleaned and detailed, and no funky smells. All of the accessories in the trunk neatly stored.

Overall, minus the horrible salesperson, the process was way better than sitting for hours at a car dealership. I have some feedback written up for the sales rep and maybe she can learn to not talk down to people, but I doubt it will go anywhere.

I took delivery of my 2016 MS in May. The paperwork flow was different, they gave me a pre addressed FedEx envelope to mail signed paperwork back. Vehicle was 100% paid prior to delivery.

The only issue was my appointment was for 10 am, and they didn't get to me until 10:30. Then they needed to charge on supercharger. That gave me time to go through the vehicle. No surprises, it was clean. They did give me a due bill to replace broken sun visor and have the paint detailed. There were water spots in the black paint. Easy to see, they volunteered to do the detail without me asking.

Satisfied with the experience.

I see people are complaining about not getting paperwork. We put a deposit on a CPO/7 day return Model S on 5/11/20 and are still waiting for delivery. We had a delivery date scheduled for near the end of June so we drove our Performance 3 trade from Dallas to South Florida and then the day before our scheduled delivery Tesla called and canceled our delivery. We then stayed a couple more weeks in Florida but Tesla said they don't have a delivery date. We have since driven the Performance 3 back to Dallas which adds more miles. The new car is an inventory car from NY and Tesla says that COVID-19 has slowed deliveries. According to Google, figuring normal walking speed and resting time, I could have walked the transportation distance more than 4 times and yet still no delivery. Is this good customer service?

68 Days. No paperwork. Temp tag expired on 7/20. Numerous calls, chats, texts, emails have failed to garner any intelligent response from Tesla. My credit union is pissed and told me they would NEVER finance another Tesla again. This is the second time this is happened to them. The last time, the buyer skipped out before ever registering the vehicle into their name and they (the CU) got stuck. I love my MX and some of the amazing things this company has done, but...wow.