Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-Owned private party Model S purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is a very nice car, but OP did say that 50k was already above budget although that private party will probably haggle a little bit. 54,800 is what Tesla will stand on, they don't wiggle on price that I have ever seen.

I think I replied to your other topic and didn't see response, so maybe this falls on deaf ears, but who knows.

The CPO benefit isn't just an extended warranty. The inspection and refurbishment process is pretty extensive or at least it was on mine. Tesla fixed or replaced big ticket items like new rotors and brakes, tires, refinished the wheels, replaced the lift gate struts... to minor issues that would have bugged me had I discovered them like a missing sunvisor cover, loose rearview mirror, scratches on the trim, etc. This was all done prior to delivery and the car looks and drives like new.

You would potentially be stuck fixing many of these non-warranty items with a private sale. Maybe they'll come up in an inspection and you'll get a credit but I prefer piece of mind direct from Tesla.

No sunroof and the plastic under the frunk looks like it was neglected. Even my vehicles that I take off road look nicer than that.

After getting a CPO that looked like new inside and out I would definitely go that route again.. I could only tell the car was used by looking underneath of it.

I would have to add one to the CPO or bust side. My car is a late 2012 with 60k and looked literally new. They also replaced a ton of parts during the refurbishment process proactively. This peace of mind was worth anything extra it cost me (I paid 40K).

Thanks again for all the help gang. In the end, I've decided that unless it's a screaming deal (compared to a CPO), I'm going to avoid a private sale. There was another 2014 S 85 that came up in Portland yesterday. I called Tesla to get some warranty info (the VIN is in the picture). She said the warranty would end 7/15/18. So I wouldn't even get a year. This car is pretty loaded, it has everything I would want or more. But it seems like I could get a CPO for the same price. They would have to come WAY down in price to hedge the lack of warranty.

2014 TESLA MODEL S

Thanks again for all of the help here!

Reactions: ModelX
Thanks again for all the help gang. In the end, I've decided that unless it's a screaming deal (compared to a CPO), I'm going to avoid a private sale. There was another 2014 S 85 that came up in Portland yesterday. I called Tesla to get some warranty info (the VIN is in the picture). She said the warranty would end 7/15/18. So I wouldn't even get a year. This car is pretty loaded, it has everything I would want or more. But it seems like I could get a CPO for the same price. They would have to come WAY down in price to hedge the lack of warranty.

2014 TESLA MODEL S

Thanks again for all of the help here!

Yep, CPO is the way to go for buying a used Tesla.

I just wish Tesla would make the process a little better - First, how about providing real world actual pics of the actual cars for sale!?

Yep, CPO is the way to go for buying a used Tesla.

I just wish Tesla would make the process a little better - First, how about providing real world actual pics of the actual cars for sale!?

Yeah, that is really brutal. They really force you to buy cars sight unseen based off of stock photos. Everyone I've talked to have wound up with great results, but it still takes some getting used to.