Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-owned they don’t ship anymore?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So every sticker pretty much only last two years and you cannot renew?
white decals were only meant to go to 1/1/2019 and then expire. for the new red ones, here are the rules from DMV:

"Note: White CAV decals are valid only until January 1, 2019. New white CAV decals are no longer issued. Vehicle owners issued white decals on or after January 1, 2017, who are eligible for the red decal, were mailed, to their address on file, a pre-filled CAV decal application form with instructions and a return envelope. The pre-filled applications were mailed in mid-October 2018. If you believe your vehicle is eligible for a new red decal and you did not receive a letter, please submit a completed CAV decal application form (REG 1000) for review."

so it depends on when this preowned car got the original white HOV sticker. some people didn't apply for a sticker until 2017 or the car may have been from out of state and the original owner obviously wouldn't get CA HOV stickers.

i think there is a website you can do a lookup or you can call DMV to confirm the date of original application to determine if its eligible for the new red ones. better check that first before placing a deposit with tesla, if that is something you must have!

oh and p.s., the red ones currently last until 1/1/2022, which is 3+ years. but if a car has never applied for them and you apply after 1/1/19, the expiration will then be 1/1/2023. it's basically 3 years plus the partial year that it was issued.

Where do you put in the VIN# on theDMV site?

if you call the 800 # it's a live person. i would give that a shot first. i don't see a place you can enter a VIN on the ARB website to check for eligibility on preowned cars.

1. Q: How do I determine if my vehicle is eligible for a CAV decal?

A: Visit the California Air Resources Board (ARB) website or call ARB's toll free number at 1-800-242-4450 to determine you vehicle's eligibility.

So guys back on topic. Is it true you have to take delivery of the car in that state? I’m in CA and let’s say I find a car in another state. Tesla won’t ship it to a center near me for a few? I remember they used to do that when they first started the CPO program but apparently the associate is telling me they don’t do that anymore. Has anyone recently bought preowned from them from out of state?

So guys back on topic. Is it true you have to take delivery of the car in that state? I’m in CA and let’s say I find a car in another state. Tesla won’t ship it to a center near me for a few? I remember they used to do that when they first started the CPO program but apparently the associate is telling me they don’t do that anymore. Has anyone recently bought preowned from them from out of state?

If I were buying a used car, I would want to test drive it and inspect it in person before I paid for it. A plane ticket and a little time would be worth it for not getting a lemon or beat up car.