TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pre / Post refresh: What will you call them?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by twonius, Apr 12, 2016.

1. twonius

twonius Member

I know the roadsters use releases like software (1.0, 2.0 etc)
    I've even seen a bit of this with Porsche on the 997 (997.1)
    I've also heard pre-autopilot cars called "classics" but now that there are essentially 3 flavors of Model S this seems like it's not enough.

2. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

3. twonius

twonius Member

#3 twonius, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    What's a "gen 1" with or without AP then? People seem to differentiate between these. (Hence "classic")

Also aren't "Gen"s typically used to differentiate between major chassis changes of a long running nameplate? (Gen4 camaro etc.).

4. zer0cool

zer0cool Member

Since the only diffs are the front bumper and lamps, I wouldn't call it gen 2. So no AP would be Gen 1 no AP, with AP would be Gen 1 AP, and this would be maybe Gen 1.1.

I think 1.1 is appropriate since this is significantly less than even Porsche mid refreshes... Like the 991.2 got turbo engines compared with 991.1; which is like akin to significantly new batteries or transmissions system for Model S.

So given that's just a .1 to .2 difference, Model S change deserves 1.0 to 1.1 change.

Or maybe original no AP was 1.0, AP is 1.1, and this is 1.2. Tho the amount of change from 1.1 to 1.2 is decidedly less than 1.0 to 1.1.

• Like x 1
  5. twonius

twonius Member

Something like this maybe?
    1.0 - No AP
    1.0.1 - AP Nosecone
    1.1 - Refresh

This is at least how i would name them as releases but for conversation this seems a bit cryptic. plus how often would someone forget the middle 0 leading to confusion.

At the end of the day I think this will be an emergent solution from the community in the next few weeks (unless Tesla has some sort of internal code like BMW , MB that people start using)

6. zer0cool

zer0cool Member

That makes it feel like the recent refresh is HUGE, like more than AP, which it is decidedly not... I stick with my 1.0, 1.1, 1.2. And that's even generous for this refresh.

• Like x 1
  7. zer0cool

zer0cool Member

I am thinking BMW terms now. So the 3 series current gen is called F30. So after refresh, it's called F30 LCI.

How about we call this facelift FL? So it's Gen 1, Gen 1 AP, Gen 1 FL. Very clear, and all FL includes AP.

• Like x 1
  8. twonius

twonius Member

people probably won't bother calling it Gen 1 then until about 2020. So maybe Classic, since it's already in use, AP and FL.

9. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

How about Perfection and Perfection Plus?;)

I really like the new nose. Much more than I thought I would. I think it looks better on the S than the X because of the lower profile. I think they should do a variant of this on the 3, Like MB and BMW having derivatives on all their cars. I have always liked that strategy. It gives a sense of permanence and power to the brand.

I'm very happy that they did not junk it up like so many MFRs that change things for the sake of change and then end up ruining a lovely design. And of course, now I want it on mine!

10. SM18

SM18 Member

I'd refer to pre-AP cars as "classic. I like the idea that signature cars would still be "classic. AP cars could be pre-Update, and then those following the refresh can be Updated cars.

11. twonius

twonius Member

Yeah I couldn't help but think of the countach a bit today in the sense that it's a nice evolution of the design, keeping the car current.

The early design has its purity as Gandini's original intent, but the later cars with the flares and silly rear wing was what most of us had on our bedroom walls.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

I love Elon Musk - he just keeps improving the car and doesn't worry about stuff like whether to give the car a new designation. He leaves that stupid detail crap to us on the forums while he's busy landing rockets in the ocean.

• Like x 1
  13. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Thank you so much for posting this - I'm embarrassed to admit that I never knew there WAS a pure Countach design without the silly bits that made it look ridiculous. You're right - the original is beautiful. This is just like I've posted before here on TMC about the Gallardo - the original 2004 was a pure, simple, beautiful design - the later "refreshes" ruined it.

14. twonius

twonius Member

"Plastic Surgery" seemed to be the fate of most of the clean wedge cars from the 70s (and perhaps most of their owners). The Pantera and Esprit both followed Lamborghini down this path. I guess they had to figure out some way to keep 10+ year old designs current. Just look at all the crap they put on a G Wagon now.

I find the model S refresh interesting in that it doesn't follow the usual trope of the newer car having a more aggressive fascia with a deeper chin and more inlets.

• Like x 1
  15. rowdy

rowdy Member

There are Signature cars with Autopilot though (at least in Australia and maybe other markets?).

I think Classic model s versus New model s works well for the refresh. Or maybe Model S 2.0

16. twonius

twonius Member

I'd be surprised if the SC employees or development team hadn't already created their own differentiation. Based on my experience at Polaris they're probably better than whatever we'll come up with too.

17. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

Pre AP = Gen 1
    AP = Gen 2
    2016 Refresh = Gen 3

Boom.

18. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

Or how about:

Pre AP
    AP
    R1 (refresh 1)

19. twonius

twonius Member

The names should probably be backwards compatible that's why Classic, AP and Facelift seems to fit well with what people already call them.

20. Shawn Snider

Shawn Snider Member

This new change is EXACTLY what I was hoping they'd do to the S! I've always HATED 'Grilles' on cars, especially the old S.

SOOOOO EXCITED!