Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre / Post refresh: What will you call them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dell refers to their servers that are the same model number but have newer capabilities that the older ones don't as "flights".

As an example, the gen 9 server known as the PowerEdge 1950 came in a flight I, flight II, and flight III model. Flight I could only use Xeon 51xx series CPUs and maxed out at 32GB of RAM. Flight II were able to use 53xx series CPUs and could take 64GB of RAM. Flight III were able to use 54xx series CPUs.

The US Navy also used "flight" when referring to the Los Angeles class fast attack submarines. Flight I (SSN-688 through SSN-718) used a 148 MW reactor, standard torpedoes, and the original sonar systems. Flight II (SSN-719 through SSN-725, plus SSN-750) added the vertical launch system for cruise missiles, and switched to a 165 MW reactor. Flight III (SSN-751 through SSN-773) use newer sonar systems, and due to the change from fairwater planes on the sail to bowplanes on the hull, they added under-ice capability.

I'd like to refer to my 85D as a flight II Model S. :) The new refresh we're seeing today looks like a flight III.

Reactions: twonius