Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-PTO test, are my PW2 units working or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During my installation, everything was tested and working. My PW2 units during install testing showed 20% SOC. They turned everything off and left. My city inspection came the next day and everything cleared. They did not turn any of the system on, just visually looked at everything. So now I am waiting for PTO.

I decided to test the system. All good, but the PWs wont show in the Tesla app. The one thing I do remember is during the testing, there was an additional round meter plugged in above the hard pull disconnect on the outside wall. This meter looked similar to the normal round meter that NVEnergy has to read my usage. The install crew removed that meter and put a blank cover on. I am assuming that the meter they removed is needed to turn on the PWs, correct?

showing in the app is related to tesla assigning them there or not. You can check the local TEG interface to see if you see them working, but it appears that tesla is not putting the powerwalls in the app for some until they get PTO.

showing in the app is related to tesla assigning them there or not. You can check the local TEG interface to see if you see them working, but it appears that tesla is not putting the powerwalls in the app for some until they get PTO.
During the install testing, the PWs were showing in my app. Would that change?

I am seeing solar production and grid use, but nothing for the PWs.

Can you post a screenshot? If you see the "Home Energy Gateway" in the app, that effectively is where the Powerwalls show up. If you have solar, you might also have a solar product listed.
image.jpg
image.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Your Powerwalls are there. Are the Powerwall switches turned on? Are their breakers turned on?

Also, if you browse to the gateway IP on your network, does it show Powerwall charge is 0% or maybe 5%? It's probable that they turned them off while you are awaiting PTO.

BTW, no, you shouldn't need that missing meter in order for the Powerwalls to work.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I have a breaker sub panel for PW1 and PW2, and a PW and PV Solar in the backup panel. All 4 are on.

is there a switch/breaker inside or on the side of the TEG I should look for?

No, that would be it. Did you check to see if the power switches on the Powerwalls themselves are on? Also, in the app, try switching to backup only, to see if the solar tries to charge the Powerwalls.

Your Powerwalls are there. Are the Powerwall switches turned on? Are their breakers turned on?

Also, if you browse to the gateway IP on your network, does it show Powerwall charge is 0% or maybe 5%? It's probable that they turned them off while you are awaiting PTO.

BTW, no, you shouldn't need that missing meter in order for the Powerwalls to work.
During the install test 2 days ago, the PWs showed 20%. They turned everything off... the breakers and the hard handle pulls and the flip switches on the PWs.

During the install test 2 days ago, the PWs showed 20%. They turned everything off... the breakers and the hard handle pulls and the flip switches on the PWs.
If you turn them on, then they should show up in the app again. Did they give instructions on how to turn things on? For our system, everything was set up next to each other so we turn things on flipping switches moving from left to right and then turn things back off by flipping switches moving from right to left.

Ok strange stuff. I turn everything off. Turn on the 2 hard pulls. Press ‘reset’ on TEG for 3-5 seconds. Turn toggle switches on PWs. Turn breakers on in PW breaker panel. Turn on PW and PV breakers in backup panel. Nothing with inverter yet.
The PWs show on with 20% charge. Wait about 2-3 minutes. The PWs go to 0% again as previous and don’t show in power flow chart.
When I did the same process and turned on the inverter knob, the PWs never showed anything happening.

Ok strange stuff. I turn everything off. Turn on the 2 hard pulls. Press ‘reset’ on TEG for 3-5 seconds. Turn toggle switches on PWs. Turn breakers on in PW breaker panel. Turn on PW and PV breakers in backup panel. Nothing with inverter yet.
The PWs show on with 20% charge. Wait about 2-3 minutes. The PWs go to 0% again as previous and don’t show in power flow chart.
When I did the same process and turned on the inverter knob, the PWs never showed anything happening.
Doing the same experiment again, my phone viewing the Tesla app, and a different phone viewing the TEG directly on it’s with-fi.
Only results are when I press the TEG reset button for 3-5 seconds.
The app soon shows the PWs at 20% on the main screen but not the power flow screen. After about 2 minutes it returns to 0%.
On the TEG wi-fi, the screen shows 0% always with the title reading ‘not connected to Tesla’ and later ‘connect to Tesla’.

I decided to test the system. All good, but the PWs wont show in the Tesla app. The one thing I do remember is during the testing, there was an additional round meter plugged in above the hard pull disconnect on the outside wall. This meter looked similar to the normal round meter that NVEnergy has to read my usage. The install crew removed that meter and put a blank cover on. I am assuming that the meter they removed is needed to turn on the PWs, correct?

Sound like there is normally a meter between the Powerwalls and rest of the system. Can you post a photo or the single line drawing for your system? In any case if a meter is missing there is some part of the system that is disconnected. Based on what you've described it sounds like those are the Powerwalls.

This happened to me when I turned on my system before they ok it. So the electrician said I changed something in the powerwall settings that made it offline. All I did was choose timed based control. So he has to reset the gateway to get it showing up again. My behavior was like yours, PW doesn't show flow and also showed 0%.

What do you see when you're manually on TEG? Do you see a powerwall percentage?

This happened to me when I turned on my system before they ok it. So the electrician said I changed something in the powerwall settings that made it offline. All I did was choose timed based control. So he has to reset the gateway to get it showing up again. My behavior was like yours, PW doesn't show flow and also showed 0%.

What do you see when you're manually on TEG? Do you see a powerwall percentage?
My PWs on the TEG wi-fi show 0% always, but on the Tesla app after I press the reset on the TEG it shows 20% (now 19%) for about 2-3 minutes and then returns to 0%.

when you say he reset the gateway, what exactly is that process?

My PWs on the TEG wi-fi show 0% always, but on the Tesla app after I press the reset on the TEG it shows 20% (now 19%) for about 2-3 minutes and then returns to 0%.

when you say he reset the gateway, what exactly is that process?
Honestly I dont know because he did it to fix my unresponsive powerwalls. Maybe he reset the gateway and said leave it on backup mode for now.