Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre Purchase Battery Question - 75 vs 90

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you all for your replies, you are all so helpful and I'm incredibly grateful. What a great community, one I will definitely join in the future. For now, however I've decided to wait on the Tesla for a couple of reasons, I'm more sure than ever that it's my ultimate dream car and if all goes to plan I will get one next, in a few years. For now I've ordered a Volvo XC60, I test drove a lot of cars over the last few weeks, I was put off some fairly expensive cars in doing so, Mercedes, Jaguar, the internal build quality and tech was really quite poor for the price and the name. I did not expect to like the volvo but it has a lot of things I wanted in the Tesla as far as audio and self drive / safety features - self drive is nowhere near as good as Tesla but it's has some great driver assist features. I managed to get an astounding deal and have gotten an extremely premium car at a greatly reduced cost compared to Tesla. Even factoring in tax and fuel it's a lot (LOT) less. Hence this was the better option for now but I do hope to trade it in in a few years for my Tesla. I will be following very closely on developments and improvements. I'm especially keen on seeing what happens when they update the interior and sound system. The Volvo fits my lifestyle best just now as I'm carrying plenty of gear for watersports and that was the one factor I couldn't justify on the Model S, I couldn't afford the X at the moment.

So ... they collected the car today - a month, less 4 days, since it came back - first slot they seemed to have available - to fix the wind noise. The wind noise was sufficient that our ears were ringing on a long trip, although i managed to reduce it by stuffing a rag into the quarter-light

Yet again its come back with Service mode still enabled (something their support told me they never leave on), so I was unable to check it (remotely) to make sure it had enough charge for my wife to get home (car was delivered back to her work).

And a scratch down the side that they claim was there before, but I had not noticed, and the collection driver didn't notice on his inspection this morning ...

I am devastated for you. What a patient person you are. I hope you manage to get them to repair it. Maybe photographs are in order before it goes in next time. We really shouldn't have to be doing things like that, such a shame.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
If you are still worried about reliability issues with a Tesla, then that applies at least equally, if not more so, with the Disco Sport. There are a LOT of unhappy owners in that camp for sure. Spend any time on the Land Rover forums and you will see that they suffer from all kinds of major and minor issues. Same goes for the tech. If anyone thinks the Tesla tech is maybe starting to look slightly dated, then the Disco Sport is like something out of the last century by comparison.

Seriously, I looked into buying a Disco Sport too and I quite like the car (sensible, practical, decent off-road) despite it's poor reputation for reliability. But I went for a Model X instead. The electric powertrain is truly from another planet compared to the mediocre diesel in the DS. Plus it's infinitely more interesting to just sit in and drive. The Tesla feels like something special and unique rather than a practical but very underwhelming SUV.

Hope that helps with your decision to double your budget!
I was aware of some of the reliability issues yes and had looked into them, I also specifically asked about warranty to guard against them. Ultimately what put me off the Disco is the same thing that put me off the Jaguar F Pace, the interior quality was average, not nice and I did expect more for the money. Especially on the 3 litre diesel F pace I test drove, my left leg was actually uncomfortable up against all the plastic. Very poor indeed.

@Hoot welcome :)

I was in the same boat as you, buy an older car with a slightly bigger battery or go new & get the 75. I bought the new 75 to get the exact spec I wanted and even got the basic RWD as it was still available, that meant I could afford to add all the toys - multi-coat paint job, premium interior & EAP, asked about FSD & no one (including the Tesla guys) seemed to think it would be usable any time soon so I skipped that one. I was a bit worried about range but my daily commute is only 28 miles each way & when I looked at our usual longer distance runs there were superchargers on route. Have a look at ABetterRoutePlanner for some ideas.

I took the plunge in Sept & took delivery at the dreaded EOQ, in fact at the even more dreaded EOY!!! Absolutely no quality issues whatsoever. Something in my suspension threw a wobbler then & there which meant I had to drive home in a loaner but I had my car delivered to me a few days later totally fixed, no issues since.

I also came from a Lexus so build quality is important to me. The panel gaps on my Tesla are larger than I'm used to but they're consistent. The interior is as good as my Lexus & the OTA updates are fabulous. My Lexus had entertainment system faults which I knew were software & therefore easily repairable but Lexus were incapable of updating anything as they'd outsourced the software & didn't have a support contract!! Since I've owned my car I've been sent the Xmas Easter egg & there's an update being rolled out to add rain sensing wipers - some folks on the FB group have had it already.

EAP is brilliant and takes so much strain out of commuting motorways & tedious A roads. Got stuck in a queue behind a tractor this morning on a normally fast bit of road that I was auto-piloting & EAP just happily tagged along with everyone else until we could get past without any intervention from me.

I looked at my brother in laws Disco Sport at the weekend and after the Tesla it is sooooo cluttered, buttons & dials everywhere. Made me really appreciate the simplicity of the Tesla.

If you need a referral code to get free supercharging send me a PM :)
I hear the free supercharging has ended now, a few weeks back the dealership called and offered me free servicing if I bought one that day, he called the next day and said I had to buy before end of January as they were stopping the free supercharging permanently.

I don't make impulse buys on a Tesla so it didn't work :)

Sorry to hear you chose a Volvo @Hoot but if it works best for you ATM then it's the right decision. I wasn't pressured into buying my Tesla I chose to buy it when I did. I'd been thinking about it for a while & last Sept all the conditions I needed to made my choice came together. As a matter of interest, the referral program has renewed & the first referee to use the supplied code gets a £375 Tesla credit note to use on goodies of their choice in addition to free supercharging ;) Hope you enjoy your Volvo & come back to Tesla soon :)

I hear the free supercharging has ended now, a few weeks back the dealership called and offered me free servicing if I bought one that day, he called the next day and said I had to buy before end of January as they were stopping the free supercharging permanently.

I don't make impulse buys on a Tesla so it didn't work :)

It ended only to start again immediately. It’s not worth listening to sales folk claiming these things and it’s not a Tesla only issue, it’s a naive sales tactic they all try in different ways hoping to encourage the gullible

it’s a naive sales tactic they all try in different ways hoping to encourage the gullible

I agree that it is that, but it wouldn't surprise me,based on past performance, if the sales person had no idea that they were wrong ... because they had not received any instruction about forthcoming policy. Tesla back-office COMMs is absolutely dreadful in that regard. c.f. their Uncorking communication fiasco ...

I agree that it is that, but it wouldn't surprise me,based on past performance, if the sales person had no idea that they were wrong ... because they had not received any instruction about forthcoming policy. Tesla back-office COMMs is absolutely dreadful in that regard. c.f. their Uncorking communication fiasco ...
I do wonder if it’s a trading standards issue in the uk to claim a promotion is ending and then continue it. Just like discounts have to be against previously advertised prices for a minimum time period, a special offer should have similar criteria. It’s not unique to Tesla but it is very prevalent there

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Just got this - so I'm not sure if it time limited or not

We’re updating our Referral Programme. As a Tesla owner, you can continue to give five friends free, unlimited Supercharging with a new Model S or Model X. In addition, the next friend you refer before 30th April will also receive a £375 credit toward Tesla service or accessories

Just got this - so I'm not sure if it time limited or not

We’re updating our Referral Programme. As a Tesla owner, you can continue to give five friends free, unlimited Supercharging with a new Model S or Model X. In addition, the next friend you refer before 30th April will also receive a £375 credit toward Tesla service or accessories

They usually miss some pertinent facts like timescales which get added later, but they introduced this straight away so the ‘buy now before the deal ends’ just carried on regardless. Fake pressure to try and get sales, in fact the deal is better now than before for the first use of the code.. ‘buy now because if you wait a day we’d also chuck in several hundred pounds of accessories like a Chademo adapter’ would be more accurate.