Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-purchase questions/advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I’m looking at buying a used White Model X with white interior and black wheels in summer 2021 (promotion!) my eye is on the P90D, but I wanted to ask a few questions as my research hasn’t turned over many answers. Being that this is my first luxury and EV purchase I’m severely hesitant before dropping what I estimate to be $65K-$75K. (Shout out to anyone looking to sell at this time).

For reference, this will be my main driver for around 35miles each day. Weekends I’ll have my wife and two daughters (one booster and one car seat).

1. What is the difference in build quality, common repairs and associated tech costs between the 2017, 18 and 19 versions?
  2. Have you noticed reduced battery life or increased charging times after using ludicrous mode?
  3. For 75D owners, do you wish you went for the 90 or 100 option?
  4. Has charging ever been an issue to the point that you are stranded? If that happens what are your options?
  5. What are some features you couldn’t live without or wish you would have purchased in the first place?
  6. For those with ludicrous mode, have you noticed above average decrease in battery charge/overall battery range?
  7. What are the startup costs? As a renter I’ll probably use the lvl 1 charger.
  8. In 2021 is there still a tax credit to take advantage of?
  9. What are accessories that you consider must have?
  10. Any pointers, words of wisdom as I dive in?

While nobody knows what will be the best for you a year and a half from now, the general rule is to buy the latest model that fits your budget. Tesla has a policy of continued improvement, so newer is usually better.

Should be no tax credits available then, but things change.
120 V charging is pretty slow, especially with the long distances in Texas, so check around your area for a convenient Supercharger (fast) or a destination charger (slower) to give you a convenient charge before longer trips.
Congratulations on your upcoming promotion.
Tesla might even be making cars/trucks in your state by that time.

Model X can be a life altering vehicle.

Personally I would get a late 2016 AP2.0 w transferrable supercharging. And I like the aesthetics of the now discontinued retractable spoiler. If you don't road trip then get a 75. If you do road trip make sure to buy the common RV plugs. Those cars should be very reasonably priced next year. Budget $2500 for the MCU2 upgrade.

Unless you get so much newer so as to get the Raven PMSR motor in front, save your money. Frankly you don't save much by buying almost new.

If you get stranded simply use the app to call a tow truck. Although Tesla says not to, I carry a long heavy gauge extension cord and the mobile charger in the car just in case.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
  1. What is the difference in build quality, common repairs and associated tech costs between the 2017, 18 and 19 versions?
    1. No major differences, main control unit (MCU) updated in Mar 2018 & full self driving capability hit around Oct 2017 (FSD/AP 2.0+)
  2. Have you noticed reduced battery life or increased charging times after using ludicrous mode?
    1. With your budget, I'd go with a P/100D next year. P90D is notorious for degradation issues. Abusing ludicrous mode will deplete any of the batteries faster than normal
  3. For 75D owners, do you wish you went for the 90 or 100 option?
    1. P90D probably has the same range as the 75's now.
  4. Has charging ever been an issue to the point that you are stranded? If that happens what are your options?
    1. Car is constantly monitoring charge levels on road trips, it'll let you know in the display as far as the status. If you choose to ignore and not use the super charger (SC), then that's on you (will have to be towed $$$).
  5. What are some features you couldn’t live without or wish you would have purchased in the first place?
    1. Can't go without Autopilot on trips anymore, it's an absolute game changer. I also have the premium upgrade package (PUP), which allows the driver door to open automatically upon approach.
  6. For those with ludicrous mode, have you noticed above average decrease in battery charge/overall battery range?
    1. P90DL is addressed in #2
  7. What are the startup costs? As a renter I’ll probably use the lvl 1 charger.
    1. Not sure what you mean here. There's associated costs if you choose to install a charge port in your home and there's the additional hit to your electric bill
  8. In 2021 is there still a tax credit to take advantage of?
    1. Gone as of 2019
  9. What are accessories that you consider must have?
    1. N/A
  10. Any pointers, words of wisdom as I dive in?
    1. Get the most range/newest model that you can afford, but don't focus so much on P models only (like a 1 sec difference in 0-60 mph; not worth it IMO). Also, the over sized wheels (22's) look good but will cause a hit to range. Lastly, if you live in a cold region, your range in the winter time will be cut nearly in half at times.

While nobody knows what will be the best for you a year and a half from now, the general rule is to buy the latest model that fits your budget. Tesla has a policy of continued improvement, so newer is usually better.

Should be no tax credits available then, but things change.
120 V charging is pretty slow, especially with the long distances in Texas, so check around your area for a convenient Supercharger (fast) or a destination charger (slower) to give you a convenient charge before longer trips.
Congratulations on your upcoming promotion.
Tesla might even be making cars/trucks in your state by that time.

Model X can be a life altering vehicle.
I’m a Model 3 owner looking to get my wife into a 2016 AP1 90D X. I’ll buy it directly from Tesla and try to get one with less than 50k miles so I can get the 4 year/50k mile warranty. I’m hoping all the little nitpicky quirks have been taken care of. Wishful thinking?