Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-Raven 100D also able to support upto 200kW supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this a stealth ability that Tesla is not advertising/mentioning? Last night I was at the Fremont factory v3 Supercharger, and I ramped upto 186 kW. I started at 9%, shared a cabinet with someone upto 14%, I was stuck in the 60-70kW range. Then, when that person unplugged, I slowly started ramping up and hit a max of 186 (!!!) kW @ 24% SoC. Then, it slowly started declining. I included a couple of photos as proof. I bought my 100D in September of 2017.

I am willing to bet that if I had started out near 0, I *might* have hit 200 kW.

Attachments

• SuC_Fremont2.jpg
    SuC_Fremont2.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 358
  • SuC_Fremont.jpg
    SuC_Fremont.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 357
...when that person unplugged...

The blog says:

"Faster Charging, No More Power Sharing
Supercharger stations with V3’s new power electronics are designed to enable any owner to charge at the full power their battery can take – no more splitting power with a vehicle in the stall next to you."

But thanks for the 186kW report! Very nice!!!

The EPC lists two sets of cables between the chargeport and battery, labeling one of them by cross-sectional area.

This suggests to me that at some point Tesla changed the hardware to have a fatter cable to allow higher peak/sustained rates.

The teardowns pointed out that the cable on the 3 was much larger than the one on past S/X teardowns.

My assumption was that they changed the cable with the Raven updates and that this is why they are advertised as charging faster than the older cars are, but there's no evidence of when the change was made that I've seen, and we still don't have a v3 Raven charge cycle record to compare.

My understanding is they do share BUT .... the sharing is of 1 Megawatt between 4 cabinets so all 4 get 250kw no matter what. Am I wrong?

It's like saying two separate HPCWs on separate 100A breakers are shared in the 200A panel.

It's true that they are physically shared a 200A panel but each of can draw separately up to 80A each or 160A total.

That's not the same as two separate HPCWs are connected by a load sharing communication cable on the same 100A breaker in the 200A panel. Those 2 HPCW can only draw a maximum of 80A total.

I went to the Fremont factory again Saturday night, but was only able to get upto 156 kW. I started at 9% SoC. I talked to another Tesla owner, and he noted he was getting a lower charge rate than he was used to seeing. He was on a 250 kW (Model 3 owner), and was getting rates similar to a V2, so there might have been an issue with the V3 superchargers that night.

That's great news if it is the case for all 100 kWh batteries. For years, some people on this site have been saying the 100 kWh batteries could possibly hit 150 kW to 180 kW. After Tesla did the update earlier this year to allow 150 kW, I tested and only got 128 kW (up from 116 kW before the firmware update). A few months later, I was able to hit 146 kW.

What firmware is your car on and what is the model number of your battery? Maybe they are testing out 180 kW to 200 kW Supercharging on older cars. :)