Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-Raven Front Stator Temperature Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a '14 P85DL. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the normal operating range is for front stator temperature. I notice (via SMT) that my front stator temperature climbs over 180*F during highway cruise. This is during low torque request highway driving, around 70-75mph. The car will use the front motor almost exclusively. I tried to toggle range mode on/off, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Once I exit the highway, the rear motor gets primary use (range mode off) the temperature will drop. Leaving range mode on after exiting the highway, the temperature will drop slightly, but still stay quite higher than the rear (160-170*F).

I've attached a screenshot, as an example.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200719-220310.jpg
    Screenshot_20200719-220310.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 282
My 2013 MS RWD rear Stator temp got up to 198F today during 30min drive in 63F weather at 65mph. So I think your values are normal.

Kind of make sense as all the electric energy converts to magnetic energy to kinetic energy right where the stator is. ICE engines stays at 190F based on thermostat opening+radiator/fan but heat a much bigger block of metal / area compared to EV's stator.

My 2013 MS RWD rear Stator temp got up to 198F today during 30min drive in 63F weather at 65mph. So I think your values are normal.

Kind of make sense as all the electric energy converts to magnetic energy to kinetic energy right where the stator is. ICE engines stays at 190F based on thermostat opening+radiator/fan but heat a much bigger block of metal / area compared to EV's stator.
My Model Y motors hit 240F in the rear and 210F in the front while pre conditioning for fast charging for 6mi today. Felt a bit hot. After supercharging from 17-60% They were both back in the 140s. Battery temp hit 130F.