Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-refresh Model 3 wireless charging question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, I’m looking for some answers regarding the pre-refresh 2020 model 3s wireless charging.

From my understanding the current USB-A charging in the car is capped at about 7.5W per each USB-A, whereas the June 2020 and after have a 27W USB-C in the front (as well as the rear). I am about to do the USB-C retrofit, but I am wondering if I am even going to get an increase in charging speed if I am plugging a Jeda Hub into the two ports, and then plugging the two USB-As from the Jeda wireless charging pad (V3) into the hub. If anyone has any idea, let me know below!

I emailed Jeda a few days ago regarding this, still no response so I thought I would ask the community since it seems a good amount of people have done the retrofit.

Thanks

So I did the retrofit and installed the Jeda Hub. When I plugged in my USB-C tester into the left-most USB-C on the hub, I only got 7 watts. When I plugged it into the right-most USB-C on the hub, I pulled 20 watts! My SSD was also plugged into the internal compartment in the Jeda Hub (which is USB-A to USB-C). I am unsure if that affected the other USB-C port and lowered the power. I did not test any of the USB-A ports as I don't really plan on using them.

Hope this is useful to someone that plans on doing the retrofit and using a hub.

Reactions: jbigs