Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-Refresh Model S/X - Sentry Mode Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Better yet, don’t even assume the capabilities stay the same. They can cut the charging speed in half, reduce the pack size, change the UI to something less usable in your climate, …
Of course this is why Tesla fanatics should stop endlessly pumping how the car "CONSTANTLY GETS BETTER VIA UPDATES!!!" all over the place when we no that the reality is what you're both saying here...

Well, given a small number people are talking lawsuits if they don’t update mcu1 to mcu2 under warranty to make dash cam work better (which was never a feature when mcu1 existed), I see tesla’s point. Not worth the risk to bring new features to older cars.

Not worth the risk to bring new features

Today's new cars are tomorrow's old cars.

And 'old' in cell phone terms is a couple of years.

Somewhere in the picture is supposed to be sustainability and longevity and a less desposable approach.

IMO the whole idea of OTA is / was pushed as keeping cars up to date, current and more functional. The reality seems much different with lots of clandestine, opaque or poorly implemented / buggy / I'll thought through changes.

The number of updates compared with net benefit seems out of kilter. In fact, just the process of updating carries a risk if it screws up and a wear factor on memory chips too

If there were proper release notes offered before accepting to install that would be something.

And when there appear to be useful / functional upgrades that are demonstrated to be possible yet not implemented on capable hardware, I an even more cynical. OTA seems more about allowing Tesla free access to meddle than providing solid owner value.

Reactions: MTOman
My earliest experience with obsolescence was when "they" stopped analog cell service in February 2008. My $2000+ Jaguar factory cell phone became a relic. When I sold the Jag in 2015, that Jaguar phone, nicely fitted in the console, was still there. Also, I had to sell an Audi A8 in 2020 to buy my Tesla because all the telematics and nav features would shut down when Audi turned off their servers due to 3G cell service termination. I bought it in 2018 and it had 2 years warranty remaining, but no upgrade path for cell service. So far I am happy with my "legacy 2020" Tesla. I feel confident an upgrade to 5G will be offered at a reasonable cost in the near future, way before 4G is obsolete.