Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-refresh S / X now officially known as “Legacy” in terms of software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lowchrg

Beta Blue-balled
Oct 1, 2021
Irvine, CA
If you haven’t seen, Tesla recently released the V11 software update for all models and with that update Tesla has confirmed that S and X models as late as model year 2021 are now “legacy” and it seems a lot of new software features will not be coming to these cars in the future regardless of if there is no hardware restriction.

See the link below and the bottom of the page for reference:

The features currently unavailable are:

- Sentry Live Mode Camera View
- Blind Spot Camera
- Automatic Seat Heaters
- Lightshow
- Car Wash Mode

Possibly a few others that I’m missing.

I think it’s incredibly frustrating that owners of vehicles delivered as late as January 2021 are now owners of $100k+, single digit mileage, “legacy” cars.

What are your thoughts on this? It seems these features could be added to vertical screen vehicles but Tesla has no incentive to do so, leaving some owners in the dust with almost brand new cars.

Attachments

• BBE6FF38-1986-4C31-BD5C-42866E159132.jpeg
    BBE6FF38-1986-4C31-BD5C-42866E159132.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 1,706
Wait, seriously?? I was excited my S was gonna get these features as mine is stated to be a 2021. Nov 2020 build and I took delivery in Jan 2021. Are you sure this falls under the legacy column??

The Model Year 2021 S/X built prior to 2021 has less powerful hardware than Production Year 2021 does.

The table says 2021+ so it's unclear which 2021 that is.

Some features might still make it at a later time.
You better hope not.

Saw this same thing on the older cars with ancient hardware and all of these "features" like farts and stupid stuff soak up too many of the already limited resources. Eventually you're left with an interface that's nearly unusable because the software's needs have outpaced the hardware's capability. Some of the main features that sold these cars early on (the browser is a good example) basically became broken. I wish they had locked the cars where they were years prior to that so the basic core functions still worked properly. One last solid "bug fix and optimization" build would do this older cars the justice they deserve.

Some are complaining about this on the newer cars but they should probably be thankful as it means that their current functions should continue working as they do now. Not a bad thing. I kind of wish Tesla would take a more deliberate approach to the firmware on these older cars to assure they remain functional in perpetuity more so than getting all the latest whiz bang features at the expense of foundational functionality.

Some features might still make it at a later time.

You better hope not.

I'd be fine if the blindspot feature does not show up for the MCU2 (orig or upgraded) in the driver's display? Seems like such a natural place for it. Cannot imagine it takes too many resources since those fender/repeater images are on the backup camera display already (both at the same time + the rear camera).

08ODpIb.jpg

The Model Year 2021 S/X built prior to 2021 has less powerful hardware than Production Year 2021 does.

The table says 2021+ so it's unclear which 2021 that is.

Apparently, there were a scant few "2021" pre-refresh Model S/X which squeaked through production.

These cars are doomed to be confused for the refresh models, forever more. For example, if you go to Tirerack and try to configure a 2021 Tesla Model S, you're in Plaid land. You need to setyour model year to 2020 to get the right options. Etc.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
You better hope not.

Saw this same thing on the older cars with ancient hardware and all of these "features" like farts and stupid stuff soak up too many of the already limited resources. Eventually you're left with an interface that's nearly unusable because the software's needs have outpaced the hardware's capability. Some of the main features that sold these cars early on (the browser is a good example) basically became broken. I wish they had locked the cars where they were years prior to that so the basic core functions still worked properly. One last solid "bug fix and optimization" build would do this older cars the justice they deserve.

Some are complaining about this on the newer cars but they should probably be thankful as it means that their current functions should continue working as they do now. Not a bad thing. I kind of wish Tesla would take a more deliberate approach to the firmware on these older cars to assure they remain functional in perpetuity more so than getting all the latest whiz bang features at the expense of foundational functionality.
Actually you bring up a very good point. It would be really amazing if all these "extra features" could be added or removed like apps instead of having to be integral part of the software.
Fore example, I'm not a gamer, so I would just choose not to install any of the games, but I would select useful features instead.
That way the software wouldn't be bloated with stuff that I don't care about. Another owner would have the option to add or remove "apps" available for that model.

I'd be fine if the blindspot feature does not show up for the MCU2 (orig or upgraded) in the driver's display? Seems like such a natural place for it. Cannot imagine it takes too many resources since those fender/repeater images are on the backup camera display already (both at the same time + the rear camera).

08ODpIb.jpg
This actually pisses me off, Tesla took the easy way out with no customization for S/X which does have a driver's display.

Apparently, there were a scant few "2021" pre-refresh Model S/X which squeaked through production.

These cars are doomed to be confused for the refresh models, forever more. For example, if you go to Tirerack and try to configure a 2021 Tesla Model S, you're in Plaid land. You need to setyour model year to 2020 to get the right options. Etc.
Absolutely confusing, IMO. I am one of the few that owns a pre-refresh MX delivered in mid-December 2020 so it's just over a year old. Unfortunately, it's already a 'legacy' vehicle with limited software upgrades, I suppose.

However, i'm thinking that mine being a '2021', it may help me with resale value. Maybe? Who knows. Maybe a place like Carvana won't know and make me a huge offer!

It’s a shame that Tesla won’t allow those of us with older cars to have all the new features. One that would be very frustrating is to have a newer S or X that can’t get features the 3 from 2018 gets. It’s frustrating for us with a 2016 S with MCU2, and it must be much worse for ppl with 2019 or 2020 S/X.
I hear you BUT…folks are buying new MY for what I paid for my MSLR and if you bought in 2020 when it hit 69k you have no business complaining IMO. You could easily trade in your S now for more than you paid and upgrade to a plaid it get all the features you want. Winning either way you look at it…

Reactions: Sigma4Life
While I understand that some a the missing features might be related to Vertical vs Horizontal screens
these two features:
- Sentry Live Mode Camera View
- Automatic Seat Heaters

Are features that are more related to the App on phone. So I fail to see what we are missing in our legacy cars. I just paid for MCU2/HW3 upgrade to be
told I'm not getting these?