Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-refresh S / X now officially known as “Legacy” in terms of software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not up to speed on the issue (and too busy/lazy to search for an answer right this minute). Do we know/suspect why certain cars are not getting BSMs and live camera SM video. Is it a hardware deficit? (I.e., do our cars have to be retrofitted for something? Mine is as new as it can be without being a refreshed version, so I wouldn't think so.)

In my previous car, a 2017 Honda Clarity hydrogen fuel cell vehicle, the center screen would switch to the rear-facing passenger-side-mirror camera full-screen view when signaling a right turn. I liked that safety feature. Tesla should provide that to all cars asap. Left turns are where I really could use a side-camera rear-facing view because of the blind spot and a tendency for cars to the left to approach and pass rapidly.

I am not up to speed on the issue (and too busy/lazy to search for an answer right this minute). Do we know/suspect why certain cars are not getting BSMs and live camera SM video. Is it a hardware deficit? (I.e., do our cars have to be retrofitted for something? Mine is as new as it can be without being a refreshed version, so I wouldn't think so.)

In my previous car, a 2017 Honda Clarity hydrogen fuel cell vehicle, the center screen would switch to the rear-facing passenger-side-mirror camera full-screen view when signaling a right turn. I liked that safety feature. Tesla should provide that to all cars asap. Left turns are where I really could use a side-camera rear-facing view because of the blind spot and a tendency for cars to the left to approach and pass rapidly.
Any car with a vertical screen does not get these features. They are only for cars with a horizontal center screen. It seems the only limitation is time of the programmers at Tesla who would have to do different programming for these features to work on vertical screen cars.

...Do all Legacy S/X have free premium connectivity for life?...

Unfortunately, no. At some point (June 30, 2018?) it became a monthly subscription for all cars (following a year or 30-day trial period).

Rhetorical: When was that mythical sweet spot in the Models S/X histories? That perfect time when:
  • Supercharging was free for life.
  • Premium Connectivity was free for life.
  • FSD was the least expensive.
  • Onboard computers and other hardware were as new as possible.
  • Tesla was providing the most free swag at car delivery.
  • Federal and state subsidies, credits, and bonuses for electric cars were at their highest.
  • The free use of diamond lane stickers lasted the longest.
  • Tax breaks were at their largest.
  • Tesla referral rewards were the best and most plentiful.
  • Chronic production and quality-control issues had mostly been alleviated.
  • MSRPs were at the lowest possible.
  • Mileage range was as high as possible.
  • They were still giving free (Fremont) assembly plant tours.
  • It was not an election year.
  • And there was no Covid.
Forget going back in time to Dallas, or Bethlehem, or Roswell in the 1950s. I would make a bank withdrawal, get in the Way-Back, and head for that special point in Tesla history. 🙂

It seems the only limitation is time of the programmers at Tesla who would have to do different programming for these features to work on vertical screen cars.
Yeah, they need to focus on more important things like Sonic The Hedgehog…

Frankly, with so many bugs in V11, I would be happy if they put me back on V10 and leave it there for the rest of the cars life.

Last edited:
Any car with a vertical screen does not get these features. They are only for cars with a horizontal center screen. It seems the only limitation is time of the programmers at Tesla who would have to do different programming for these features to work on vertical screen cars.
I'm nor so sure. The cams work - just not activated with the turn signal. Arguably could say NOT including legacy owners is more labor/code intensive.

Reactions: ElectricIAC

I'm nor so sure. The cams work - just not activated with the turn signal. Arguably could say NOT including legacy owners is more labor/code intensive.

This prompts my memory... When driving my 'Legacy' Model X I normally have the (vertical) screen set with the navigation map on top (~2/3-3/4 of screen) and a view from the rear camera at the bottom (~1/4-1/3 of screen). Very helpful (since it is difficult to use the center rear-view mirror to see out of the rear trunk window. I haven't tried recently, but I think I could substitute a side view at the bottom? Also, when I put the car in reverse sometimes (not always) the map disappears and the screen suddenly shows three or four multiple (small) camera views--both sides, reverse, and forward, I think.

Anyway, since it already has this programmed capability (i.e., to show all four directions simultaneously or to show one camera view), I have to think that it would be relatively easy to display the appropriate side camera view when a turn signal was activated. A little additional work, yes, but not too difficult, I would think.

I honestly don’t understand why people care about these gimmicky features. I’d just like to get my excellent v10 UI back, I deeply hate this winter experience now. This update makes me spend much more time looking at the screen instead of the road.

Adjusting seat heaters, defog, defrost etc all moved to a frigging pop up window with tiny icons. While at it, they made it possible to add the fart pillow to the quick launch bar and removed most actually essential things. Who’s brain child is this update?

• Helpful
Reactions: ElectricIAC
How so? I would think that the team working on V11 for the vertical screen just skipped programming the pop up camera view. While the team working on it for the horizontal screens did that programming. I’m not quite following how skipping some programming was more work…
I honestly don’t understand why people care about these gimmicky features. I’d just like to get my excellent v10 UI back, I deeply hate this winter experience now. This update makes me spend much more time looking at the screen instead of the road.

Adjusting seat heaters, defog, defrost etc all moved to a frigging pop up window with tiny icons. While at it, they made it possible to add the fart pillow to the quick launch bar and removed most actually essential things. Who’s brain child is this update?
I agree completely. That’s why we waited until we had our RCCB cameras to install it so we could get FSD Beta, but now it’s a month with our RCCB cameras & still no FSD Beta! 😡