Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-refresh S / X now officially known as “Legacy” in terms of software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uh.. car wash would me useful to me? Is there some technical reason a 2016 X can't have car wash? No one is going to claim this is about screen orientation or CPU capability right?

It's a successful business strategy called planned obsolescence: Want a car wash mode bad enough? This will entice owners to buy a brand new car!

Uh.. car wash would me useful to me? Is there some technical reason a 2016 X can't have car wash? No one is going to claim this is about screen orientation or CPU capability right?

Model 3/Y have the same CPU(s) so all that is pure nonsense anyway. They are just more mass market so they get the updates.

Mental note: stick to the lower cost, higher volume Teslas if you wish to remain as a good customer.

The blind spot thing is dumb. Distract the driver right when the driver should be looking out the window to check six. It's a fisheye and we aren't good at gauging closing speeds and distances on fisheyes, so what's it for? It's a blinkenlight. And, I suspect a hardware limitation somewhere in the system as well, it always takes a few beats to load those cameras from the camera launcher while driving. Has to be instant to be wroth a dang, (but it's not worth a dang anyway, for the foregoing reasons).

My bet is they know this and this is yet another early public guinea pig test for doing away with side mirrors to save costs. Of course, mirror cams are mature tech at this point but Tesla doesn't want to buy it from Bosch or Continental. If they can habituate people to looking *inside* the car to change lanes...they're all set to sell it as "safe" to the regulators instead of putting the displays out on the doors where other manufacturers with rearview cameras are doing. That's expensive, but they already have a giant screen in the car! Why add features when you can clutter your only interface instead

I wouldn't mind the ability to put the suspension screen at my fingertips but otherwise, I really like the software as currently constituted on my car (2021.44.6), it's the least buggy most stable least phantom brakey version so far. This update was pushed to me *this month*. But the cars aren't supported? Ok I guess that's a long time in dog years, and maybe because mine's newer I'm getting more support, but, yeesh. Tough crowd

Just gotta get used to only hearing trans siberian orchestra and only being able to fart at people from inside the car, instead of talk to them, which me and people outside both probably prefer honestly

Also, mine goes through a touchless wash just fine, this confuses me, are people using touch washes and having issues?

There's a lot to hate about Tesla but not getting the latest "let's see how much BS our fanboys are willing to tolerate and still order three cars a year" software isn't one of my gripes and I wouldn't expect the mostly old farts who own Model X and S to be in that category either but hey this is the abuse department so I guess I don't know what I expected ha

Last edited:
Tesla decided to not allocate any more effort to the vertically challenged models.
Legacy: "denoting or relating to software or hardware that has been superseded but is difficult to replace because of its wide use."

We have been superseded

I truly don’t get the bellyaching. No other car company updates their cars abilities after you purchase it…certainly not without some cost associated. Did I miss something in my purchase agreement that promised all updates for as long as I own the car?

I truly don’t get the bellyaching. No other car company updates their cars abilities after you purchase it…certainly not without some cost associated. Did I miss something in my purchase agreement that promised all updates for as long as I own the car?
What we were promised and paid a significant amount of money for 5 years ago was a software upgradeable car that would have full self driving. That promise by Tesla was meaningful enough to include at least 3 significant hardware upgrades over several years to achieve that promise. What some other car company does has no bearing on Tesla or their commitment to their customers.

Reactions: Lleo and KArnold

Tesla decided to not allocate any more effort to the vertically challenged models.
Legacy: "denoting or relating to software or hardware that has been superseded but is difficult to replace because of its wide use."

Hmm ... I was pretty sure us Legacy owners don't have car wash because our windows can't be rolled up automatically. True when we use the 'vent' feature from the app and it warns us that they can't be put up ... correct? Is my memory failing on this topic?

Personally, I don't know why we still can't get carwash mode but put a dang message for us to manually roll up the windows.

What we were promised and paid a significant amount of money for 5 years ago was a software upgradeable car that would have full self driving. That promise by Tesla was meaningful enough to include at least 3 significant hardware upgrades over several years to achieve that promise. What some other car company does has no bearing on Tesla or their commitment to their customers.
People are bellyaching about WAY more than FSD tho. They want every new feature on the most current cars. That's absurd.

Hmm ... I was pretty sure us Legacy owners don't have car wash because our windows can't be rolled up automatically. True when we use the 'vent' feature from the app and it warns us that they can't be put up ... correct? Is my memory failing on this topic?

Personally, I don't know why we still can't get carwash mode but put a dang message for us to manually roll up the windows.
You can roll the windows up from 3rd party apps just not the Tesla app. Another thing Tesla put us into Legacy awhile ago. They just don’t want to take the time to program these features in for us, they already got their 100k plus from us we’re old news.

You can roll the windows up from 3rd party apps just not the Tesla app. Another thing Tesla put us into Legacy awhile ago. They just don’t want to take the time to program these features in for us, they already got their 100k plus from us we’re old news.
So you are saying you get this message in the Tesla App on your car? Then you are saying you have a 3rd party app with some magical API that the Tesla App can't use? That doesn't sound logical to me. I was pretty sure it was a hardware issue and that changed.
rW2cH3v.jpg