Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-roadtrip checks and Maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my Model X for almost a year now without any problems. I am about to go on a long roadtrip. Does anything needing lubing, topping off, checking? What components can I check on my own? I am an engineer, so details would be great! Tire tread is fine, and windshield fluid is full :)

Also, for maintenance, the Tesla sales guy said I should take it in for checkups every 6 months and not to wait any longer than 12 months. Is this sales talk or do Teslas seriously need this many checkups? How much is a checkup, and does it complete the same day?

Thanks for you help!!

Annual maintenance is probably more than enough.
Tire tread and pressure (keep an eye on the inside edge of the tire since the X on Low suspension tends to wear that the most). Washer fluid if you use a lot. Everything else is sealed or lightly used as far as I know.

I just make sure I have the stuff I need for emergencies. Tire repair kit and inflator, UMC and adapters, water in a spray bottle and paper towels. A hat in case the sun visor isn't adequate. A pillow to adjust my driving position. A cargo liner for the stuff in the back. Tesla roadside assistance number (haven't needed it yet) and a phone. Water and snacks. A list of the superchargers you want to use (if you have used a trip planner).

• Informative
Reactions: tmxninja and VikH
Take the maintenance list that you would do previously. Look for the items that now apply.

Throw away the list, since nothings exists anymore. Just fillup before you leave and have an idea of what all of your charger options are. Dependent on where you are going and charging options, you may throw an extension cord and adapters in the car.

Reactions: spectrum
The car is like an iPhone. Do you do preventative maintenance before going on vacation with your phone?

Its awesome there are no moving parts but if that 12V battery decides its done or if some wiring harness is loose you are F-ed. There is no forewarning unlike an ICE where you can hear or feel something strange. Luckily havent been stranded on a trip with S or X but have been stranded locally where its not as big of a deal.

Ultimately prayer is probably the best thing to do before long trip.

The car is like an iPhone. Do you do preventative maintenance before going on vacation with your phone?

No, thank the car gods my car is not like my phone. I get voicemails weeks later, wifi glitches, etc.

How often do people take their Tesla in for inspections/checkups and how long does the appointment take? I take in my gas car after 3 years. Would this apply for the Tesla too?

Last edited:
The only thing I did not see in your list was tire pressure.

Annual maintenance is fine, although even that is completely optional. Every six months is a waste of $600, unless something is broken, but then that is not "just a checkup." The "annual" checkup is suggested for folks that otherwise have not been in the SC. Every time your car is touched, the techs do all the fluids, tires, wipers other routine stuff.

Thanks DCGOO. Windshield fluid, tires, wipes are things I take care of myself on all my cars. Is there value in going in every year otherwise?

All of those items are covered warranty. It is not possible to replace your own wipers (only available from Tesla). It is probably worthwhile to have the alignment checked, most folks cannot do that themselves. There is a coolant change done at 2 years which you also cannot do yourself.

Personally, I skipped the year one service, and was a little early on the second year (22,000 miles).

Last edited:
All of those items are covered warranty. It is not possible to replace your own wipers (only available from Tesla). It is probably worthwhile to have the alignment checked, most folks cannot do that themselves. There is a coolant change done at 2 years which you also cannot do yourself.

Personally, I skipped the year one service, and was a little early on the second year (22,000 miles).

Good to know! Tesla replaces wipers as a part of annual service, or is it additional to annual service (assuming I didn't pre-purchase service plan)?

For the battery coolant replacement, Tesla website says "every 8 years or 100,000 miles"
Maintenance Plans | Model S and Model X

Good to know! Tesla replaces wipers as a part of annual service, or is it additional to annual service (assuming I didn't pre-purchase service plan)?

For the battery coolant replacement, Tesla website says "every 8 years or 100,000 miles"
Maintenance Plans | Model S and Model X

The wipers are replaced as needed, probably during the annual service, but maybe not. Could be more often, perhaps less. Depends on how much you use them. But a warranty item in any case. According to the maintenance schedule in the owners manual, Battery coolant is a 4 year item. The 2 year item is brake fluid. I misspoke.

You can pre-pay for service checkups and get a small discount, or at the time of service. It does not affect your coverage in the slightest. The only thing you may need to buy is two or four years of continuing warranty beyond the four years that is included. This is discounted a little if you buy within 6 months of delivery, but you can buy anytime during the 4 year warranty.

BTW, this is all covered in the paperwork you received at closing, and the owners manual. That is where I looked it up.

You should be fine, that many miles won't matter.

For service, at 2 years I did the 1 and 2 year service combined, since it was in the shop during first year off and on, etc being an early X. The combined service was like $1100 or so, and they also did a recommended brake cleaning for cold climates that was a bit more.

The main thing in the 1 year is the drive fluid replacement; other items are kinda unnecessary or you can do them (fob battery, wipers may not need it, etc.).

They told me to just come in and do the 4 year service in a couple years unless I need to for an issue before them. So I'll probably do the 4 year service, then maybe start every year after that (they just repeat mainly) if I go for the ESA for 2 or 4 years, haven't decided yet on that but you have to do service after the start of ESA to keep it valid.

You should be fine, that many miles won't matter.

For service, at 2 years I did the 1 and 2 year service combined, since it was in the shop during first year off and on, etc being an early X. The combined service was like $1100 or so, and they also did a recommended brake cleaning for cold climates that was a bit more.

The main thing in the 1 year is the drive fluid replacement; other items are kinda unnecessary or you can do them (fob battery, wipers may not need it, etc.).

They told me to just come in and do the 4 year service in a couple years unless I need to for an issue before them. So I'll probably do the 4 year service, then maybe start every year after that (they just repeat mainly) if I go for the ESA for 2 or 4 years, haven't decided yet on that but you have to do service after the start of ESA to keep it valid.

FYI. They don’t do drive fluid replacement any more.

I had it done a couple months ago, that was recent if they changed that. I see they did remove it from the maintenance schedule.

Wonder why they stopped, but not be any concern with new builds having particulates that destroy it over time I guess now. Guess that is a good thing.

I only know due to the couple of other threads here on TMC about it. If I recall correctly it was because Tesla feels it no longer needs to be changed as the parts are better now. YMMV

Drive unit fluid replacement wasn't a scheduled maintenance thing for the longest time for Model S. Then they added it for year one for a little bit, then removed it again. My guess is it was redundant and unnecessary.

Not exactly the same but how many people are replacing automatic transmission fluid at 12,500 miles? Last i checked the drive unit uses some variation of ATF fluid.