Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Precondition battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a message while charging last night that perhaps next time I should navigate to a supercharger in order to precondition the battery for faster charging and all that jazz, which is fine, but what if I'm using a rapid (wasn't so rapid as it happens at 33kwh) charger which isn't a supercharger? I'm assuming there isnt a way to manually precondition the battery while driving unless navigating to a supercharger?

I believe if the car thinks you are navigating to any high power charger (i guess at 100kw+) it will pre-heat. I noticed the other day that Ionity were now showing up if you search for a rapid charger on the navigation and if you select it, the car does pre-condition. Not sure if it will do it for memorised rapid charger locations, need to give it a try.

• Informative
Reactions: plisken
As far as I'm aware, the only current workaround is to say you're navigating to a supercharger, then just drive to the rapid one. The app also has an option to precondition the car but I think that's no different than just engaging climate control and warming up the car but every little helps!

Much of the slow speed at rapids is due to the slow speed of rapids vs the advertised power. What arrives in the battery is very different to what should be arriving at the battery based upon the advertised power and billed amount. I haven't used rapids very often, but when I first encountered it, such was the differential that I though that I had been double sold VAT as it was almost exactly a 20% difference between what I was billed for and what the car actually stored in its battery. Other losses are sitting in the car with heat and infotainment on (potentially 7kW or more if it was actively heating). I bet if you had pulled up to a supercharger after a semi decent drive without pre conditioning you would have got significantly more than 33kW which would have shown that the car wasn't the limiting factor.

Reactions: Pink Duck
I read something on Facebook that if you've previously used the specific rapid charger you want to charge at, you can find it in your charging history and navigate to it that way and it will precondition. Anyone know if this is true?

I have only used 50kw rapids a few times but those occasions Scan My Tesla showed the car heating the battery with 7kw of power even though the battery was hot enough already to receive twice that. What I don't know is of there is communication between the EVSE and car which tells maximum possible.

In both my experiences all is has meant is sitting longer at the charger for now benefit.

Even with all that I echo what Vanilla says. Rarely seem to get 50 regardless of where the car is spending it.