Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Precondition car plugged in vs not plugged in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would bet money that preconditioning before driving always uses more electricity than just letting the car warm up as it drives.

The reasons to precondition are:
  • If you can precondition while plugged in, then you can minimize battery use while driving. The extra electricity to precondition can come from the wall instead.
  • If you like the experience of starting your drive with a warmed up car - more power and regen available, and a warm cabin.
Having greater regen available from the start of a drive could help compensate for some of the preconditioning energy use, but I don't think it would ever compensate for all of it even in stop-n-go rush hour traffic.
Driving the car in cold weather without preconditioning can effect the battery life. When plugged in while preconditioning the power to does not come from the Battery at all and only comes from the wall connector. Since the battery does not need to be topped up, it creates less wear on the battery.

It shouldn't affect battery life because drawing energy from a cold lithium ion battery doesn't cause harm. It's charging quickly while cold that can be bad for the battery and that's why Teslas reduce regen to a safe level in that situation.
That's my understanding too. (I'm not a battery expert by any means though!) Also max power will be limited by a cold battery, but again you're not going to harm a modern S3XY Tesla from it, the car will protect itself.

That said, by preheating with wall power you will avoid a bit of extra cycle wear on the battery. That may have been @MikeHolliday's point, and that is real, even if the actual long-term battery health effect is likely lost in the noise for any given car/battery. I wouldn't stress at all about this. Anyone who can plug in easily every night should do so, but if you can't, don't stress at all, the car will take care of itself. The only thing to avoid is parking overnight in the cold with very low battery level. Give her a charge before a cold bedtime!

Preheating without wall power isn't going to avoid any cycle wear though, as far as I know. If anything, I expect it will use overall more energy from the battery than just not preheating - therefore more cycle wear. But again, I wouldn't stress about this difference so long as you're able to park with a solid charge. If you like driving a preheated car, just do it, even if you can't leave it on a plug overnight.

Also, from what I've seen - not consistent data, just lots of anecdotes - time age is typically a bigger factor than cycle wear on Tesla NCA batteries, unless they've gone through excessively stressful events e.g. very deep discharge. (No idea if LFP might be different, I know it's said to maintain capacity better.) Your battery is going to degrade no matter what. Use it however works best for you and enjoy the car. Plug in whenever it's convenient, but when it's not, don't stress about it, just maintain a decent charge in the cold overnight and you're solid.

I had a long talk last your with a few of the guys in the service center. They explained that Lithium Ion Batteries do not like to operate at low temperatures and that operating them when they are cold puts a strain on them. Read this: How To Store Lithium-Ion Batteries During The Winter - NexGen Batteries This is true for ALL Lithium Ion Batteries...

Warm your battery before using it: Still planning to use your lithium-ion battery-powered vehicles during the winter? A quick and easy tip is to turn on the vehicle for a few minutes before driving. Batteries generate internal heat when they are used. Simply turning on your vehicle will cause the battery to heat up. After a few minutes, your battery should be warm enough to safely use without consequences.

I had a long talk last your with a few of the guys in the service center. They explained that Lithium Ion Batteries do not like to operate at low temperatures and that operating them when they are cold puts a strain on them. Read this: How To Store Lithium-Ion Batteries During The Winter - NexGen Batteries This is true for ALL Lithium Ion Batteries...

Warm your battery before using it: Still planning to use your lithium-ion battery-powered vehicles during the winter? A quick and easy tip is to turn on the vehicle for a few minutes before driving. Batteries generate internal heat when they are used. Simply turning on your vehicle will cause the battery to heat up. After a few minutes, your battery should be warm enough to safely use without consequences.
I'm not doubting this per se, but there's been so much bad and clearly wrong advice from well-intentioned service center staff over the years, it's difficult to blindly trust their recommendations. Has Tesla (not random service center staff) written anything official on this? If this is real I'll change my habits to always precondition even when not plugged in. I often do anyways just for comfort, but I'm not consistent about it.

(Not saying service center staff usually give bad advice, just that it does happen and there's lots of examples people have posted on these forums where we truly know better. Sometimes the bad advice is even in direct conflict with Tesla's official documentation.)

Read any article you wish on Lithium Ion Batteries and you will learn that using a cold Lithium Ion Battery can cause internal damage.... That is why I attached the article, so that others could read it. Lithium Ion Batteries regardless of the manufacturer, suffer from the same shortfalls. The above article specifically states.

At their core, all batteries serve these two purposes. Lithium-ion batteries have become extremely popular because they do these two things so well. While lithium-ion batteries handle cold weather better than most battery chemistries, temperatures too high or too low still compromise their ability to store and release energy.

Cold temperature increases the internal resistance and lowers the capacity. A battery that provides 100 percent capacity at 80°F will typically deliver only 50 percent at 0°F. Put simply, cold weather will decrease the lifespan of your battery because it will require charging more often. Lithium-ion batteries have a certain number of charging cycles before they are no longer usable. Thus, how you store your batteries when you aren’t using them is important. To ensure your battery survives the winter, follow the steps listed below.

Cold Weather​

When temperature drops, range can decrease due to extra energy demands on the battery. Cold batteries use more energy to maintain optimal operating temperature. Cold weather also limits regenerative braking capability. Though some range effects aren’t completely avoidable in cold temperatures, there are some ways to mitigate them.

• Keep your Tesla plugged in whenever possible. This will help the battery retain some heat. The onboard computer will automatically prevent over-charging.
  • Precondition the battery before turning on your Tesla. When possible, plug in and charge while you precondition.
  • Limit high use of heat and air conditioning. Instead, use seat heaters to keep cabin climate at optimal temperature.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
That wording from Tesla does sound like they're recommending to precondition always, even if not plugged in.

So I guess the only times to avoid preconditioning are:
  • When you can't plug in and you need to really maximize highway range upon departure. (In this scenario you won't get much regen benefit from preconditioning, so it's really only going to take away range.)
  • When Tesla's controls and scheduling for preconditioning are not flexible enough. Like if the car is parked underground without connectivity and your departure times aren't consistent...you just don't have a way to precondition then, short of sitting in the car for a while / extra trip down to the garage (who's got time for that? :D).
Otherwise...always precondition it seems.

@MikeHolliday - I read them all but none of the articles you cite support your statement that using a cold battery can damage it. What those articles say is that by preconditioning the battery you can increase the range achieved. They do not say that if you don't precondition it can damage your battery.

Also, Tesla's staff have at times been known to give inaccurate information.

That wording from Tesla does sound like they're recommending to precondition always, even if not plugged in.

No, the article that quote is from is their article about how to get the maximum range the from battery. It is not a recommendation that one should always precondition normally outside of a desire to maximize range.

At -5C, if I don't precondition the car for the first drive of the day, except for a few minutes to warm up the cabin, I find I have zero regen braking but as the drive progress, regen becomes available. Takes about 15 to 20 minutes for regen to start to kick in. However, once it does start to kick in, I could be parked for an hour or two and just a few minutes of heat to warm up the inside and I still have regen. Looks like the batteries once warm hold their warmth quite well.

Reactions: CarlThompson
I use all electric battery-operated EGO lawn equipment and they don't function at all if I keep their batteries stored in cold temps. In fact, the batteries have an led indicator (red flashing light) to show when it is malfunctioning. I learned the hard way in the first year of ownership when I kept them in my shed. They fail to start if they are too cold before I insert them into my snow blower, for instance. When I called EGO, they made a similar statement to that of Tesla about proper maintenance for Li batteries. Since, that time, I have kept them in doors where they don't drop below acceptable functioning temperatures.

Reactions: MikeHolliday
Please help a Tesla noob here.. 2021 SR+ and I live in a condo with no charger or internet (car parked in basement level 4. Good news I’m yet to see the ❄️ and I live in Toronto even when it’s -1 C outside the car park seems to be around 10-11C. Question do I need to precondition before I take the car out? I can’t remotely control it via the app and have to take the elevator down 20 stories to turn the cabin heat on? Can I just turn the heat on for 5mins before I drive? Is there an ideal time? My friend don’t worry abt preconditioning since driving the car heats up the battery too and the only perk is I’ll have regen and Tesla battery management system is pretty good compared to most other EVs..
From what I saw from Bjørn Nyland videos, the car preconditions the batteries until they reach 10C, so if that's the temperature the car sits at, I don't think you need any preconditioning. Just a few minutes of warm air to get the cabin to the temperature you're comfortable at.

Reactions: CarlZ