Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Precondition is ready 15 minutes early?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm talking about "Preconditioning" as in pre-heating, before a scheduled departure (not before arriving at a Supercharger). Mine consistently has my cabin temperature ready exactly 15 minutes before the scheduled time. Is this normal (like a limo driver showing up 15 minutes early, so they'll never keep you waiting), or is it a bug? Because it's consistent, it's easy to work with (I set it for 15 minutes after my expected departure), so I'm more curious than concerned.

my 3 is similar i have noticed. not sure as to why but ill take it vs my pervious cars where i had to go out and start it or PRAY it wasn't hot/cold out previous trip and that i had the heat set/cooling set correctly when remote starting (08 civic aftermarket remote start)

This can also happen if you use Scheduled Departure Charging. Charging may complete up to 20+ minutes prior to the set departure time. The Tesla Model Y's battery management system seems to over compensate when charging in cold weather when battery warming may extend the time needed to charge. The Tesla Model Y may also allow additional time for cell balancing at the end of the charging session.

As far as normal preconditioning (something I do all the time) I notice that I receive a notification from the Tesla app that the passenger cabin has reached the desired temperature when the cabin temperature displayed in the Tesla app is still ~5 degrees lower than the set cabin temperature. Not sure if this is the same issue you are experiencing. It could be the Tesla Model Y compensating for the time it takes you to exit your home and enter the Tesla vehicle. In my experience the time for the temperature difference at the time of the "Your desired cabin temperature has been reached" notification and the passenger cabin actually reaching the desired temperature takes an additional couple of minutes.

It could be the Tesla Model Y compensating for the time it takes you to exit your home and enter the Tesla vehicle. In my experience the time for the temperature difference at the time of the "Your desired cabin temperature has been reached" notification and the passenger cabin actually reaching the desired temperature takes an additional couple of minutes.
Thanks - I've not actually checked it, but I'll pay attention next time. Good to know it's kinda standard.

I realize this is an old thread, but I found it because I noticed preconditioning was starting really early and I definitely didn’t need it to run that long to cool the car. Does anyone use preconditioning for summertime? I decided to turn off preconditioning and keep on scheduled charging. I just turn on the climate 5 minutes before I leave now. But the winter time might be a different story. My garage doesn’t get too hot in the summer, but gets pretty cold in the winter.

I just figured it aasumes a worst case and my usual precondition situation is mild temps (upper 70s) so it doesn't take nearly as long to cool down. But then I've only had the car since mid June.

I just wish we had more scheduling options than just every day or weekdays...

I realize this is an old thread, but I found it because I noticed preconditioning was starting really early and I definitely didn’t need it to run that long to cool the car. Does anyone use preconditioning for summertime? I decided to turn off preconditioning and keep on scheduled charging. I just turn on the climate 5 minutes before I leave now. But the winter time might be a different story. My garage doesn’t get too hot in the summer, but gets pretty cold in the winter.
What is “really early”? It targets to finish approximately 15 minutes before your desired time. The extra 10 minutes uses up like 0.12 kW. Pretty minuscule especially if it’s plugged in.

Reactions: cbigfoot
I’d rather it get done early To bring the seats down to temp too. like yesterday it was parked outside all day in the sun with a sun shade In front widow it got up to 130 i manually set the ac ~15 mins before leaving and the seats where cool and no burn touching seat belt buckle.

even per my energy monitor screen when i got in my car sentry Had burned 2.7% climate was 0.2%

I just figured it aasumes a worst case and my usual precondition situation is mild temps (upper 70s) so it doesn't take nearly as long to cool down. But then I've only had the car since mid June.

I just wish we had more scheduling options than just every day or weekdays...
God, i sound like a broken record.…. Tessie solves the scheduling request.

God, i sound like a broken record.…. Tessie solves the scheduling request.
Yes, but it's an ongoing subscription or a substantial one-time purchase. I'm not sure it's worth it just for that functionality (since most of the other features I either don't care about or already have through other apps).

The annoyance factor hasn't gotten high enough yet, I guess. Though I'd happily trade this stupid rattling overpriced sunshade...

Yes, but it's an ongoing subscription or a substantial one-time purchase. I'm not sure it's worth it just for that functionality (since most of the other features I either don't care about or already have through other apps).

The annoyance factor hasn't gotten high enough yet, I guess. Though I'd happily trade this stupid rattling overpriced sunshade...

Yea, I hate subscriptions too. In this case it just gave me so much function I lived w/it. YMMV.

Is that rattling shade the new gen 2 ortifon I'm reluctant to even install?