Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preconditiong Battery For Supercharging When Parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My situation: I'm staying at my in-laws and the evening temps are dropping into the 20s (Fahrenheit). There is a Supercharger about 10 mins away. We are leaving in the early morning and need to charge before hitting the highway. When you are on the road, you can set your destination for a Supercharger and the BMS will start warming the battery 30+ mins to arrival for Supercharging, at this temp. How do I get the BMS to start warming the battery for Supercharging when parked only 10 mins away? I don't need interior preconditiong, just the battery. I don't want to set the supercharger as my destination and have to wait in the car prior to leaving for while the battery warms up. Any ideas?

Interesting question, although I don't think I can help you with that. I have enough trouble just getting the music to stay on in my car while I'm not actually sitting in it (for tailgating purposes). But you're right--a 10 minute drive will barely warm the battery at all. The last time I was at my in-laws in March and temps were right around 30, the preconditioning started WELL over 30 minutes prior to arrival (more like 2 hours).

That said, if it was me, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Sure, that first charge is going to be a little more lengthy, but will it be significant? Also, I'm not sure if this is a possibility or not, but I would be (and do when I am at my in-laws) plugging into a 120V outlet. In my case, over the course of a visit I am able to get back to 100% and thus skip over all the nearby Superchargers altogether (which is a huge benefit, as unlike the end of the trip where we are stopping to pee every 90 minutes, we can usually go 4 hours at the beginning!) Also, and maybe it's too late for this because you are already there, but could you visit the Supercharger on the inbound side rather than the outbound side and effectively skip that Supercharger on the outbound trip?