Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preconditioning automatically turning in heated screens

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Evening. I’ve been preconditioning my M3 past few nights with no issues. Leaving at 0630 for work. I’ve gone in to the app this evening to check all is ok and the app is automatically including the heated steering wheel and front and rear screen. I haven’t requested this. I’ve been in to the car itself and checked these settings are not on in the vehicle. I’ve deleted the app, reset the car, nothing has changed. Anyone else experiencing this? Is this normal? Is it the car being clever, knowing it’s going to be -3 overnight? I did set the seat to come on but that’s it. The screens will NOT turn off unless I’m in the car itself. Any ideas?

Attachments

• C3CF72F4-82FA-49FA-8221-398CA5A48768.png
    C3CF72F4-82FA-49FA-8221-398CA5A48768.png
    700.2 KB · Views: 170
I noticed my MIC 3 SR+ did this the other day I can only presume if it thinks the windows need defrosting it will put the defrosting mode on as well. Thinking about it there is generally no point in warming the car if you cannot see where you are driving :) Tesla appear to be moving steadily in the direction of auto everything possibly moving eventually to self driving?

Reactions: Price74 and btc1k
I assumed this was pretty normal. Whenever I've turned it on (pressing that power button in the bottom left of that image) it has invariably started defrosting/demisting the front and rear screens also.

I noticed my MIC 3 SR+ did this the other day I can only presume if it thinks the windows need defrosting it will put the defrosting mode on as well. Thinking about it there is generally no point in warming the car if you cannot see where you are driving :) Tesla appear to be moving steadily in the direction of auto everything possibly moving eventually to self driving?
Only started last night for me! Nice to know I’m not alone! Maybe it is the car being really clever and heating the lot! Horribly cold overnight and at 0620!

Silly question, but why does it matter?

The rear screen heater will only be using a handful of watts at the most and just runs off the 12v system. The front one you’ll want on anyway.

At least you’ll know there is no condensation on the screen when you get in!
Totally get that! I suppose I’d like to be in control of the controls. Have on what I want when I want and be able to turn something off should I wish to do so

Why would you want to precondition the car and not defrost the windows when it's -3?

Serious question, feel like I'm missing the point.

Tesla have set it up to be as easy and automatic as you'd like, if I want it warm and ready to go, then it'll do it.

Not sure why you'd need to precondition to have a warm bum on entry but to retain a frozen windscreen, each to their own!

Reactions: outdoors
Why would you want to precondition the car and not defrost the windows when it's -3?

Serious question, feel like I'm missing the point.

Tesla have set it up to be as easy and automatic as you'd like, if I want it warm and ready to go, then it'll do it.

Not sure why you'd need to precondition to have a warm bum on entry but to retain a frozen windscreen, each to their own!
My original question was - is this normal? I’ve never said I don’t want a warm car! Never said I don’t want a defrosted windscreen - I’ve raised the question because it’s never happened before when I’ve asked for preconditioning. Thanks for your reply

My original question was - is this normal? I’ve never said I don’t want a warm car! Never said I don’t want a defrosted windscreen - I’ve raised the question because it’s never happened before when I’ve asked for preconditioning. Thanks for your reply
Yes it's normal,
the manual says "Precondition the vehicle while it is plugged in to ensure the cabin is at a comfortable temperature and windows are defrosted (if needed) before your drive"

Battery also warms "as needed".