Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preconditioning battery question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know when setting the departure time if the fan will use the last used temperature in the car? I had my car set to Low when I last drove it yesterday afternoon. When I got in my car this morning the car was freezing and the dash, center console and doors had what appeared to be some condensation on them. I also noticed a puddle of water under the car which made me believe the A/C blew full cold air for the time it was trying to precondition the battery. Luckily the screen wasn’t wet. Has this happened to anyone? I don’t want this to happen again as I’m afraid it could demand the electronics inside.

If you've got "pre-condition" on, then yes it'll use the last setting you had for the HVAC. The puddle is from the condensation like you said, sounds like your location had quite a bit of humidity if the inside had condensation as well. Don't worry about the screen or any other electronics as long as you're not showering inside the car or driving through high water.

You can change this on the charging screen btw *pre-conditioning*

If you've got "pre-condition" on, then yes it'll use the last setting you had for the HVAC. The puddle is from the condensation like you said, sounds like your location had quite a bit of humidity if the inside had condensation as well. Don't worry about the screen or any other electronics as long as you're not showering inside the car or driving through high water.

You can change this on the charging screen btw *pre-conditioning*
Thanks Matsayz. I actually had a serious issue today with my car. I went to open the door and it didn’t open. I tried with my card key and nothing. We had to get my car towed from my driveway. They had to use jumper cables to get it to power up however I couldn’t really do anything. Everything was inoperable. Tesla is looking into it but believes the 12V battery is dead. Hopefully that’s all it is and it gets replaced. Fingers crossed

Update: I got my car back and was told it was the 12V battery that was bad. The car fully functions now. I’m not sure if the A/C issue that caused the condensation are related to the 12V battery or something else. Hopefully Tesla is able to look at the history of the vehicle to determine the cause.

Reactions: Matsayz
Update: I got my car back and was told it was the 12V battery that was bad. The car fully functions now. I’m not sure if the A/C issue that caused the condensation are related to the 12V battery or something else. Hopefully Tesla is able to look at the history of the vehicle to determine the cause.
Where is the 12V battery located? I assume we can only access it IF the car is unlocked. That's concerning that we need to get a tow when it dies, even though we have loads of energy.

Where is the 12V battery located? I assume we can only access it IF the car is unlocked. That's concerning that we need to get a tow when it dies, even though we have loads of energy.
It's under the hood. If the 12V is dead though you have to take the tow hook cover off the front and there is a red and black wire there which needs to be connected to a battery to pop the hood and then you can take off the plastic coverings and access the 12V battery.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yep the tow guy had to pop the tow hitch out from the front bumper to pop the frunk. The battery jumper wasn’t strong enough. He had to juice it from his truck. We got the front door opener manually but the 12v didn’t have enough power to do anything else except keep the screen on. Everything was inoperable and he had to ultimately tow it by dragging it onto the flat bed. The funny thing is as soon as the screen came back on i received a notification my 12v battery was low and to replace it. Would have been nice to receive it before it actually died on me. Anyways Tesla replaced it for free. I’m honestly not sure if the A/C condensation issue is related to this but I’m sure it probably drained the battery working so hard.

I highly recommend you read the manual,

The vehicle has to be flat towed or one set of wheels on dolly’s. If the 12v dies you can remove the cap as others have mentioned and connect a jumper to the cables or even a 9v battery will do the trick. This pops the trunk which then you can jump the 12v under the air cowel, after all this you can/should put the vehicle into TOW mode via the screen and it’ll release the motors so the vehicle will roll a short distance

Reactions: queenamydala
Correct with everything except we were unable to place the car into tow mode. I could go to different settings but wasn’t able to select anything including tow mode. It was beyond dead to do anything. The tow guy said he’s dealt with Tesla’s with dead 12v batteries but never one completely dead like this. He was forced to drag it into the flat bed unfortunately.

Does anyone know when setting the departure time if the fan will use the last used temperature in the car? I had my car set to Low when I last drove it yesterday afternoon. When I got in my car this morning the car was freezing and the dash, center console and doors had what appeared to be some condensation on them. I also noticed a puddle of water under the car which made me believe the A/C blew full cold air for the time it was trying to precondition the battery. Luckily the screen wasn’t wet. Has this happened to anyone? I don’t want this to happen again as I’m afraid it could demand the electronics inside.
It is impossible to get condensation inside when the door is closed and you had the car on preconditioning even if it's set to low. The AC puts dry air in to the car, they only way you got condensation is probably when you open the door and the hot moist air hit the cold dash.

And yes, the last temperature is what it uses. You can adjust using the app.

It is impossible to get condensation inside when the door is closed and you had the car on preconditioning even if it's set to low. The AC puts dry air in to the car, they only way you got condensation is probably when you open the door and the hot moist air hit the cold dash.

And yes, the last temperature is what it uses. You can adjust using the app.
I’m not sure how it happened. I live in the Bay Area and it was an average morning when I got in the car. It definitely was wet inside enough I could have wiped the doors mirror and center console With a small towel. I wouldn’t want to test this again but again I didn’t set it to low A/C to begin with. Maybe the 12v battery was low and making the car act strange. I honestly don’t know.