Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preconditioning battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea was trying to avoid driving around pointlessly. Was thinking maybe if i can set the supercharger as destination from the app and maybe wake the car? Idk
Just setting the destination as the Supercharger won't initiate fully warming the battery. There are several temperature thresholds while preconditioning the Tesla Model Y. For Level 1/2 charging the battery pack must warmed to at least 10C (50F), preconditioning will raise the temperature of the battery pack to 20C (68F); Preconditioning on route to a Supercharger will further warm the battery. I believe the optimum and peak temperature of the battery pack for fastest Supercharging is 44C (112F).

Last edited:
Reactions: qman66
Is the nearby Supercharger an Urban Supercharger? Urban Superchargers are limited to 72kW charging rate. You might be ok with just preconditioning for 20 to 30 minutes while parked at home before driving the short distance to the Urban Supercharger.

Would you have to sit in the vehicle in Drive with the brake Hold set, is that safe? As soon as you unbuckle the seat belt and open the driver's door the Tesla vehicle will shift into Park.
You should buckle the seat belt, before seating inside the car, and then press on the break pedal while putting the car to N (neutral).
You can then release the break and keep the car in N, and then exit the car using the passenger car.
An alternative is to open first the driver door and use a crew driver to turn the door lock mechanism like if the door was closed.
This method was describe in a print out document that was given to me when I bring my car for getting a wheel alignment.
I test and it works, but since the car is in N (neutral) the car can roll if you push it, so you need to park on a flat ground.

Last edited:
yes it is. So how would I precondition from home without having to go the car?
Your Tesla vehicle has to be parked where it can receive a 4G LTE phone signal or WiFi signal. Then use the Tesla app on your phone to turn on the climate control. Depending on the season and the outside air temperature you should plan on preconditioning for 10 to 20 minutes. In very cold weather you may have to precondition for more than 30 minutes. If the battery pack is cold enough the Tesla app will display a red battery indicator showing that the battery is being warmed during the preconditioning period. The Tesla vehicle does not have to be plugged in to use the preconditioning feature via the Tesla app. Leave the climate control settings as you normally like them set, including the seat heater and steering wheel heater, before exiting the vehicle. You can adjust the cabin temperature setting and the seat heater(s) from the Tesla app.

Last edited:
ok this helps. So when I turn the climate on what should it be set to? In the winter I'm assuming make it the hottest? But in the summer?
In winter not the warmest setting, just set the temperature to your usual cabin temperature, i.e. 70F to 75F. I prefer to leave the climate control set to Auto (this is set in the vehicle climate control settings, not the Tesla app.) The only time you would need or want to use the maximum heating is when defrosting the windshield and windows. The windshield defroster icon has two settings. Blue for defogging the windshield and Red for maximum defrosting of ice and snow from the windshield. I believe the the rear window defroster grid will turn on if you select the windshield defogging or defrosting function (for ~10 minutes) Leave cabin air recirculate off to avoid fogging the windows in winter. (Other than turning on the climate control via the Tesla app I sometimes raise or lower the cabin temperature setting by a few degrees up or down and adjust the driver's seat heater setting to Low/Medium/High/Off. You can turn the climate control On and Off from the main screen of the Tesla app simply by tapping the fan icon (the left most screen button. Note that you only need to access the climate control settings screen from the Tesla app if you want to adjust specific climate control options or adjust the cabin temperature setting or the seat heaters. Otherwise a simple tap of the fan icon will turn the climate control system On or Off.

In summer I recommend just leaving the climate control set to your favorite cabin temperature, i.e. I prefer 73F in summer and Auto. When you turn on the climate control using the app in summer the cabin will cool off quickly to a comfortable temperature and humidity level in less than 10 minutes even if the Tesla is parked in the sun. (You can also set Cabin Overheat protection to be On so that the Tesla will automatically cool the cabin, keep the cabin temperature at less than 105F. (This feature is only active for 12 hours after you park the Tesla vehicle.) Leave cabin air recirculate off to help dehumidify the cabin.

Last edited:
Just setting the destination as the Supercharger won't initiate fully warming the battery. There are several temperature thresholds while preconditioning the Tesla Model Y. For Level 1/2 charging the battery pack must warmed to at least 10C (50F), preconditioning will raise the temperature of the battery pack to 20C (68F); Preconditioning on route to a Supercharger will further warm the battery. I believe the optimum and peak temperature of the battery pack for fastest Supercharging is 44C (112F).
FYI it's 116F when the Stator motors shutoff during L3 charging.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe