Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preconditioning before Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DanDi58

Jun 22, 2020
Dayton NJ
Ok, here is kind of a dumb question,. In the past, to precondition the car before driving for the first time in the morning, I would use the phone app and hit the little fan button on the main screen of the app. After the last app update, I noticed a little battery icon in the Controls screen that is labelled 'Start'... So now I'm wondering which button to hit to precon the car, or do they both serve the same purpose?

After doing a little searching, it seems that the 'Start' icon is mainly for remote start if you want to unlock the car and allow someone - or yourself, if you lose phone access and your keycards - to drive the car with no key present. It doesn't have the 'bacon' waves but more like a WiFi-type wave - see pic below.

Update - did a little experiment - hit the 'Start' icon and unlocked the car, and I was able to drive it with no phone with me and without key card. When you get in the car, it says 'Keyless Driving Enabled' So that icon isn't (necessarily) for preconditioning. I will continue to use the fan icon.

Attachments

• IMG_1667.jpg
    IMG_1667.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 115