Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preconditioning for an hour??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently updated to 2021.4.11 and had need to travel from San Diego to LA, and set a supercharge stop about an hour away. As you can see in the attached photo, my car started preconditioning, even though I was 65 miles away from the charging station (nav was set to the L3 charger), and it was a very comfortable 65F outside so obviously no winterizing conditioning was needed. I mean, it's San Diego; the weather's always great!

Has anyone else seen this? I didn't see really long preconditioning previously, so thought maybe I'd ask on here and see if this is something new/something I should have looked at.

20210307_112258.jpg

"A very comfortable XXX" outside has really no bearing on what the temperature of your battery is, and if you set the destination to a supercharger, the car will warm the battery to a temperature that it thinks is appropriate for fast charging. It would likely warm up the battery to the proper temp for fast charging, then stop pre conditioning.

TL ; DR, there is nothing for you to have looked at.

Upvote 0
Noticed this yesterday when I input a SpC 40 miles away - it started pre-conditioning immediately. I had been driving for 45 minutes - how much pre-conditioning is required Our temps are 60 - 70 outside. Car had been operating awhile.
Previously 'pre' would be about 10 minutes out. Caveat: I had not SpC'd for couple of weeks, so maybe things have changed.

Upvote 0
I recently updated to 2021.4.11 and had need to travel from San Diego to LA, and set a supercharge stop about an hour away. As you can see in the attached photo, my car started preconditioning, even though I was 65 miles away from the charging station (nav was set to the L3 charger), and it was a very comfortable 65F outside so obviously no winterizing conditioning was needed. I mean, it's San Diego; the weather's always great!

Has anyone else seen this? I didn't see really long preconditioning previously, so thought maybe I'd ask on here and see if this is something new/something I should have looked at.

View attachment 642998

The computer knows when to start preheating the battery for supercharging. I couldn't guess why it started that soon. Was the car sitting overnight before you started driving it?

Upvote 0
They may have changed it to try to harvest more heat from the motor at an earlier time, though I thought it was basically always doing that, and started calling "preconditioning" so the driver knows it's warming the battery.. The earliest I've seen was about 30 minutes, but I haven't done a road trip with the new firmware yet.

Upvote 0