Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preconditioning for fast charging, worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True - but it does adjust to conditions as you go.
YEah, that's why I always periodically check what the arrival SoC is... I know one time I left the SC, and it said I was going to arrive at my destination at 25%. It started raining heavily shortly after I left. (Was not windy). The estimate changed to 9% about halfway thru the leg. I actually arrived at 10%. So I always trust the arrival SoC... I just make sure to always pad the initial estimate while I'm charging.

YEah, that's why I always periodically check what the arrival SoC is... I know one time I left the SC, and it said I was going to arrive at my destination at 25%. It started raining heavily shortly after I left. (Was not windy). The estimate changed to 9% about halfway thru the leg. I actually arrived at 10%. So I always trust the arrival SoC... I just make sure to always pad the initial estimate while I'm charging.
Yeah, I wish it was at the bottom of the nav window instead of having to open up the entire step-by-step window and scroll to the bottom.

Yeah, I wish it was at the bottom of the nav window instead of having to open up the entire step-by-step window and scroll to the bottom.
On road trips I set the energy app to a shortcut at the bottom with the new V11 UI and so it becomes a one push to open the trip energy screen (after first time opening and selecting trip graph) and one push to close. This way I can quickly check destination % periodically between superchargers. It's much easier than opening up the step-by-step and scrolling to the bottom, especially if you have a lot of turns.

Obviously having it displayed where you could see it without pushing anything is optimal but this is the easiest work-around I could think of.

Reactions: vanjwilson
On road trips I set the energy app to a shortcut at the bottom with the new V11 UI and so it becomes a one push to open the trip energy screen (after first time opening and selecting trip graph) and one push to close. This way I can quickly check destination % periodically between superchargers. It's much easier than opening up the step-by-step and scrolling to the bottom, especially if you have a lot of turns.

Obviously having it displayed where you could see it without pushing anything is optimal but this is the easiest work-around I could think of.
I use the energy graph as well - does that have arrival SOC when you're navigating? Don't recall seeing that.

Ok, so in the midst of a spring break trip right now... I set the destination to the Tumwater Supercharger while I was at a McDonalds in Vancouver... It was 50 degrees and cloudy. As soon as I set the destination, I noticed it started preconditioning the battery.... I looked at the Navigation, and it estimated I would arrive at 24%. When I got on the freeway, I periodically looked at the preconditioning, and saw it would periodically cycle preconditioning on and off... For most of the entire drive, while I was on the 5, I was averaging > 80 mph. It started lightly sprinkling towards the end of this leg.... I arrived at Tumwater at 22% SoC which was pretty close to the original estimate of 24%. When it gave me the original estimate, it was not raining... So even tho it started raining towards the end, and most of the entire drive I was driving 80+ mph, the navigation was spot on with its arrival SoC estimate, even tho it started preconditioning at the very beginning of this leg...

Last Weekend I did another trip from my Snohomish, WA to Portland, OR where I charged at the Kelso Supercharger going both directions.

From Snohomish to Kelso (4/2)
  • Distance = just over 150 miles
  • Ambient Temp = 55F (or so)
  • Rain = None to Moderate
  • Charge Leaving = 90%
  • Range estimate to the Target at the location = 19%
  • Range estimate to the Supercharger at the location = 16% (the difference is accounting for preconditioning)
  • Driving time elapsed before car started to precondition = 15 minutes (roughly)
  • Driver behind the wheel stopped the preconditioning = Yes
  • Why driver stopped the preconditioning = Lack of trust, and desire to control situation
  • When did human allow preconditioning = Last 45 min of lag
  • Any Range issues = No, it was decent for the conditions and speed
  • Any charge issue = Nope, started charge at 1K miles and then tapered per normal
The way back, and this one includes both the trip to the supercharge and from the supercharger to illustrate a SW bug

From Portland to Kelso (4/3)
  • Distance = just over 45 miles (or so)
  • Ambient Temp = 55F (or so)
  • Rain = None to Moderate
  • Charge Leaving = Did not record
  • Range estimate to the Target at the location = Did not record
  • Range estimate to the Supercharger at the location = Did not record
  • Driving time elapsed before car started to precondition = Immediately
  • Driver behind the wheel stopped the preconditioning = No
  • Any Range issues = No, didn't care and seemed like typical preconditioning
From Kelso to Snohomish (4/3)
  • Distance = just over 150 miles
  • Ambient Temp = 50F (or so)
  • Rain = Light to Moderate
  • Charge = 90%
  • Range estimate to Snohomish = 8%
  • Did driver leave with only 8% = No
  • Charge = 95%
  • Range estimate to Snohomish = 14%
  • Actual Range at arrival in Snohomish = 25% (this included stopping for Chipotle which added mileage)
In the case of Snohomish to Kelso the range estimate was fine, but the Kelso to Snohomish was way off. It was so far off that I ended up charging 5% higher than I had planned. Requiring 81% of the battery range in a P3D to do 150 miles is nutty especially during the spring with moderate temps.

This is the second time within the last month or so that its estimating crazy energy consumptions for the trip from a Supercharger to my house. Normally the range estimate always underestimate how much energy I'll use as I generally drive 10 over unless something prevents me from doing so. The last time it was estimating 75% of the battery range to do 100 miles.

I think there is a bug between preconditioning and the trip planner where it reports abnormally high energy consumption on the way to a destination from a charger in which it preconditioned for.

I've also been having issues with just getting the rotating circle with an arrow where it takes a long time to show the estimate.

• Informative
Reactions: kylinblue
Yeah but home charging doesn't stress the battery because it maxes out at around 12kW. It's likely that Tesla tries to keep degradation constant and if the battery is cold, it has to throttle charge rate to avoid increasing degradation.

I wouldn't expect that much difference in charge time on a hot day. It's likely very cold charging that does the most damage to the battery.
Hi, trying to understand if supercharging without pre heating could have any adverse effect on the battery ? I know that the charge speed is throttled, but just wanted to make sure.
Sometimes I prefer to not pre heat in order to have a bit longer at the mall otherwise it’s just too quick and I’d end up paying extra for not unplugging post charge.

Hi, trying to understand if supercharging without pre heating could have any adverse effect on the battery ? I know that the charge speed is throttled, but just wanted to make sure.
Sometimes I prefer to not pre heat in order to have a bit longer at the mall otherwise it’s just too quick and I’d end up paying extra for not unplugging post charge.
you answered your own question. cold battery = slow charging. You cannot escape the law of physics and thermodynamics. Chemical reaction slows down in the battery cells when cold.

Reactions: DRS247
This is why there is a Battery Management System, to help prevent damage to the battery by allowing fast charging with a cold battery.

Regarding the topic of "Preconditioning for fast charging, worth it?"
Bjørn Nyland in this video Tesla Model S LR Palladium charging test & cold battery test
was comparing charging from 10% to 90%:

- a Model S Plaid with cold battery
- a Model S Plaid with pre-heated battery
- a Model S LR with pre-heated battery

I don't want to spill the bean, but the study was quite interesting.

It is an interesting question, and only Tesla knows the answer. The pack damage mechanism is from Li plating. The phenomenon is well described so I think Tesla *can* modulate charging speed so that the Li plating effects are similar at different pack temperatures. How closely they toe the line is unknown.

It is an interesting question, and only Tesla knows the answer. The pack damage mechanism is from Li plating. The phenomenon is well described so I think Tesla *can* modulate charging speed so that the Li plating effects are similar at different pack temperatures. How closely they toe the line is unknown.
The only Tesla we have access to is the customer care. They’re level 1 folks who don’t know much about the product and it’s functioning and spit out lines they were taught for x, y, z conditions. I tried. The dude had no idea what I meant.
(I even had to educate him about the battery size and the charging capacity of my Tesla)

This is a lengthy thread, but I'll throw in my 2 cents
I live in a state that charges by the minute, not by the Kwh that is put into the car.
As an example - if I anticipate using a ccs charger I will precondition about 20 mins before my arrival - that way those first few minutes I can pull 150~160 kw - and then it ramps down to about 70~80 when I near 80% SOC. So it does save a quite a bit in charging cost. Now on the other hand if I were to go to a Tesla charger - preconditioning doesn't make that much difference, because Tesla charges on a sliding tier scale. Tesla charges more for the first few minutes of your charge whereas the ccs chargers are a flat rate through the whole charge.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe