Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preconditioning from app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some time now I've noticed that the battery icon (which tells you the battery is also preconditioning for a rapid/super charge ) isn't displayed when I heat the cabin remotely. Is this no longer a feature or is it still being taken care of, but just not displayed? Confused whether my only option is to set a destination for a supercharger as I drive to a council rapid station

Thanks
Griogair

For some time now I've noticed that the battery icon (which tells you the battery is also preconditioning for a rapid/super charge ) isn't displayed when I heat the cabin remotely. Is this no longer a feature or is it still being taken care of, but just not displayed? Confused whether my only option is to set a destination for a supercharger as I drive to a council rapid station

Thanks
Griogair

It should be there ... I didn't spot it initially in the new app version ... when you switch on climate in the app it just shows the cabin heating coming on but a few seconds later there are 3 bacon slices appear on the app front page beside the battery percentage. I'm colour blind and don't find that there is a strong contrast against the black background so sometimes have to look twice to see it's come on.

This all depends on the temperature of the pack and whether it needs raising into an operational window. Likely your ambient temperature has increased lately so the app shows correctly that the pack heating isn’t active.

I too struggle with Tesla’s use of red on grey, it’s just not bright or saturated enough for those with Protanomaly vision.

That’s strange… could it be coincidence that it didn’t need warming when you were plugged in? I know mine does it when plugged in because that’s the only time I’ve used the warming recently.
Well, I thought it was strange, so went outside, plugged it in, then the bacon rashers disappeared instantly.

Then vice versa when unplugged again.

Well, I thought it was strange, so went outside, plugged it in, then the bacon rashers disappeared instantly.

Was that whilst the unplugged conditioning was already taking place that you plugged in? I could see that may reset the preconditioning setting if that was the case. If the car has charged overnight and is still plugged in (with the charge point "live" i.e. the charge point hasn't switched itself off) it should precondition, when requested by the app, taking power from the charge point and showing the bacon whilst doing so ... well at least mine does!

Was that whilst the unplugged conditioning was already taking place that you plugged in? I could see that may reset the preconditioning setting if that was the case. If the car has charged overnight and is still plugged in (with the charge point "live" i.e. the charge point hasn't switched itself off) it should precondition, when requested by the app, taking power from the charge point and showing the bacon whilst doing so ... well at least mine does!
No, because as I said, I then unplugged again, and the rasher reappeared.

Strange one. Will need to check again, as this was some weeks back, in V10.5

Might there be scheduled charging or scheduled departure pre-conditioning at work causing the pack temperature to lift to a reasonable internal level so as to not require heating during app-requested pre-conditioning then? Cold as in under 5 degree C ambient is the trigger point.

The battery conditioning target temperatures changed in the last few months. It was around 20C last winter and it's now around 4-6C (battery temperature, not ambient).
battery conditioning will happen when you start cabin conditioning, independent of being plugged in or not. Opening a car door does stop the battery conditioning, maybe the pluggin/unplugging does too as it needs the car unlocked anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado