Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preconditioning in Texas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JDL@h

MYP/White/Blk TX OD: 9/27 EDD:4/20 vin: F417
Sep 29, 2021
houston
Its always above 50 F in Texas apart from a couple of times in winter. From what I have read, preconditioning is recommended when temps are below 50 F. So do I need to worry about pre-conditioning. I don't have to go to work everyday as its a partial WFH situation and I don't have set days to go into work. Also, my commute (30 miles each way) is mostly on 40-50 MPH streets with lights, not on the freeways. Car will be in garage and charging with the gen 3 charger.

So should I still worry about preconditioning.

I have a wonky schedule as well and gave up on using the schedule. Instead I just manually turn on climate control from the phone app on the mornings I have to drive somewhere. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes for the cabin to get to the set temperature, but since the car is plugged in and my power is cheap I often do that as much as an hour before time to depart. Especially if it's very chilly or very hot which might take a bit longer.

Reactions: Acps110 and TXDawg
OP: Are you asking about the system pre-conditioning prior to Supercharging the car?

If so, AFAIK, it isn't critical, but heats the batteries to the most optimum temp to receive the fastest charging available. It simply saves time at the Supercharger, at the expense of a few miles of electricity used during the pre-conditioning.

As Sophias-dad said above, I wouldn't worry about it. Let the system work as the engineers designed it to.

Only for your comfort. Preconditioning will bring the passenger cabin to your preferred temperature and can turn on the heated seats and steering wheel. If the Tesla Model Y is parked and the temperature outside and inside the vehicle is ~50F(10C) then 5 minutes should be long enough to bring the passenger cabin to 70F.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Gotta say I hate that I can't just heat the cabin without wasting power warming the battery. Another problem with V11(or was it V10 when this was introduced). I don't really care whether I have regen or the absolute maximum launch out of my car when its cold outside.

Gotta say I hate that I can't just heat the cabin without wasting power warming the battery. Another problem with V11(or was it V10 when this was introduced). I don't really care whether I have regen or the absolute maximum launch out of my car when its cold outside.
Does it really heat the battery above a certain temp? It has been 50f here and I still have a bunch of dots even after preconditioning for almost 30min.
I just took a picture today to see.

1649254206528.png

Does it really heat the battery above a certain temp? It has been 50f here and I still have a bunch of dots even after preconditioning for almost 30min.
I just took a picture today to see.

View attachment 790610
I'm sure it doesn't always heat the battery, but I really don't want to waste any energy warming the battery early if I'm out somewhere far away and its 5f outside.

Yes, if the battery temperature is below the threshold for warming then the Tesla Model Y will warm the battery regardless of whether the Tesla vehicle is plugged in. The current threshold temperature for warming is approximately 3C(37.4F), stops warming when the battery temperature is at or above 7C (44.6F). This is one reason why using Scheduled Departure Charging is more efficient than charging as soon as you arrive at home in the evening. The charging session will initially warm the battery to 7C if needed. After several hours charging the battery temperature will be at or above 20C (68F). If you leave shortly after charging completes the battery will be at or nearly at the optimal temperature for driving.

• Helpful
Reactions: GtiMart
At the current target temps as @jcanoe indicates, you will not necessarily get full regen, hence there are a couple of dots on the left side. You do get plenty though, say 50+kW out of the max of 85kW on a dual motor. From memory, max regen arrives around 11C battery temps, although that changes sometimes with software versions.