Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preconditioning problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So on Friday I picked up my Model Y from Mt Kisco, then drove to my brother-in-law's house for the night in Connecticut before driving back to Upstate NY - about 340 miles. I charged at his house overnight and left with a full charge. The display indicated that the battery was preconditioning started even though I was 250 miles from the Supercharger and had a full charge. WTF!!! And the Wh/mile was way high - about 400+ m/Wh. Any idea what's going on?

I had a Model 3 for 3 years prior to trading it in for the Y. I've never seen "battery preconditioning for fast charging" except for approx 20 miles prior to getting to the supercharger. This is happening when when at full charge and 250+ miles from the supercharger. And I never noticed a big efficiency drop in the Model 3 while preconditioning. A ranger is coming out to look at a headlight problem and I'll talk to him about it. The headlight problem is strange - no left headlight, no from left turn signal, and no running light. The left rear turn signal works, but flashes at twice the frequency as normal. The headlight assembly plug probably just became disconnected.
IMG_5697.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I had a Model 3 for 3 years prior to trading it in for the Y. I've never seen "battery preconditioning for fast charging" except for approx 20 miles prior to getting to the supercharger. This is happening when when at full charge and 250+ miles from the supercharger. And I never noticed a big efficiency drop in the Model 3 while preconditioning. A ranger is coming out to look at a headlight problem and I'll talk to him about it. The headlight problem is strange - no left headlight, no from left turn signal, and no running light. The left rear turn signal works, but flashes at twice the frequency as normal. The headlight assembly plug probably just became disconnected.View attachment 661325
There is no issue with your car, so not worth bringing up.

Since 2021.4.11 the car is more aggressive with heating up the battery. Previously it would wait until ~ 20 minutes from the destination but 20 minutes would barely get the battery up 12-15F in most cold/cooler temps. The BMS now can start warming it up much sooner. The last few times I've had it preconditioning 50 minutes in advance, it has stopped and then would start again as I got closer to the destination.

Pre-2021.4.11 I would arrive at the supercharger with battery pack temps at 80-90F. I'm now arriving at 105-110F. Note, the ideal temp is 116F so the latest update is much more aggressive in warming the battery for L3 charging.