Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preconditioning while charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weather here in the morning around 30F. I was charging the car with scheduling charge and was close to the departure time. I had set the car to precondition the car around 8 AM. I noticed in the car app that the car was charging at 32 AMP/230V but only at 3 miles an hour. I stopped the charging and I noticed that it was preconditioning the car, I'm assuming that was the reason of charging as so low mileages.
I assumed that when charging, the car did not need preconditioning since the battery would be warm from charging.
Two questions: Is it ok to charge while it is trying to preconditioning and will it do something bad to the battery by doing so?
Cost wise, it looks to me that I'm using 32 amp to only charge at 3 miles/hr. That is not an effective way to keep cost down, correct?

Reactions: EVRider-FL
Yes there is no concern. The wall outlet can only supply 32 amps at 240, the balance of whatever wasn’t needed for preconditioning was topping off the battery.

Preconditioning is meant to provide you with a comfortable cabin and preheat the batteries for more consistent regen. It is not meant to be an efficient process but a convenience feature. Normal driving warms up the battery too, just takes longer.

Enjoy the car, nothing abnormal or of concern with the behavior you detailed.

Reactions: Gasaraki
As far as I know, it won’t harm anything which is why Tesla designed it to do that. If it’s actually preconditioning just the battery, it will eventually improve the efficiency during that charging session but, I believe, it is also (actually?) preconditioning the cabin. Tesla says it’s a climate thing but, I suppose, there’s probably a little that goes to expanding regen head room; if restoring a good amount of charge, that would happen normally.

While the charging will be slower, the cabin warm up (cool down) will come off of shore power rather than deplete the battery like it would if you drive off in a cold car.

What I’d like to know is if there’s a way to disable shore power remotely when warming/cooling the cabin at home during peak energy hours. My detached garage is three floors away so I don’t really want to physically unplug it yet I am willing to sacrifice some range which I will happily replenish during off peak energy rates.

Thank you for the excellent replies. I was curious why while charging the battery would not warm it anyway, I assumed it did not need preconditioning if the car was charging.
Preconditioning is usually used for inside the cabin. It will only precondition the battery if the battery is cold. You'll see if the car is preconditioning the battery if you see the heat symbol next to your charge meter in the app. Yes, charging will warm up the batteries but to really speed up the conditioning of the battery, it needs to run the heater/heat pump to circulate warm coolant to the batteries.

Reactions: rpiotro