Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preconditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to turn preconditioning off? Yesterday I did an errand on the way home which has superchargers in the parking lot, so I set the super chargers as my destination. I thought I'd charge for the 15 minutes I was in the store. Anyway the preconditioning really took a toll on my wh/m. I'm thinking, given the choice I'd rather take the time hit vs the efficiency hit.

I’m pretty new to owning (3 weeks or so), but I had a week when I didn’t have home charging set up yet. Didn’t realize I needed to set the supercharger as the destination so didn’t precondition. It was pretty painful how slow it was, and I ended up leaving after 10 minutes. My understanding is it would have eventually sped up as my battery warmed but it was going at about 7kW

Reactions: GtiMart
Simple, don't set the supercharger as the destination and instead choose the supermarket.

I was going to type this but you beat me to it. Dont set a supercharger as a destination if you dont want to charge. If you are going somewhere else in the same parking lot, set that place as the destination. If you set a supercharger as the destination the car assumes that is your destination (rightly so).

Reactions: jmaddr
I dont think I understand what you are getting at, in full, but to answer your question, "no there is no way to turn off pre conditioning when you select a supercharger as the destination in a model 3 that we are aware of".

If you dont want supercharging, the way to do that is to not set the supercharger as the destination (even if you intend to go there).

Simple, don't set the supercharger as the destination and instead choose the supermarket.

Along those lines I made "favorites" called "super xxx" with xxx being the location of the supercharger to navigate to. Sometimes when I am in a hurry I like the pre-conditioning and sometimes when I know I am going to take longer at the stop I use the favorite so it won't precondition.

Reactions: AquaY and smartypnz
I heard someone call in from the "Ride the Lightning" podcast, that if you hit the preconditioning message when you first set the destination, it goes away and cancels the preconditioning. I tried it but can't tell if it just cancels the message or cancels preconditioning. Maybe someone knows or can test it out :)

I’m pretty new to owning (3 weeks or so), but I had a week when I didn’t have home charging set up yet. Didn’t realize I needed to set the supercharger as the destination so didn’t precondition. It was pretty painful how slow it was, and I ended up leaving after 10 minutes. My understanding is it would have eventually sped up as my battery warmed but it was going at about 7kW
Welcome...
There are several things that will affect charge rate...
- level of your battery charge when you plug in
Look around this site - many graphs have been created that show what to expect depending on level of charge
- pre-conditioning
Upon choosing a specific SpC, your battery will start conditioning itself to charge as you get near. Don't know the distance, but it uses quite a bit of your level to warm your batteries which can then handle a faster rate of charge.
-state of charge
Speed of charge slows substantially as you charge.

Remember, if you are using the older SpC's... they were paired 1A, 1B... 2A, 2B... etc. If someone is at 2B and you pull in to 2A, you will both be sharing that charge. The other car, being there 1st has priority and your level gets what is left. When the other car vacates - you become the BOSS of the chargers. To avoid this sharing... pick a 'lonely unpaired SpC' - makes you the BOSS
The newer current V3 SpC's are affected by this also, (more complicated) but it's negligible and there are 4 to a set. Be at ease to use any.