Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction Competition for 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be clear I am only putting down a number now because the rules state I may adjust that number up to one week following the Q4 ER. I expect to revise it based on that call.

I think he is just too scared to even think of a number until we hear something from Tesla ;) (Just yanking your chain Robert, I love ya all the same!)

I am still running under the impression that with the ramp to 2k and Model X release and comments previously given by elon that we will see a 70k number. Call me crazy, but outside of something drastic during the Q4 ER I am going to go with the current highest bet of 70,000 of which I am expecting there to be a solid 10-15k Model X deliveries. Might be dreaming a little too high on the Model X, which is the great unknown right now. So that is likely to be the number I would change the most after the ER. Anything less than 55k Model S and I will be a sad panda.

My guess is 45k.

It's a tough call because they have a bunch of things that could affect sales, but I don't expect early execution on them, and especially with a further delay and initial production issues with Model X will mean they'll not get the growth they expected, so a big bump will be delayed until 2016.

I think that Tesla has just passed another "valley of the death" in Q3. Those are the factory shutdown, and intro to Dual-motor variant and improved interior of Model S such as recaro seat and heated steering wheel. These new tooling and product variant caused slowdown in production. So ask yourself this: in 2015, will there be another product variant for Model S introduced? will there be another factory/production line retooling?

In Q1, apart from refitting the recaro seat, I think Tesla will fire full speed ahead.
In Q2, there will be no new product variant introduced, other than the snake solid auto home chargers + autopilot firmware upgrade. So full speed ahead.
In Q3, I think there might be factory retooling for the state-of-the-art body paint shop upgrade, and some other upgrade, per Q2-14 conference call. This could cause 2-4 weeks shutdown. Model X might also start production in Q3 perhaps in small amount ~2500-3000 cars. This Qtr might cause hiccup.
In Q4, Model X ramps up or not depending on execution.

I think in FY15 there will be only 46 weeks of production due to body paint shop upgrade. If we enter 2015 with 1100 cars/wk, and end it with 2000 cars/wk, taking the mid 1,550 cars/wk minus 10% execution error = 1,400 x 46 = ~64,500 cars produced - 1500 cars going to loaners/showroom - last 2000-3000 going to pipeline for overseas next Qtr, then I am guesstimating 60,500 cars delivered for 2015.

My assumtions in the context of 2015 deliveries are as follows:
- Freemont production running at full steam for 52 weeks (two weeks for holiday and two weeks for line changes (new robots for Model S and phase in of Model X production))
- Average weekly production rate of about 1100 vehicles (EVs, that means Model S and Model X combined) per week at beginning of 2015
- Production ramp up might be quicker during H1 (P85D issues already sorted out and just cranking out Model S as fast as they can)
- Production ramp up might be slower during H2 (introduction of Model X, quality checks of manufacturing, collecting feedback from first real customers (as EM mentioned making one instance of a complex object is difficult while manufacturing a big amount of things of the same and good quality is extremly more difficult))

Based on my assumptions my estimate for 2015 deliveries is 52weeks x 1100vehicles/week = 57200 vehicles (there might be some upside).

Last edited:
I think he is just too scared to even think of a number until we hear something from Tesla ;) (Just yanking your chain Robert, I love ya all the same!)

I am still running under the impression that with the ramp to 2k and Model X release and comments previously given by elon that we will see a 70k number. Call me crazy, but outside of something drastic during the Q4 ER I am going to go with the current highest bet of 70,000 of which I am expecting there to be a solid 10-15k Model X deliveries. Might be dreaming a little too high on the Model X, which is the great unknown right now. So that is likely to be the number I would change the most after the ER. Anything less than 55k Model S and I will be a sad panda.

Hrmmm, well, after the shareholder letter, I guess I will revise south to 60,000 deliveries. I am still optimistic that they will do more than they say they will as I really feel like 55k is a sandbagged number just so they don't have a repeat of this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.