Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Model 3 Orders to reach 100k in 24 hours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to say I don't think it will be 100k in a couple days even month. I also don't think there will be any real lines for reservations. People would probably do the most reservations online. There will be a good amount of reservations just not 100k (Well I'm thinking US wise). 100k around the world then probably possible but still doubtful.

"Some people buy the C-class because they don't want to flaunt their wealth. Not every wealthy person is an egomaniacal show-off (Warren Buffet comes to mind)."

I don't disagree, but I think you are missing the point of the question, which was, 'how many current owners of a Tesla, (i.e., those that already have a S-Class will now want to add a C-Class to their garage), will want to purchase a 3? And, as I stated upthread, my guess is that it won;t be that many, unless they are reserving for grandkids.

"Mercedes, to use your example, doesn't have "fans"."

Change 'Mercedes' to BMW, and the 700 series owners buying a 300 series?

"Tesla has made their cars a hot commodity, not just a method of transportation."

I get that, and I'll be in line next Thursday.

"People who buy Teslas are more akin to iPhone maniacs..."

Not sure its a proper example. One costs a few hundred bucks and has ~zero implementation costs; the other, thousands, and generally requires a home garage. (Which excludes all the wealthy millenials who live in upscale apartments; of course, they Uber anyway.)

IMO, the question for current owners is not, "Why not?", but Why?

But I guess we'll see next week. As a (small) stockholder, I'd love to be proved wrong!

"Mercedes, to use your example, doesn't have "fans"."

Change 'Mercedes' to BMW, and the 700 series owners buying a 300 series?

"People who buy Teslas are more akin to iPhone maniacs..."

Not sure its a proper example. One costs a few hundred bucks and has ~zero implementation costs; the other, thousands, and generally requires a home garage. (Which excludes all the wealthy millenials who live in upscale apartments; of course, they Uber anyway.

Re: the first example, I don't see the difference. Most car manufacturers today are just that: car manufacturers. People buy their cars for lots of reasons, most of which boil down to some variation of "personal preference." Tesla products have an element of technology that makes them attractive to certain people for reasons a typical car is not.

As for the iPhone example, it's not a perfect comparison, but it works in the sense that we're dealing with a small sect of that fan base - one that has shown the capacity to afford a $70,000+ car - i.e. current Tesla owners. They deal in currency that the typical iPhone user does not. They also probably buy a new iPhone for themselves or their family members without much consideration, as the relative price, as you suggested, is quite small. That being said, the relative cost of a Model 3 reservation as compared to an iPhone purchase is about equal. It's something I expect a lot of currently Tesla owners will consider simply to give themselves the option later of affording something cheaper in the Model 3 than something they've already shown an interest in paying for, as an early adopter to boot.

"ou have to figure that a significant percentage of current Tesla owners will put their money down right away, because why not."

Why not? Because if you can afford an S-Class, you don't buy the C-class.
This may be partly true but a large proportion of Top-of-the-line C-class could easily afford larger ones, but want a smaller size. Another large proportion already own MB's and are adding to the fleet. Cars are not one size fits all, which is why a given model price range is from x to 2x or even more. Check any brand and you'll find that.

Current Tesla owners reserving 3's will be just like all the others, some will have bought used S's and want a new car, others additional ones, others want smaller, and others will have other motivations.

A leasing company called Mister Green from the Netherlands has started a campagne to collect 1000 Model 3 orders before March 31st. They had 21 orders within 30 minutes, but their counter hasn't updated since. There are some issues here. I would doubt they can order 1000 cars in one batch if demand is strong in Europe and second, the counter could be a bit optimistic to get people to sign up quickly.

MisterGreen Electric Lease

Also, let's be fair and accept that some measurable number of current Tesla owners will reserve one as a friend or family member's request just to try gaming the system to get it early. They were made acutely aware of their advantage via email. And they can obviously afford the Model 3 at any price point. A lot of them will probably successfully game the system too. In that case, the sooner the reservation is placed - even if that just means online - the better.

...Tesla products have an element of technology that makes them attractive to certain people for reasons a typical car is not.

As for the iPhone example, it's not a perfect comparison, but it works in the sense that we're dealing with a small sect of that fan base ...already shown an interest in paying for, as an early adopter to boot.
For sure one of the Model 3 reserving segments is those people who are Tesla fans and can afford it, so they'll do it. There is a decent segment of current Tesla owners who have had or now have lots of other high end cars. They aren't necessarily Jay Leno, Steven Colbert etc, but they are people most of us know and some of us are ready to buy the 3 because we think it'll be fun to do it.

There is a big difference though. No matter how consequential economically a car purchase might be vs an iPhone, nearly all people will think more about a car purchase than they will about a phone. Despite that pretty extensive research (I'll provide references if you want them) suggests that more than 70% of all US car purchases are impulse buys. Tesla does not really help make impulse buys because they are built to order. Only CPO and Inventory cars, all 'used', can be bought off the lot. That moves Tesla to a less impulsive buy than are others and forces a greater involvement in selection because configuration is done by the end user. That increased buyer involvement does act to reinforce positive expectations.

I'll argue that the Tesla owners share some characteristics with Apple fans. Buying into the ecosystem is a major part of that, as is the seamless customer experience compared with any other car manufacturer.

This stuff, early adopter and influencer types of things, are precisely what has driven Tesla psychology since the beginning. I am comfortable with explaining much of it this way, and I admit to being infected with both Apple and Tesla mystique.

Reactions: Red Sage and ELRev
Many Model S/X owners will buy it because they need two or more cars in their household. A cheap Model 3 would be perfect for commuting and getting around town. That way they can also keep the mileage low on their Model S/X, without having to resort to some boring ICE, Leaf or whatever.

Sorry this statement I simply don't agree with. .......I don't know if i would treat a Model 3 any different than a Model S. They both require basically the same amount of care. Being cheaper doesn't make it a "beater" Any Model S/X owners I see buying this car would be buying it for a significant other or even kids that don't need the size of a Model S. I've seen owners comment that they would downgrade..I don't see this being the "commuter" over the Model S. The truth is the only good EV on the Market was Model S. So some basically only had 1 choice.. now that the 3 is here.. i won't say it will cannibalize Model S but there will be a few owners who generally dont want the size of Model S and finally have a alternative option in the 3. No one is gonna send almost 100k on a far then decide to commute in the 35k version.. The only people who probably keep an ICE is because the need a second car, were not ready to fully commit to EV or were waiting on something better than the alternative EV.... Who here owns a Model S and commutes in a ICE? I would think slim to none and if they did im sure its not because of keeping miles low on their MS.

The big three in Germany (BMW,Mercedes and Audi) must be shaking in their boots heading into the 31st. If there are 100k+ pre-orders in the first couple days that would be devastating to their bread and butter market segment. I bet all the executives at those companies will be watching the live event on the 31st. If Tesla comes in at 100, 200 or 300k pre-orders it will be full on war heading into 2020 in the luxury sedan and SUV market. We are going to see more innovation in the next 4 or 5 years then we have seen in the last 20. As a energy independence supporter, car enthusiast and technology connoisseur, aka geek, I can't wait. We are in for a treat in the next decade. Can you imagine what the 2026 Tesla Model S, 3, X, Y, R, and Z will bring to the marketplace. It's going to be nuts!!

It will be interesting to revisit this thread in 2 weeks. People are overlooking some realities here--
Yeah. And one of those harsh realities will be the overwhelming amount of support that exists for Tesla Motors.

1. American mainstream car shoppers are used to buying off the lot. The idea of waiting 18 months will immediately eliminate most buyers. Until Tesla has inventory on a lot for same-day sale, they will never sell accord or camry numbers.
The Accord and Camry are the perennial leaders of the midsize new car sales charts in the US. They are each built by companies that have an overall capacity of millions of units worldwide. In particular, Toyota is among a very few manufacturers that approach or surpass 10,000,000 units worldwide, every year. It will be a very long time before Tesla Motors is able to compete directly, head-to-head with the Camry or Accord. So, they chose the next best target.

The BMW 3-Series is the perennial leader of the compact entry level luxury car sales charts in the US. Before the company decided to separate 3-Series sales from 4-Series sales totals in the middle of 2015, its sales exceeded even the Toyota Prius in the US. Even so, in 2015 the 3-Series outsold the first five years of Chevrolet VOLT totals combined -- in 2015 alone. Among passenger cars, the 3-Series is the single best selling premium brand vehicle in the US -- and the WORLD.

Elon Musk and Tesla Motors have been consistent in stating their intent to target the BMW 3-Series with their Generation III vehicles since at least 2012. So, expecting them to instead go after the Accord or Camry is completely inaccurate. Almost as if you expect the Model ≡ to be manufactured in Fremont for Sale in the US alone.

2. The service center build-out is woefully inadequate for a mainstream car. Average buyers do not buy cars without a local dealer/service department. By the time the M3 hits the bamboo floor Tesla will have moved to a traditional dealership model. There's simply no way around it for high volume sales to average buyers.
Perhaps you have not noticed that multiple States have been actively blocking or outright banning Tesla Motors' preferred means of doing business? Some have even tried to prevent the installation of Superchargers. Service Centers remain banned in States like Michigan. While other States only grudgingly allow a Tesla Gallery, instead of a Tesla Store... And at least one demands that the entire Service Manual be made publicly available to every 'independent shop' in the entire State -- even if they have no interest in servicing them. So, please... Don't act as if any apparent 'inadequacy' is due to Tesla Motors themselves. They are fighting a long, up hill battle against established players who are working hard to prevent their progression.

There is absolutely NO reason for Tesla Motors to move to today's version of 'independent franchised dealerships'. There is no advantage for them whatsoever to do so. The bulk of Tesla Customers aren't likely to be 'average' buyers for another decade. The very nature of the electric car is that it requires study and forethought to make an informed purchasing decision. Walk-ins, and impulse buyers will NOT be their primary Customers for years.

NADA is perfectly aware that the Tesla Motors direct sales model will work just fine. That is why they are working so hard to prevent it becoming the success it is destined to be. They have changed the law in some States, like New Jersey and Michigan, then claimed that Tesla Motors should just 'play by the rules' like 'everyone else'. They never admit that 'the rules' had previously been specific to those who already had franchise agreements, and did NOT mandate that using franchises was the sole means of selling new cars. And, in the midst of solidifying a state of monopoly for themselves for new car sales, by 'clarifying the law', the 'independent franchised dealerships' simultaneously accuse Tesla Motors of having a 'monopoly' on sales!

There are only two ways that Tesla Motors will submit to the 'independent franchised dealership' system:
1) States relent, and allow for new car franchises to be governed the same way as franchises from other businesses, such as restaurant chains. Elon has already stated that if he had the level of control that McDonald's can exercise over its franchises, he'd be happy to craft something to his liking. Unfortunately, most States specifically separate franchise laws for other companies from those that sell cars -- on purpose -- so that such an arrangement would be patently illegal.
2) Tesla Motors loses a suit at the Federal level that yields a court order that they absolutely cannot sell direct to anyone, anywhere in the US because they are a manufacturer of automobiles.​

You also overlook that Tesla Motors has chosen not to use their Service Centers as a profit center. Meanwhile, a large percentage of profit at an 'independent franchised dealership' comes from their Service Department. The way current franchise law works, if Tesla Motors were to ask that their franchises NOT make a profit from Service it would be considered 'unusual' and on those grounds alone the request could be denied, or flat out ignored.

3. A $35k M3 will be about as common as a $70k MS. Which is to say, non-existent.
Sure. Unless you drive a taxi, or municipal law enforcement vehicle, or rental car. Because the Model ≡ will definitely be plentiful in those fleets. The substantial reduction in operational costs will make the car very popular for such applications. Move over Prius! There's a new Green Car in town...

There will be a lot of early adapters and switchers from Prius/Leaf/Volt and a few sales cannibalized from the Model S. Joe Mainstream will not be ordering this month. 100,000 in the first week? LOL. No way.
Yours seems to be a point of view that is seriously skewed toward US Customers. I do expect that perhaps 60% to 80% of initial Model ≡ Reservations may be to people in the US, during the first 24-48 hours. And I expect over the course of a week to a month that will change to be only about 40% of total Reservations.

As soon as Tesla decides to stop growing for awhile, we will very quickly start seeing profits for Tesla, and everyone will be confused. There will be investigations and congressional hearings to figure out how Tesla suddenly became profitable.
If the base version of the Model ≡ has a 100 kWh battery pack capacity, General Motors will accuse them of 'technology dumping'.

I would guess maybe 25,000 reservations in the first couple of days, but I would also guess Tesla won't disclose the numbers and we will never really know.
There is probably some minimum number, maybe 50,000 or so, whereby Elon would decide to make an announcement. I would guess it would be done in a manner that paraphrases Sally Field... "Wow. You like us! You really, really like us!" Then give the number.

I actually think someone is going to hand Elon the global day 1 numbers, and if they're good, you'll hear them at the event on the evening of the 31st.
Exactly.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Check out this article talking about how EV's and Hybrids are going mainstream. That's not the interesting part, the interesting part is that "Last year, automakers had 16 hybrid and electric models on sale, but sales sank to just over 274,000."
Automakers say electrics, hybrids no longer just fuel savers

So folks are saying Tesla will have over 1/3 of last years total EV AND Hybrid sales reserved within 48 hours. I'm all for Tesla and will reserving my model3 on the 31st but I'm starting to think we may be a little to skewed to Tesla World Domination here.

You know, just like how they peddle magic kitchen knives and wonder toasters in Shopping channels, Tesla should have someone peddling Model 3 on TV, with

".. and thats not all, we will throw in another cup holder too, but only if you call in the next 10 minutes.."

and having running counter on how many orders they received. That will send a message to those slouchy BMW executives

A while ago I thought it would take a month to get 50,000 reservations on the books, but with the developments of the past couple weeks 100,000 within the first 24/48 hours seems like a reasonable guesstimate. Could get 30,000+ from employees and Model S/X owners, and the rest at the stores and online. I would guess 200,000-300,000 by the end of 2016, but that could turn out to be too conservative.

I actually think someone is going to hand Elon the global day 1 numbers, and if they're good, you'll hear them at the event on the evening of the 31st.
I have not seen the date for the next shareholder letter (1st 2016 quarter Tesla results), but it should take place some time in the first two weeks of April. So I really think that if the first days reservations numbers are significant, Elon Musk could retain them and then, reveal these numbers at the end of the shareholder event like a some sort of "Well, for all the Tesla stocks short sellers I have a some news... more than 100000 reservations have been made until now. More clearly speaking: "you are screwed!". I would love so much something like this to happen.

Sorry to say I don't think it will be 100k in a couple days even month. I also don't think there will be any real lines for reservations. People would probably do the most reservations online. There will be a good amount of reservations just not 100k (Well I'm thinking US wise). 100k around the world then probably possible but still doubtful.

This is a quote from the from a TMC member going to the Montreal Tesla store to reserve. "Camping out two nights now as big crowds expected here"

Look here for more: Model3-CampOut-LineUp-OnLine

• Informative
Reactions: callmesam