Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Model S Standard Features Base Model 3 Might Not Have

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Adding on to the talk about the Model 3 having less features than a Model S, here is a list of standard features on the Model S and X that I think there's a strong chance will not be included in the base Model 3. Many of these features were at some point paid upgrades on the Model S, and I expect that some version of the “Technology Package" will be resurrected to make most if not all these features available at an added cost for the Model 3:

1) Turn By turn Navigation

2) Power Liftgate (Kind of obvious)

3) Power Folding mirrors

4) Daytime Running lights

5) Internet Radio

6) 400 KwH/year supercharger credits

7) Parking sensors (The sensors are there bc of autopilot, activation may be an added cost)

8) Web Browsing

9) Power heated front seats

10) Homelink

11) Alcantara headliner

12) Tesla App remote access to car (For preconditioning and monitoring)

13) Keyless entry

14) Driver seat memory

15) One-touch power windows

16) Automatic rain sensing wipers

17) LED headlamps

To Reiterate, I’m not saying these definitively won’t be included, but I have a strong suspicion they won’t. Any others that could be added to the list?

I think #4 is required in enough places (Canada, Europe, etc) that they will be included for ease of manufacturing.

I agree all the internet enabled stuff (streaming radio, Google maps, etc) may require additional subscriptions.

Nice list. There's not a whole lot on here I would need, and the wants are limited to Homelink, supercharger credits, and maybe driver seat memory (and that one's only because I swear my wife adjusts her seat in a completely different way every time she gets in the car).

It's an interesting thread, but I don't know how to predict Tesla's approach. They could justify charging option fees for anything including Cruise control, air conditioning, backup camera, Bluetooth, etc. Elon continues to say that they are anti selling the M3... Making every single creature comfort bell and whistle cost buyers more sure is a good way to anti sell the M3. On the flip side, Elon has claimed that even without ANY options that the M3 will be the nicest equipped car at the price point. So, I really don't know if they will get particularly greedy with nickel and diming every feature...

I will tell you that I expect $35k caliber standard features to be standard (like your #4,7,10,13,15). I also expect headlights must be LED to minimize parasitic loads...

I'm quite sure they have looked at what's standard on the cars they have called out as comparison cars
3 series , Audi A4 and have mapped out what's standard and what's optional.

The model 3 will be compare well in base features to the base 3 series and A4
Some Tesla unique features will eclipse what's offered on the competition and there may be some area where the others have advantages.
Basic features , or what have become basic features will be standard
Auto headlights
Auto wipers
Cruise
DRL
Auto climate control
Keyless start

Now homelink, parking sensor system, nav , auto high beams, power seats ? Memory, blind spot monitor,
All these seem like extra cost on this class of car.

A4 in US:

upload_2017-5-5_18-48-25-png.225826

upload_2017-5-5_18-48-53-png.225827

upload_2017-5-5_18-49-26-png.225828

upload_2017-5-5_18-49-56-png.225829

upload_2017-5-5_18-50-26-png.225830

Plus: leather seats, sunroof, heated side mirrors and washer nozzles, CarPlay or Android Auto

I would agree with most of those. The ones I think might be included would daytime running lights, since they are so prevalent in almost all cars now, I can see at least the drivers window being one touch, and keyless entry, again because it is so prevalent as to be almost expected.

For a bunch of the others I wouldn't be surprised if there is a tech packager of some sort that will get you a lot of them.

Infiniti Q50 in US:
  • Rain sensing wipers
  • Automatic on/off LED headlights with Daytime Running Lights
  • INFINITI Intelligent Key with Push Button Ignition
  • Power windows with illuminated switches and one-touch auto-up/down with auto-reverse feature
  • 8-way power driver's seat with adjustable lumbar support: 8-way power front-passenger's seat
  • SiriusXM® Satellite Radio with 3-month trial subscription
Plus: rear air vents

Reactions: gowthamn

3) Power Folding mirrors

5) Internet Radio

7) Parking sensors (The sensors are there bc of autopilot, activation may be an added cost)

8) Web Browsing

10) Homelink

11) Alcantara headliner

13) Keyless entry

14) Driver seat memory

17) LED headlamps
My 2012 Prius Plug-in ($42K sticker price) has all the options including the following:
1, 4, 9, 10, 12 (remote a.c. start), 13, 15, 17 plus a primitive autopilot radar cruise control. Also has Vegan "leather", 12 months free SiriusXM, one touch up/down on all windows, power lumbar, HUD, auto lights, fold flat rear seats.

I would like to have all of those on my TM3 (perhaps in an option package) plus 3, 7, 14.

We shall see, none of those is a deal breaker for me.

Last edited:
Considering our 2006 Kia has several of the features listed, I'd be surprised if that list wasn't a bit pessimistic. Tesla can bundle all of the Internet features (including keyless entry) into an optional package for all my wife and I care. We want automatic braking and adaptive cruise control. I wouldn't mind seeing DRL, as we live in Portland, OR and my wife doesn't turn her lights on until sunset regardless of the weather.

Of course it will be included.

3) Power Folding mirrors
Probably not.

Included.

Included (or perhaps 300kWh if they want to think of it by mileage)

8) Web Browsing
Data might not be free, but this and internet radio are too cheap to not include.

Needed for range considerations.

11) Alcantara headliner
Meh, who cares.

Of course it will be included.

13) Keyless entry
Of course again.

14) Driver seat memory
Power seats might go away, but if power, memory is cheap.

17) LED headlamps
LED have reached parity, power savings is worth any tiny extra cost.

Thank you kindly.

No matter what you want to say, almost all of these features were not included in the base Model S as late as 2015 (when they finally removed the tech package).

Some basic functions that were missing included Tesla App connectivity, Navigation, Memory, web browsing and internet radio. All of these require no extra hardware, but their functionality was still limited because Telsa was “supply constraint.”

If they could have left these out in a car as expensive as the S, I can entirely see them doing it here. After all its only $--- to achieve that functionality.

Reactions: ikjadoon
1) Turn By turn Navigation -> Needed due to competitors having Carplay or the Android one.
2) Power Liftgate (Kind of obvious) -> It has to be there at least as an option because it is on $35K subaru's.
3) Power Folding mirrors -> Doesn't need it.
4) Daytime Running lights -> Needed by law
5) Internet Radio -> Can't do without it these days, but it will be done differently.
6) 400 KwH/year supercharger credits -> Gone
7) Parking sensors -> Has to be there, but likely a software package for AP
8) Web Browsing -> Could care less. Probably gone.
9) Power heated front seats -> Has to be there, but could be an option.
10) Homelink -> Has to be there, but likely part of some expensive option
11) Alcantara headliner -> Who knows.
12) Tesla App remote access to car (For preconditioning and monitoring) -> Has to be there
13) Keyless entry -> I think this is needed at least in automatically unlocking when you grab the handle.
14) Driver seat memory -> Has to be there in combination with motorized seats (the good seats will be an expensive option.
15) One-touch power windows -> Don't care
16) Automatic rain sensing wipers -> Poor self driving car will crash without it, but it won't be on the base unit.
17) LED headlamps -> They're cheap, and energy efficient so I don't see why they wouldn't have them.
18) Free LTE Internet Connectivity -> Gone.

I don't think they'll differentiate by taking away things aside from going to single screen. The single screen will cut significant cost. I also think they'll completely revamp the navigation on it so it won't be two separate systems, and this will save money as well.

This is what I expect them to add to the S/X to help differentiate it from a fully loaded $60K Model 3.

1.) Dashcam recording
2.) Heated/cooled/massaging seats
3.) revamped interior that offers more space and is designed by the person they stole from Volvo.
4.) Heated/Cooled cupholders
5.) Rear seats that recline (maybe not possible, but one can dream).
7.) Foot massager (okay, maybe not)
8.) Much better sound system
9.) Massive reduction in road noise.
10.) Tesla Glass
11.) Much better lights that are competitive with high end German cars. But, this one requires some law changes to allow for the really awesome lights they have in Germany.

So in short the only direction Tesla can go is forwards. They have to out innovate the significant cost reduction that the Model 3, Bolt, and the next generation Leaf brings to the table. Not to mention the Germans are marching with billions spend on charging infrastructure.

Last edited:
I would be very surprised if NAV wasn't included, just so people can get SC locations and directions to them, unless they integrate it into the Tesla app, which could be possible.

Keyless entry I would be shocked if it wasn't included.

DRL are likely to be standard too.

No real dispute about anything else.

Adding on to the talk about the Model 3 having less features than a Model S, here is a list of standard features on the Model S and X that I think there's a strong chance will not be included in the base Model 3. Many of these features were at some point paid upgrades on the Model S, and I expect that some version of the “Technology Package" will be resurrected to make most if not all these features available at an added cost for the Model 3:

3) Power Folding mirrors

5) Internet Radio

8) Web Browsing

10) Homelink

11) Alcantara headliner

13) Keyless entry

14) Driver seat memory

17) LED headlamps

To Reiterate, I’m not saying these definitively won’t be included, but I have a strong suspicion they won’t. Any others that could be added to the list?
Transport charge, storage surcharge, additional overcharge, finder’s fee, keys, floor mats.