Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Model S Standard Features Base Model 3 Might Not Have

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1.) Dashcam recording
2.) Heated/cooled/massaging seats
3.) revamped interior that offers more space and is designed by the person they stole from Volvo.
4.) Heated/Cooled cupholders
5.) Rear seats that recline (maybe not possible, but one can dream).
7.) Foot massager (okay, maybe not)
8.) Much better sound system
9.) Massive reduction in road noise.
10.) Tesla Glass
11.) Much better lights that are competitive with high end German cars. But, this one requires some law changes to allow for the really awesome lights they have in Germany.

So in short the only direction Tesla can go is forwards. They have to out innovate the significant cost reduction that the Model 3, Bolt, and the next generation Leaf brings to the table. Not to mention the Germans are marching with billions spend on charging infrastructure.
Nice. I agree. They will improve S and X with more features rather than remove all features from 3. Some of the features are already present in S class and E class anyway. So Tesla will add them to S and X.

Some of you seem to think they will do away with supercharger credits, I just don't see it at least for a year or two. Range and distance travel is always a concern to buyers when you start talking about BEVs. I think this is a selling point that would make the mainstream ICE buyer more likely to convert and just more comfortable with distance travel. I wouldn't be surprised if they decrease it to 200 kWh but I think they need some credits included for now.

The only thing I would like is heated seats, but nothing is essential. Most of the features are expensive and unnecessary luxuries that do nothing to enhance the driving experience. I can perform faster internet functions independently of the car. And I would pay to have my wipers NOT turn on in the rain.

Just give me amazing low center of gravity handling characteristics, race-car acceleration, and a large battery to sustain it for distance. Please please don't stuff the car with gimmicky techny BS.

Reactions: Topher and mike_j
Pretty sure they'll offer a "tech" package, including things like:
• Heated seats
• Memory seats
• Auto folding mirrors
• Power liftgate
• Extra dome lights
• Free web browsing and internet radio (tunein, spotify etck)

Still, there should be other options as well, such as heated steering wheel, heated wipers, upgraded sound system, EAP/FSD.

The problem with Teslas automated wipers -- at least on my AP1-car -- is that they absolutely do not sense the rain the way humans do. Big chunky rain drops keep sitting on my windshield, blocking my view, and no wiping. Puny, non-detectable droplets and the wipers go s*** crazy, wiping like a maniac.

Then you have the "standard" automatic wiping. The lowest setting is far too quick. The other (highest) I've never used. I wish there were more settings/levels to adjust

Last edited:
The problem with Teslas automated wipers -- at least on my AP1-car -- is that they absolutely do not sense the rain the way humans do. Big chunky rain drops keep sitting on my windshield, blocking my view, and no wiping. Puny, non-detectable droplets and the wipers go s*** crazy, wiping like a maniac.

Then you have the "standard" automatic wiping. The lowest setting is far too quick. The other (highest) I've never used. I wish there were more settings/levels to adjust

same with BMW automatic wiping. It's just not as good as the human eye...

You can turn the rain sensing wipers off, but there is no manual intermittent settings. It's just low or high on the manual settings.
Well, that sucks. Everyone's talking about Power lift gates, heated everything, leather, etc., but to me, the number one feature that makes me feel like I'm driving in a nice car vs a shitty one is having a lot of intermittent wiper speed options.

1) Turn By turn Navigation -> Needed due to competitors having Carplay or the Android one.
2) Power Liftgate (Kind of obvious) -> It has to be there at least as an option because it is on $35K subaru's.
3) Power Folding mirrors -> Doesn't need it.
4) Daytime Running lights -> Needed by law
5) Internet Radio -> Can't do without it these days, but it will be done differently.
6) 400 KwH/year supercharger credits -> Gone
7) Parking sensors -> Has to be there, but likely a software package for AP
8) Web Browsing -> Could care less. Probably gone.
9) Power heated front seats -> Has to be there, but could be an option.
10) Homelink -> Has to be there, but likely part of some expensive option
11) Alcantara headliner -> Who knows.
12) Tesla App remote access to car (For preconditioning and monitoring) -> Has to be there
13) Keyless entry -> I think this is needed at least in automatically unlocking when you grab the handle.
14) Driver seat memory -> Has to be there in combination with motorized seats (the good seats will be an expensive option.
15) One-touch power windows -> Don't care
16) Automatic rain sensing wipers -> Poor self driving car will crash without it, but it won't be on the base unit.
17) LED headlamps -> They're cheap, and energy efficient so I don't see why they wouldn't have them.
18) Free LTE Internet Connectivity -> Gone.

I don't think they'll differentiate by taking away things aside from going to single screen. The single screen will cut significant cost. I also think they'll completely revamp the navigation on it so it won't be two separate systems, and this will save money as well.

This is what I expect them to add to the S/X to help differentiate it from a fully loaded $60K Model 3.

1.) Dashcam recording
2.) Heated/cooled/massaging seats
3.) revamped interior that offers more space and is designed by the person they stole from Volvo.
4.) Heated/Cooled cupholders
5.) Rear seats that recline (maybe not possible, but one can dream).
7.) Foot massager (okay, maybe not)
8.) Much better sound system
9.) Massive reduction in road noise.
10.) Tesla Glass
11.) Much better lights that are competitive with high end German cars. But, this one requires some law changes to allow for the really awesome lights they have in Germany.

So in short the only direction Tesla can go is forwards. They have to out innovate the significant cost reduction that the Model 3, Bolt, and the next generation Leaf brings to the table. Not to mention the Germans are marching with billions spend on charging infrastructure.
LTE internet will be there, Tesla needs all the data to improve autopilot so no cost to them to include internet radio or browser..

Adding on to the talk about the Model 3 having less features than a Model S, here is a list of standard features on the Model S and X that I think there's a strong chance will not be included in the base Model 3. Many of these features were at some point paid upgrades on the Model S, and I expect that some version of the “Technology Package" will be resurrected to make most if not all these features available at an added cost for the Model 3:

1) Turn By turn Navigation

2) Power Liftgate (Kind of obvious)

3) Power Folding mirrors

4) Daytime Running lights

5) Internet Radio

6) 400 KwH/year supercharger credits

7) Parking sensors (The sensors are there bc of autopilot, activation may be an added cost)

8) Web Browsing

9) Power heated front seats

10) Homelink

11) Alcantara headliner

12) Tesla App remote access to car (For preconditioning and monitoring)

13) Keyless entry

14) Driver seat memory

15) One-touch power windows

16) Automatic rain sensing wipers

17) LED headlamps

To Reiterate, I’m not saying these definitively won’t be included, but I have a strong suspicion they won’t. Any others that could be added to the list?

Elon Musk is not going to want Model 3 cancellations if Tesla releases a sparse list of standard equipment and large costs for options

Based on the list above here is my two cents worth as to what will be standard or optional:

Turn by turn navigation - . Absolutely standard: have to find SC and service center locations while traveling. Could be a Tech Package (TP) option but that would be really chicken of Tesla.

Power folding mirrors - Not standard, probably in one of two or three different Tech Package options

Daylight Running Lights - Mandatory in U.S.A.

Internet Radio - Not standard, probably in one of two or three different Tech Package options

Supercharger Credits - Yes, Musk said so.

Parking Sensors - Not standard, probably in one of two or three different Tech Package options

Homelink - Not standard, probably in one of two or three different Tech Package options

Tesla App - Absolutely

Keyless entry - Not standard, probably in one of two or three different Tech Package options

Driver seat memory - Not standard, probably in one of two or three different Tech Package options

One touch power windows - Should be but probably in one of two or three different TP's

Auto rain sensing wipers - Not standard, probably in one of two or three different Tech Package options

LED headlights - Absolutely, energy savings

There you go..Enjoy

Reactions: hckyplyr