Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Model S Standard Features Base Model 3 Might Not Have

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon has said there will be less options on the Model 3. But most of you are saying almost every option will be included. Like heated seats, why would people in FL need heated seats has to be an option probably as part of cold weather package. Cooled seats aren't even offered on Model S/X so we no it is gone. Just based on Elon's statement at least four times saying the Model 3 will have less options I foresee about half of these options will be gone or as an option in a group with other options package. I have no idea which ones but half have to go. After all this is a $35k car not a $50k or $75k car.

Reactions: R.S and dennis_d
Elon has said there will be less options on the Model 3. But most of you are saying almost every option will be included. Like heated seats, why would people in FL need heated seats has to be an option probably as part of cold weather package. Cooled seats aren't even offered on Model S/X so we no it is gone. Just based on Elon's statement at least four times saying the Model 3 will have less options I foresee about half of these options will be gone or as an option in a group with other options package. I have no idea which ones but half have to go. After all this is a $35k car not a $50k or $75k car.

Heated power seats are pretty standard at this price level, doesn't matter if people live in FL or not.

Take the top of the line 2017 Honda Accord Touring v6, which is priced right at $35,000. Here are some of the features it comes with:
•Navigation system
•Lane keep assist
•Adaptive cruise control
•Auto high beam headlights
•Rain sensing wipers
•LED fog lights
•Heated side mirrors
•Homelink remote system
•Automatic dimming rear view mirror
•power seats with two position memory
•heated seats (front and outboard rear)
2017 Honda Accord Sedan | Honda

Now, I'm not saying I'm expecting all of these features to come standard on a 3, but most of them should be. I'm expecting it to have comparable features to be able to compete with other cars at this price point like a top of the line Accord. A standard Model 3 should still be able to blow the Accord out of the water in performance AND have competitive features.

Technology moves quickly. This isn't 2012 anymore, it's half a decade later where a lot of these features have come down to the $35,000 range.

1. I think the pillars and support bats going across the Windows/roof would be fine in alcantara, even if you opt for the full glass roof.

2. I didn't say i wanted/didn't want alcantara. I agreed with the op that it won't be standard.
Certainly, and I agree with both points. It just struck me as odd for the OP to be talking about an option that is normally associated with the roof covering, right after other threads note that the default roof will be all glass. (Your post was an easy place to copy #11 from; sorry for the inadvertent attribution to you.)

Certainly, and I agree with both points. It just struck me as odd for the OP to be talking about an option that is normally associated with the roof covering, right after other threads note that the default roof will be all glass. (Your post was an easy place to copy #11 from; sorry for the inadvertent attribution to you.)

The default roof is expected to still have a portion of metal roof. It would be the center section in the below:
13051755_10155047180988521_1514457577410907886_n.jpg

There are pics on here somewhere of all 3 options (photoshops).

The default roof is expected to still have a portion of metal roof. It would be the center section in the below:
13051755_10155047180988521_1514457577410907886_n.jpg

There are pics on here somewhere of all 3 options (photoshops).
We do expect several roofing options to be offered, but the question is how things get combined (the whole point, really, about this thread). Perhaps I'm extrapolating a bit too much, but with the discussion about the metal roof (Anyone think the metal roof will come painted black? - I think that was the thread?) it seems that for cost reasons, the default (i.e. lowest cost) roof could very well be the glass one, bow to stern. If so, I expect an option for an upgraded headliner would be unlikely, unless they call it a sun shade :). If the metal roof then becomes an upgrade, the headliner upgrade might get bundled in with it too.

Certainly too many combinations to choose at this point.

Heated power seats are pretty standard at this price level, doesn't matter if people live in FL or not.

Take the top of the line 2017 Honda Accord Touring v6, which is priced right at $35,000. Here are some of the features it comes with:
•Navigation system
•Lane keep assist
•Adaptive cruise control
•Auto high beam headlights
•Rain sensing wipers
•LED fog lights
•Heated side mirrors
•Homelink remote system
•Automatic dimming rear view mirror
•power seats with two position memory
•heated seats (front and outboard rear)
2017 Honda Accord Sedan | Honda

Now, I'm not saying I'm expecting all of these features to come standard on a 3, but most of them should be. I'm expecting it to have comparable features to be able to compete with other cars at this price point like a top of the line Accord. A standard Model 3 should still be able to blow the Accord out of the water in performance AND have competitive features.

Technology moves quickly. This isn't 2012 anymore, it's half a decade later where a lot of these features have come down to the $35,000 range.
Which is ironic considering a $35,000 BMW doesn't come with most of those features. Yet it is still somehow competitive.

Reactions: dennis_d
One thing I thought about, in the beginning, was the possibility of making a bigger touchscreen an option. But since there only is one single screen, that doesn't really seem plausible.

To be honest, they could go wild with options and could still compete with the Audi A3 sedan, which is one size below the Model 3. The Audi A4 starts at 35k, with the 2.0 TFSI ultra, 0-60 in 7.1s (according to Audi) and following standard features:

• Leather seating surfaces
  • 7.0" MMI® center infotainment display
  • Audi sound system with ten speakers and single CD player with MP3 playback capability
  • Voice control system
  • 5.0" monochrome driver information system
  • Audi smartphone interface including Apple CarPlay™ and Google™ Android Auto™
  • HD Radio™ Technology
  • Cruise control with coast, resume and accelerate features
  • Audi music interface with two USB ports for data and charging connection
  • BLUETOOTH® wireless technology preparation for compatible mobile phones 3
  • BLUETOOTH® streaming audio for compatible devices 3
  • Garage door opener (Homelink®)
  • Keyless engine start/stop 4
  • Rear view parking camera
  • Audi pre sense® basic
  • Audi pre sense® city
  • Audi drive select
  • Rain/light sensor for automatic windshield wipers and headlights
But it is missing features like
Convenience package $900
  • SiriusXM® Satellite Radio
  • Anti-theft alarm with tow-away protection
  • Eight-way power front seats with driver memory
  • Audi advanced key — keyless start, stop and entry
  • Power-adjustable, heated exterior side mirrors with memory
MMI® navigation plus package $2,400
  • Audi connect® CARE
  • Color driver information system
  • MMI® navigation plus with MMI® touch
  • Audi connect® PRIME & PLUS

Heated front seats $500

Rear side airbags $350

If they could replicate that, I'd say: mission more than accomplished, a mass market EV, that is as well equipped as a petrol competitor, but quicker, for the same amount of money.

There will definitely be more options available on the Model 3, since the Audi has 2 additional trim levels, which are basically options themselves, with additional options, exclusive to those higher trim levels.

Last edited:
Which is ironic considering a $35,000 BMW doesn't come with most of those features. Yet it is still somehow competitive.
Yeah, I thought about that a lot. It's sort of like the problem a lot of people have with Apple products. You pay way more and get less in terms of specs and features compared to competing products. You're really paying for the brand and design, which is very similar to BMW's model. The similarity to Apple here would be just features thought, as the 3 would pretty much beat everything in this price range in terms of performance, maintance costs etc. So the analogy to Apple doesn't quite fit 100%.

I could see Tesla following this model since it typically produces higher margins. If you look at the 3 series options though, there are soooooo many to choose from. Tesla won't do that that because it'll make manufacturing too difficult. So, I'd expect either a few bundeled option packages, a lot of the stuff like what the Accord has will be standard, or they'll omit typical features in this price range.

One last piece of complete speculation. I don't think a metal roof option will be offered simply because it's no longer offered on the S. If they're trying to simply the manufacturing process, I doubt they're going to give you more options to choose from than the S. Also, there could be some benefit in the manufacturing process with access to the car if you only have the glass/pano options vs. also having a metal roof.

I think they have things in priority order in spec'ing things

1) dramatically reducing cost of base $35K model - they need to pull out 50% of cost of Model S if @ similar margins
2) how do they option up to improve margins and make customers happy
3) how do they differentiate from model S

We know about some of the big things they are doing with battery pack, 20% smaller, higher volume, no center console, but I expect they will have to remove things from the base if they help save dollars.

The other thing we know is that the car has 1/2 the wiring of a MS. To me that means fewer far fewer motors and sensors for accessories. We know they will retain them for Autopilot, so they have to cut elsewhere.

If it requires additional wiring and cost - I wouldn't be surprised if cut or only available as an option.
If it has little/no incremental cost but has value (auto sensing wipers since they need camera anyway) - could go either way.

We already know that some desirable features aren't going to available at launch - Dual motor and Ludicrous - perhaps they simplify early cars in terms of systems and add them in on refreshes.

I think they have things in priority order in spec'ing things

1) dramatically reducing cost of base $35K model - they need to pull out 50% of cost of Model S if @ similar margins
2) how do they option up to improve margins and make customers happy
3) how do they differentiate from model S

We know about some of the big things they are doing with battery pack, 20% smaller, higher volume, no center console, but I expect they will have to remove things from the base if they help save dollars.

The other thing we know is that the car has 1/2 the wiring of a MS. To me that means fewer far fewer motors and sensors for accessories. We know they will retain them for Autopilot, so they have to cut elsewhere.

If it requires additional wiring and cost - I wouldn't be surprised if cut or only available as an option.
If it has little/no incremental cost but has value (auto sensing wipers since they need camera anyway) - could go either way.

We already know that some desirable features aren't going to available at launch - Dual motor and Ludicrous - perhaps they simplify early cars in terms of systems and add them in on refreshes.
I don't believe they had the intention of differentiating from the Model S per se. They included what they could to reduce costs. If there was something on the Model S that can be mass produced at lower cost, then they'd do it. I mean you have to be reaching a bit when all you can come up with for differentiating features is that you should spend the extra money for self presenting door handles, ability to have two rear facing child seats, a tiny bit more range, and a little quicker by a few tenths of a second. Of course Elon would continue driving the Model S, he's got five kids, Model 3 is not even an option.

At this point I don't even know if I'd say AWD isn't going to be available at launch unless you're an employee considering employee cars are going to come first. By the time normal consumer cars start shipping in September/October, we should already be seeing AWD models according to Elon's estimates.

The more prestigious the brand, the less included the options. For example, on A4/3 series level car, a Lexus comes with more standard than Audi, which has more standard than a BMW, which has more standard than Porsche (I know Porsche doesn't have a 3 series car, but it's well known Porsches come with almost nothing and you gota put on 10k of options to get basic stuff).

Tesla is trying to build brand prestige to the level of Porsche, or at least BMW. Expect almost nothing to be standard. Moonroof (ya even the basic one), leather seats, heated seats, parking sensors, nav, good headlights, etc, non of those are standard on a 3 series, so expect the same for a model 3.

Reactions: dennis_d and R.S
The more prestigious the brand, the less included the options. For example, on A4/3 series level car, a Lexus comes with more standard than Audi, which has more standard than a BMW, which has more standard than Porsche (I know Porsche doesn't have a 3 series car, but it's well known Porsches come with almost nothing and you gota put on 10k of options to get basic stuff).

Tesla is trying to build brand prestige to the level of Porsche, or at least BMW. Expect almost nothing to be standard. Moonroof (ya even the basic one), leather seats, heated seats, parking sensors, nav, good headlights, etc, non of those are standard on a 3 series, so expect the same for a model 3.

You obviously forgot economics of scale, the battery savings and Tesla needing to sell many cars.

3 economics of scale equals heated leather seats, navigation and good headlights.

7.87% battery savings equals parking sensors and autopilot. The rest of the savings means 0-60 in 2 seconds, obviously.

And finally needing to sell many cars, in which case many should equal 12 cars per car sold, means it will come with golden door handles standard.

Edit: I totally forgot dreadnought, gigafactory and easy to build. So that would probably be an additional HUD front and back, full leather equipment and handcrafted wood inlays.

• Funny
Reactions: dennis_d
Turn-by-turn navigation won't be included.....

in a rollout where probably 80% of its owners will be 1st time EV owners.... and you're not going to tell them how to get to a Supercharger?

Boy, as an investor, I'm glad Elon is making decisions and not you.

You didn't get past #1 on your list without creating a potential PR bloodbath.

in a rollout where probably 80% of its owners will be 1st time EV owners.... and you're not going to tell them how to get to a Supercharger?

I've never used turn-by-turn navigation in my entire life but have managed to arrive safely and on time to hundreds of locations around the country.

You will be able to buy it as an option. The list is of things included with the base price of 35k.

I've never used turn-by-turn navigation in my entire life but have managed to arrive safely and on time to hundreds of locations around the country.
So you've never looked at a map while driving or had a passenger keep track of your location and give you directions as you're driving? You've never heard the words "turn right at this next street" or "this is my house right here"?

It's just like that, but on these things we call computers...:p

You're positive you've never used any kind of turn by turn navigation? If so, that's pretty impressive, but definitely out of the norm for most people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carl and CCWgr
Pretty sure they'll offer a "tech" package, including things like:
• Heated seats
• Memory seats
• Auto folding mirrors
• Power liftgate
• Extra dome lights
• Free web browsing and internet radio (tunein, spotify etck)

Still, there should be other options as well, such as heated steering wheel, heated wipers, upgraded sound system, EAP/FSD.
You will be able to buy it as an option. The list is of things included with the base price of 35k.

Nope. Absolutely, positively, without a shadow of a doubt, turn by turn navigation WILL be included in the $35,000 model.

Otherwise, as a shareholder, I will be very upset that they deemed the PR nightmare and the resources for AAA style mobile charging a better cash outlay than enabling a software feature that is relatively cheap, since they've already paid all of the money for R+D on it in the S and X;

Reactions: CCWgr and JeffK