Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: One battery for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just my 2 cts: I could imagine that Tesla will offer virtual/sofware upgrade to batteries in the Model 3, too. But why limit it to the lowest trim? I could perfectly well imagine a "true" 55, then a "virtual" 70 and then again a "true" 85 version. I see that as a brilliant way to "upsell" people to the 70 version while keeping margins intact for the lower trims.

Just my 2 cts: I could imagine that Tesla will offer virtual/sofware upgrade to batteries in the Model 3, too. But why limit it to the lowest trim? I could perfectly well imagine a "true" 55, then a "virtual" 70 and then again a "true" 85 version. I see that as a brilliant way to "upsell" people to the 70 version while keeping margins intact for the lower trims.

Makes more sense than the current method, I think.

I think Tesla are looking very closely at how previous roll outs of this idea have panned out with other models.
Methinks there is sound logic behind it from a general perspective - manufacturing simplicities notwithstanding the raft of other benefits are also really compelling.

Not hard to imagine all the initial 3's being loaded 75kW versions and when the 60 becomes available it will just be a software limited 75.

2/3 years down the line there will be a battery refresh for the 3 platform where Tesla may see benefits in offering multiple physical pack sizes, but just as likely not.

Not hard to imagine all the initial 3's being loaded 75kW versions and when the 60 becomes available it will just be a software limited 75.

2/3 years down the line there will be a battery refresh for the 3 platform where Tesla may see benefits in offering multiple physical pack sizes, but just as likely not.

Does Tesla offer one battery pack or two for the Model S and X? Does the base car with zero options get the same battery as the Ludicrous car?

Until Tesla starts limiting their 90kWh battery pack on the S and X, it seems doubtful they'd do it with the comparable 3 packs. So this talk of having ONE battery pack, again, seems doubtful.

Reactions: Red Sage