Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction poll: Will Autopilot 2.0 kill the nags?

Will Autopilot 2.0's 4 camera base version eliminate nags entirely?

• Yes

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 14 82.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Notice that as far as we know Tesla is not building any new attention monitoring devices into Teslas right now. No facial recognition cameras. No capacitive sensors on the steering wheel which could actually force continued contact.

Question is - will Tesla eliminate the nags for freeway cruising with the base, 4-camera-enabled version of autopilot? I'm not asking if they should, what the regs state, what is safe (thanks in advance nannies) etc. Just a simple prediction of what the crowd thinks Tesla will actually do when AP 2.0 reaches feature parity with AP 1.0. Note that Tesla's own language on the current order page for a new Tesla says that the enhanced autopilot still requires the driver to pay attention to the road.

This makes me wonder if the nags will still be present in the base version of the new autopilot - it sure would be a sly way to incentivize folks to pony up more cash to get rid of the annoying flashing white ring and the "you're a bad boy" 3-strikes-you're-out total shutdown that we have now.

In other words "will EAP be SAE L2 or L3?" — right? An L3 system wouldn't have a nag, because the responsibility for monitoring is on the system not the driver. In case of trouble the system is supposed to alert the driver with enough time to take over.

According to the Model S Design Studio, "Enhanced Autopilot should still be considered a driver's assistance feature with the driver responsible for remaining in control of the car at all times." That sounds like L2. But I'll hedge that a little because Tesla might decide that they can deliver L3 as a software upgrade.