Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Tesla Pulls Autosteer Function Soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And the comments of "do you even own a Tesla" I find rude. It's fine to find out if someone owns one and thus has personal experience, but the question should be asked politely and not with insinuation that they can't comment if they don't own one.

There is no insinuation that he can't comment unless he owns a Tesla. The insinuation is that he is making very hyperbolic statements about the AP system and calling people idiots even though it doesn't appear that he has used it himself. Nothing more than that.

This and multiple other threads popping up lately are examples of a social, cultural and human cognitive phenomenon: New technology, new possibilities or new phenomena often seem scary, dangerous and "taken a step to far". Within a short time period we come to accept them as natural and positive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henny_Penny#Idiomatic_usage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neophobia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technophobia

These things have a clear tendency to cool off given some time. This time seems to be short and shorter as human history progresses. Technologies that in earlier centuries would take years or decades to gain acceptance often nowadays become integrated in our daily lives in months or weeks. The change cycle is quicker now than before. Threads like this is mainly noise.

I'm not trying to belittle anyone, just making an objective empirical observation based on human history.

Currently every Cruise control out there is more dangerous than Tesla with or without autosteer. I hate cruise control since it is dangerous. I have however started to use TACC which is far superior. Now today I used autopilot and I am impressed. Tesla make things we need better and I never cease to be impressed. Never in my 20 years of BMW ownership did I ever wake up to a better car. If I wanted a better BMW I paid my $200 or more for a software update or bought the next model.

Due to the videos I am witnessing online, I truly feel there will be an AutoPilot/AutoSteer related vehicle crash soon. This is because people simply cannot follow directions, and it affects the safety of not only themselves- but everyone on the road. There is even a video of a complete fool filming from the back seat.

I feel regulators will force Tesla to pull the feature until it can be modified/improved to the point it requires hands-on only operation, and more bugs are worked out. I also think it should use GPS to disable AutoSteer unless its on a known freeway or highway, and not on surface streets. Think about the other idiot who was driving on a 1 lane road and AutoSteer almost killed him and the passengers in the other lane. This is like handing a loading weapon to Simple Jack from Tropic Thunder.

Too many idiots are going to mess this up for all of us. My prediction, enjoy the AutoSteer function- because its not going to last.

Also, AutoPark sucks and doesn't work 99% of the time. Just throwing that in there too.

7 posts? Welcome BMW, to the forums.

The only reason to pull autosteer is not as a result of it causing an accident but as a result of it causing statistically more accidents than human steer. My guess is that even with folks playing around and causing minor fender benders, the number of avoided accidents (which will never be reported) will exceed the number caused. A step in the right direction. The challenge will be to prove this since misses are not reported but accidents are.

The only reason to pull autosteer is not as a result of it causing an accident but as a result of it causing statistically more accidents than human steer. My guess is that even with folks playing around and causing minor fender benders, the number of avoided accidents (which will never be reported) will exceed the number caused. A step in the right direction. The challenge will be to prove this since misses are not reported but accidents are.

Tesla should rather soon be able to tell, if there is a statistical difference in accidents between AP Model Ses and non AP Model Ses.

There is no way that Tesla would release it then pull it.

Lol they pulled suspension lowering and never gave it back. This was back in 2013 I think after a few fires occurred by people driving over objects and the battery packs combusted. They basically tricked us into thinking we got it back but when they "gave it back" they just increased the base height so in reality they never truly gave it back to us.

Lol they pulled suspension lowering and never gave it back. This was back in 2013 I think after a few fires occurred by people driving over objects and the battery packs combusted. They basically tricked us into thinking we got it back but when they "gave it back" they just increased the base height so in reality they never truly gave it back to us.

They gave back an improved and safer version of it.

Why so much hostility here, being called a "troll" and other derogatory comments because of my post count? Is this how you welcome all new members here? It must be a real treat being a guest in your homes for the first time..

In all honesty I'm a 2X Tesla owner, first car a '14 P85 and now a '15 P85D. I've used autopilot for around 100 miles now and find it to work pretty well. Some of you are not understanding my point. I'm predicting they pull AutoSteer because of people who are using it incorrectly and not following directions, which in its current form is subceptible to steering the car in an unsafe way, on the wrong roads. Because of this, regulators usually will regulate based on the idiots on the road, which right now- would be people not following the warnings of the beta software on our cars. All it will take is one accident and Tesla may be forced to pull it until the kinks are worked out more... Just like the suspension firmware that took away the low setting that was pointed out earlier.

No need for name calling, no need for condescending attitudes, I really just thought this could be a good topic to discuss. Here's to hoping for mature and grown up responses from here.

Cheers

I doubt TM pulls the product. They will do a number of tweaks to prevent some of the things seen recently on video. Inevitably someone will push this to the limit and an accident will occur. TM will have to be aggressive in the response to make sure they have a voice to counter any FUDsters.

I endorse the idea of some type of 'online training' before use. Could all be done on the 17" screen. Only issue I see with this is if I pass the 'test' and another driver using the car has not taken it. Might be good to have a remote shut off of the AP (similar to the phone control of on/off of the valet mode)

I try not to label people according to their post counts or comments. For all that remember 'Ed' and the bashing he/she took initially about the X delay, that would be a great example. Post comments about the subject not the person.

Why so much hostility here, being called a "troll" and other derogatory comments because of my post count? Is this how you welcome all new members here? It must be a real treat being a guest in your homes for the first time..

In all honesty I'm a 2X Tesla owner, first car a '14 P85 and now a '15 P85D. I've used autopilot for around 100 miles now and find it to work pretty well. Some of you are not understanding my point. I'm predicting they pull AutoSteer because of people who are using it incorrectly and not following directions, which in its current form is susceptible to steering the car in an unsafe way, on the wrong roads. Because of this, regulators usually will regulate based on the idiots on the road, which right now- would be people not following the warnings of the beta software on our cars. All it will take is one accident and Tesla may be forced to pull it until the kinks are worked out more... Just like the suspension firmware that took away the low setting that was pointed out earlier.

No need for name calling, no need for condescending attitudes, I really just thought this could be a good topic to discuss. Here's to hoping for mature and grown up responses from here.

Cheers

Well I don't agree with autosteer being pulled by Tesla but I do applaud your restraint after being called a troll.

I'm thinking Tesla will publish stats and tweak the software without ever pulling it.

... And we're discussing it.

You believe it will be retracted either by Tesla (for PR reasons?) or prohibited by regulators.

Many believe it won't because Tesla are being very clear that the driver remains in charge and with full responsibility at all times.

Cars are dangerous, they can cause plenty of harm when used inappropriately. Nothing new here, just another feature.

Sorry if you are feeling hostility as a new member. With no posting history, no-one can tell if you are a real sincere person or a troll. Some jump to troll quickly if the first posts are overly negative.

There is a history of people coming in and posting inflammatory or negative remarks to try to hurt Tesla for some reason (shorting stock, work for NADA, who knows). After a short time, bloggers and some press pick up the posts as evidence of unhappy Tesla Owners or as a sign of Problems with Tesla cars.

In the near future people will start to consider traditional cruise control "dangerous" because it does not take into account what is happening around the car, unlike TACC and Autopilot which most of the time is better at analyzing threats than the human driver is capable of.
Autopilot is here to stay. It will improve rapidly. This discussion will soon be considered ancient history. With its first release Tesla has significantly exceeded every other system on the market and all the other car companies are now scrambling to catch up, while Tesla forges ahead.

Let's focus to the subject.

Yes, let's.

If we all take a step back and consider the situation, I think we should try to avoid getting caught up in status quo bias. Status quo bias means a strong tendency for us as humans to think that the current state of affairs, the current time that we live in or the current level of technology is for some reason the optimum. This is very seldom the case. Other effects of this bias, which seems to be intuitively strong with humans, is to say "Things we're better before/when I was young/before technology xxx occurred or came in to existence".

Let's think of auto pilot in its current form as a step change up from TACC, which in turn is a step up from regular CC. Now who would argue that TACC is worse than regular "dumb" cruise control? If you can't find a good logical reason why TACC would be worse than regular CC than I argue that there's no inherent reason why Tesla auto steering is worse than just lane departure warning.

With TACC that works well the car will accelerate and slow down "on its own". With auto steering the car will steer "on its own". Aren't both potentially dangerous? Yet TACC is fully accepted, it seems.

I think the key issue here is that for Tesla's autopilot to be an improvement it has to be implemented well. If it's implemented poorly then it's a dangerous feature, naturally. We will have to assume Tesla has tested this technology thoroughly before releasing it in to the wild. If not, they're fools. In my experience Tesla aren't fools.

Last edited: