Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction Thread - "You Called It"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gonna do a prediction here so I can get some mad forum creds when it comes true.

August 2019, China GF3 start assembly in tent. Lathrop storage filled with excess production of parts during the spring, parts are shipped to China for those part where local production is not yet ready. While assembly happens in China, local production of parts is rapidly added. As less and less parts are needed to be shipped to China, Freemont plant starts to prepare for Model Y production which will happen in Freemont with different general assembly but with many shared parts. Production of Model Y targeted for 2020Q1 but will start 2020Q2.

I think Tesla can achieve 100% unit growth in cars for a few years, but it becomes a step function as factory capacity is reached. The temporary GA building at Fremont and the layoffs are clear indications of stressors that impact growth. Although I think most of the layoffs are Solar City which Musk wants to mask due to the self serving nature of that purchase.

I assume the China factory will be announced as a joint venture or with some other sort of attached funding. I'm sure it will be announced as having a million plus capacity capability. I'm also sure that they won't actually make the investment to do that volume until the mass market for EV is proven.

The gigafactory battery pack plus electronics module is wonderfully suited for export so that new foreign factories can first focus resources on manufacturing the glider.

I was crazy to think Tesla could do 100% unit growth rate again in 2019. So my new prediction is 400K total units in 2019. 500K would be very impressive and very profitable.

Within 6 months we will see the new Tesla smartphone. It probably won’t release, but Elon will announce it just to burn ze shorts
My guess is that Tesla will sell a software only concierge product that runs on most devices. it would be born out of what is almost necessary for a great Tesla Network experience and use a neural net to predict/suggest that you will want to visit the cinema before shopping.

Predictions recap ...

Actual was 24.5k. FAILED

Actual for Q4 was 22.2k. FAILED

I predict gas prices won't rise much from current prices until 2020.

OPEC isn't going to let oil rise much above $60/barrel, for fear of seeing a resurgence of fracking as a competitor in the oil market. China's trying to wean themselves off oil for their own national security interests, so Chevron's losses will continue and considering Shell's own researchers predict a peak demand for oil, they're not going to be interested in purchasing stranded assets.

After 2021, I predict gas/diesel prices to _drop_, slowing down the electrification of planes, boats, trains, and freight.

LA County gas prices in Nov '16: $2.86
today it's: $3.00
Nice trendline showing relatively flat gasoline prices: Weekly California Regular All Formulations Retail Gasoline Prices (Dollars per Gallon)

So far so good!

Almost 2 yours out from original prediction, and although gas prices have risen somewhat, it's not too far out: Weekly California Regular All Formulations Retail Gasoline Prices (Dollars per Gallon)

Would really like to see if 2020 pans out and if 2021 would really see a collapse of gasoline prices? Will review again in 2 years.

New prediction: The 2018 EPA review of CAFE requirements for 2022-2025 (per Trump/Pruitt) will find that no change is needed, since 2017 is going to show that the standards can be met. GM/Ford can meet the CAFE requirements by meeting the CARB requirement. Now that CARB's rules can stay in place, they HAVE TO build BEV's, the side-benefit of which is that their CAFE numbers will rise quickly, since each 100mpge BEV is effectively considered a 667mpg vehicle!

prediction #2, domestic passenger vehicle sales will continue to decrease despite BEV sales increasing.

EPA review prediction - failed. Pruitt's evil hands were more insidious than I expected. Would've never thought he would lay people off as a means to an end.

passenger vehicle sales decline - half right. 2017 sales did drop, but 2018 sales surpassed it.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Almost 2 yours out from original prediction, and although gas prices have risen somewhat, it's not too far out: Weekly California Regular All Formulations Retail Gasoline Prices (Dollars per Gallon)

Would really like to see if 2020 pans out and if 2021 would really see a collapse of gasoline prices? Will review again in 2 years.

EPA review prediction - failed. Pruitt's evil hands were more insidious than I expected. Would've never thought he would lay people off as a means to an end.

passenger vehicle sales decline - half right. 2017 sales did drop, but 2018 sales surpassed it.

The predictions that only look at the demand side for gas prices ignore the geo-political side. While demand is a factor, I think geo-politics is a larger factor in the price especially the short term price.

The predictions that only look at the demand side for gas prices ignore the geo-political side. While demand is a factor, I think geo-politics is a larger factor in the price especially the short term price.

It's a prediction, please don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. The assumption is that I've taken everything into account - I will now keep mum so that I only appear to be a fool. :)

• Funny
Reactions: wdolson and neroden
Hey, I gotta complain. I predicted that the base Model 3 would have an equal or higher EPA rated range than the Chevy Bolt. This is marked as "No", but in actual fact, *it hasn't actually been resolved yet*, because the base Model 3 *has not been released* and *does not have an EPA rating*. Please correct!

I think this is because someone put in a deadline for my prediction. I didn't give a deadline. ;-)

I'm probably still going to be wrong but... y'know... no actual EPA range yet.
I'm still waiting to see about this one :)

I now predict that I won't find out until June 2019. :)

1) Tesla will buy SunRun in fall 2020 and announce plans to massively ramp residential solar+storage business nationwide at set zero-down pricing.

2) A 30 day squeeze to $500+ SP will commence next Thursday the 17th, peaking a week after US/China resolution.

3) Foles will win back to back Super Bowl MVPs.

• Funny
Reactions: pz1975
I was crazy to think Tesla could do 100% unit growth rate again in 2019. So my new prediction is 400K total units in 2019. 500K would be very impressive and very profitable.

Bloomberg predictor indicates the M3 lines are maxed out, and the growth curve flattened at around 4700/wk. I can't see much more output until the China factory goes on line, unless they are secretly building production lines at GF1. My guess they are up against a big ticket blocker at Fremont, like the paint stall or the giant presses, and can't squeeze any more out of it. Those would also explain why it takes so long to get replacement body parts. So that's more like 350,000 total in 2019.

Here's a related prediction - with many M3's shipping overseas now, it will fall in US market share, due to lack of supply, not demand. Ramp down to only 10-12k M3's per month sold in the US by Q2/Q3, from the ~20k/mo they sold in Q4. Hopefully rising again in 2020 when GF3 comes on line.

Last edited: