Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Predictions: Model S 2017 luxury improvements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I predict we get nothing in the way of creature comforts. Tesla's focus is going to be on Model 3, Gigafactory, and AP software.

The Model S is four years old and still doesn't even have vanity mirror lighting. You seriously think we're getting rear climate controls?

The Model S has been continuously acquiring new luxury features since its introduction - the intro of Model 3 makes it even more important to keep moving it upmarket. So yes - at some point rear climate controls for sure - and probably vanity mirror lighting as well. They keep checking off luxury feature boxes - slowly but surely and steadily.

• Helpful
Reactions: Snerruc
Don't forget that sound perception is completely subjective to the audience. We all have our own tastes.

I am not interested in "named" systems for the name. I want a better quality system with better processing from a company that has the chops. The speakers could be much better than they are. The amp is dirty. The sound stage simply stinks. When centered, it smacks me in the face with everything right in front of me. No separation at all. The balance/fade controls are essentially impossible to manipulate while driving safely. I will say that when I am parked and able to finely tune it, it sounds pretty good. But that's not when I am listening to it. When I am in the car, I am driving.

They really could do better at the current price.

Stop listening to satellite radio or slacker and listen to flacs on usb, or take your Tesla back to Tesla store and trade it in for one with uhfs, because good sources through uhfs rocks. I've wasted lots of time and money on after market fancy auto stereo systems, brand name licensed audio on luxury cars and fancy home audio, and Tesla uhfs is great. That is just an objective fact.

Stop listening to satellite radio or slacker and listen to flacs on usb, or take your Tesla back to Tesla store and trade it in for one with uhfs, because good sources through uhfs rocks. I've wasted lots of time and money on after market fancy auto stereo systems, brand name licensed audio on luxury cars and fancy home audio, and Tesla uhfs is great. That is just an objective fact.
I agree. I am only critical when it comes to clean sources like FLAC USB. Streaming will never be that good and I don't waste my time with BT. I still think the sound stage stinks and is pretty much impossible to manipulate on the screen while driving. A very simple fix for the adjustment issue is to have arrows that move in one half or one quarter steps for balance/fade and tone. I personally don't think that is too much to ask. I think their latest 8.0 iteration shows their lack of attention and sensitivity to this issue. The coding is easy and cheap to do. The logic is already built into the flashy drag and drop. As a master of fact, that is more complicated than simply incremental steps.

Upgrades: improved active noise cancelling in the cabin: the upgraded/more powerfull cpu should be better at surpressing wind/road noise in the cabin? Add a few mini mics inside...
Should be better then adding extra 'noise insulation/weight to the car

Reactions: calisnow
Here are my personal predictions - feel free to add your own:

1- Additional sound insulation making the S even quieter than it is now.

2 - More advanced air suspension options that iron out small pavement irregularities.

3 - Continued gradual mprovements in the quality/durability / feel of interior materials - gradually raising the interior "feel" toward that of the Germans and Lexus.

4 - Second generation of the premium seats - getting closer to the Germans and even more comfortable. Extendable thigh support, articulating back rest, massage functions, etc.
Would like to have the sound system maintain a volume.... constantly having to adjust up or down depending on the song played (source not constant)... other cars sense road and wind noise and adjust f0r those as well...

Reactions: Mattzilla
1- Additional sound insulation making the S even quieter than it is now.

I wonder if relatively light supercapacitors (e.g. of the aerogel variant) could double as sound (and heat) insulation if they were placed in the various cavities of the car.

That could reduce the peak load on the battery both under acceleration and regenerative braking - and perhaps (momentarily) increase the peak power, both under acceleration and regen.

Although aesthetically pleasing, I believe that Model S will never be a truly silent car before they put some kind of frame on the windows. At least on my Model S that's where most wind noise comes in. I find myself often clicking to close the windows because theres so much wind noise. Does this happen to some of you?
Absolutely! I have this car since November, and I still catch myself trying to close the windows. It is very hard for me to use the speakerphone in the parkway.
Another symptom is constantly changing the radio volume up and down as my speed changes. Initially I blamed the aluminum construction, but the SL was also aluminum and I never had noise issues with the roof up.

Would like to have the sound system maintain a volume.... constantly having to adjust up or down depending on the song played (source not constant)... other cars sense road and wind noise and adjust f0r those as well...

Yes. Yes. YES. Definitely could use some light compression or leveling software built in that can be enabled/disabled. The current 3 band EQ in my car is HILARIOUS. Thankfully they are at least adding 5 band in the update. 7 band is the minimum acceptable IMO, but I used to run a recording studio and dialing in the speakers is important to me.

Others disagree:

Tesla Model S Sound System Gets "Extraordinary" Rating

Another Audio System Review

Most people who think the Tesla UHFS is lacking are using the satellite radio which is a crappy source. Using FLACs through USB -- mine sounds great.

I've found bluetooth sourced from a phone to be much better than satellite for sure. I have not tried FLAC as that is a source I don't deal with on a regular basis... but might have to. I can really no longer take the satellite quality after taking a long trip.

I think we are going to see a redesign of Model X and Model S interiors in 2018. Both will be brought in line with new interior concepts being introduced with Model 3, but with additional features, nicer materials and added luxury to justify the much higher price tag. The Model S is sorely out of date.

Reactions: P85DBeast