Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Predictions of largest battery M3 vs. MS 75?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody have the exact quote from Jeff Evanson that confirms the battery pack will be 55kWh? All the articles I have seen just talk about how he said this (and each article says he said it in a slightly different way), but I don't see any quotes or transcripts.
He just said "less than 60kWh" from Tesla confirms base Model 3 will have less than 60 kWh battery pack option, cost is below $190/kWh and falling

This could mean 59 kWh or something... however, this was before both pencils down and before the Chevy Bolt launch.

since both the LEAF 2 and the Bolt are 60kWh, introductory base model 3 may have less than 60 kWh, but the mass selling 'base' model 3 will be equal or more than 60 kWh. (ie perhaps base model 3 has an unlockable capacity, but gets discontinued before end of 2017.
somehow the fed $7,500 rebate and its expiry will also be a factor)

Tesla model 3 needs more range than LEAF 2 / Bolt
Tesla model 3 wants more battery than LEAF 2 / Bolt

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: Topher and EV-Bull
Do you guys think that the new 2000USD price for upgrade for additional 15kWh could also suggest more reasonable prices for battery pack upgrades? I know that with the SW locked battery pack Tesla has already made the investment in terms of HW, so it is not exactly apples to apples. But, it is a 70% reduction. This could mean that additional 20kWh or so for larger pack could be somewhere between 4-5k, not 10k... Thoughts?

Last edited:
The Bolt EV's battery pack is roughly 64 kWh. 60 kWh is the usable amount. The second gen Leaf has rumors of only a 40 kWh pack for the release with a 60 kWh to be available sometime in the future.

I'm betting the Model 3 will be somewhere between 55-60 kWh for the base and 75 kWh or so for the larger pack option.

Do you guys think that the new 2000USD price for uprade for additional 15kWh could also suggest more reasonable prices for battery pack upgrades? I know that with the SW locked battery pack Tesla has already made the investment in terms of HW, so it is not exactly apples to apples. But, it is a 70% reduction. This could mean that additional 20kWh or so for larger pack could be somewhere between 4-5k, not 10k... Thoughts?

I think they dropped the upgrade price mostly to avoid inciting a riot among the horde of customers that they had just spent the last month convincing to buy a Model S 60 at a price barely less than the current Model S 75 price.

My (wild-ass-)guess is that the difference in price for the larger Model 3 pack will be around $7-8k.

I think,based upon declining battery costs, that the Model 3 will have a 60kwh pack on the base model. The same as the Bolt.
I'm interested in distance and acceleration.

For example....if you can give me 300 miles on a 30KW battery AND 20 0-60 sub 3 second launces....I'm all in.

In other words..... for the Model 3.....what distance and power will I receive with the base model.