Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Predictions on new MY features in US

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any predictions on when we will see these improvements in the US?

I ordered a MYP a couple of weeks ago with a estimated delivery date of February thinking that these improvements would be available by then. However I was assigned a VIN about a week later. I talked to my local Tesla dealer last week and refused the VIN but just got another message today that a VIN was assigned. I'm thinking about holding out until those updates are available in the US.

Just put it on hold until end of January. They make more MYP's than the demand! No wonder one gets a VIN within 2 weeks of booking. Tesla has reduced price difference between MYLR and MYP from $10k to just $5k. It is easier for them to make MYP's then to produce more MYLR's. They would have unsold MYP's if they went back to $10k price difference.

Reports are that only the regular LR MY is getting the Ryzen update right now. My guess is that there is a larger stock of MYPs with older parts (hence the comparatively lower price and shorter wait times) vs the LR which is in super high demand so getting new production priority.

Reports are that only the regular LR MY is getting the Ryzen update right now. My guess is that there is a larger stock of MYPs with older parts (hence the comparatively lower price and shorter wait times) vs the LR which is in super high demand so getting new production priority.
Sure. But knowing Tesla, MYP = more profit margin, I would assume they prioritize that vs LR.
also what larger stock of MYP? Feel like they’ve sold most of their inventory from 2021, might have few stragglers though..

Sure. But knowing Tesla, MYP = more profit margin, I would assume they prioritize that vs LR.
also what larger stock of MYP? Feel like they’ve sold most of their inventory from 2021, might have few stragglers though..
There was more profit when MYP was priced $10k more than an MYLR. When you add the larger disk brakes, the more expensive wheels, the matrix head lights and of course the faster speed, it leaves a negative balance over the MYLR profits. So no, Tesla has no ability to ramp up MYLR at Fremont so they are propping up MYP sales by selling at a $5k discount. An MYLR with FSD is where the profit lies.

There was more profit when MYP was priced $10k more than an MYLR. When you add the larger disk brakes, the more expensive wheels, the matrix head lights and of course the faster speed, it leaves a negative balance over the MYLR profits. So no, Tesla has no ability to ramp up MYLR at Fremont so they are propping up MYP sales by selling at a $5k discount. An MYLR with FSD is where the profit lies.
You realize the price difference is the MYLR going up in price as demand increases, not the MYP price going down, right?? The delta is narrowing because of that not price cuts. In fact MYP has seen prices rise, but not as significantly as MYLR. Tesla is satisfying demand for both styles and Elon has said MYP makes them more money many times. Your info is wrong.

You realize the price difference is the MYLR going up in price as demand increases, not the MYP price going down, right?? The delta is narrowing because of that not price cuts. In fact MYP has seen prices rise, but not as significantly as MYLR. Tesla is satisfying demand for both styles and Elon has said MYP makes them more money many times. Your info is wrong.
That is old story. The reason prices of all Tesla's is going up is because of increase in input cost and supply chain issues. Tesla made good money on MYP when the difference was $10k on a much lower total cost of both. At $5k the price difference between the two in percentage has shriveled even more. It does not need Elon to tell you the difference in cost between the MYLR and MYP. Just add up the cost of Matrix headlights, the large sized disc brakes, faster acceleration (just the acceleration boost costs $2k), the premium wheels etc. So there is very little if any excess "profit' left for an MYP compared to a profit on an MYLR. Unless you count $0 for the all the extras in an MYP over the cost of an MYLR then you can say an MYP makes more money over MYLR. What do you think the extra MYP components cost? Quoting Elon when many of the extra enhancements were not there, and the price difference was $10k on a much lower model price, and then to assume that statement made under different circumstances is still valid, is not based on logic nor is factual. At $10k price difference and MYLR waiting time coming at par with MYP waiting time, the demand for MYP will no more be propped up. Many people pay an extra $5k for an MYP, just to avoid a full year's wait for an MYLR, even though it comes with a full inch lower ground clearance, a rougher ride due to lower tire hight, and more rim rashes are negatives over MYLRs.

That is old story. The reason prices of all Tesla's is going up is because of increase in input cost and supply chain issues. Tesla made good money on MYP when the difference was $10k on a much lower total cost of both. At $5k the price difference between the two in percentage has shriveled even more. It does not need Elon to tell you the difference in cost between the MYLR and MYP. Just add up the cost of Matrix headlights, the large sized disc brakes, faster acceleration (just the acceleration boost costs $2k), the premium wheels etc. So there is very little if any excess "profit' left for an MYP compared to a profit on an MYLR. Unless you count $0 for the all the extras in an MYP over the cost of an MYLR then you can say an MYP makes more money over MYLR. What do you think the extra MYP components cost? Quoting Elon when many of the extra enhancements were not there, and the price difference was $10k on a much lower model price, and then to assume that statement made under different circumstances is still valid, is not based on logic nor is factual. At $10k price difference and MYLR waiting time coming at par with MYP waiting time, the demand for MYP will no more be propped up. Many people pay an extra $5k for an MYP, just to avoid a full year's wait for an MYLR, even though it comes with a full inch lower ground clearance, a rougher ride due to lower tire hight, and more rim rashes are negatives over MYLRs.
Hi, I see in your signature that you received a VIN on January 7, with delivery in the third week of January. What is the cause of a such long lead time?

Hi, I see in your signature that you received a VIN on January 7, with delivery in the third week of January. What is the cause of a such long lead time?
I note you have CA in your signature. It takes 6-8 days for transportation from Fremont to the upper mid-west and east coast even more. That is one reason. The other is, many Californians are basically getting 3-4 day delivery at the end of a quarter. They have ready cars and they look up how they can book the sales in the same quarter. So the deliveries are decided on fully manufactured and ready cars. My car may have been just made. Only after I accept their offer and pass on my bank account and balance information to Tesla they contract to send it out. @eric.freeman has similar delivery profile. He was given a similar delivery window but was told verbally the earliest he could expect delivery would be the 16th. If you look up the MY tracker and rearrange the VIN to delivery days in the spreadsheet you can see the East coast and Mid west delivery times are 3 times those in the bay area or close to Fremont. From my end, I completed all my formalities to accept my car within 12 hours of receiving the VIN.

Reactions: eric.freeman
I note you have CA in your signature. It takes 6-8 days for transportation from Fremont to the upper mid-west and east coast even more. That is one reason. The other is, many Californians are basically getting 3-4 day delivery at the end of a quarter. They have ready cars and they look up how they can book the sales in the same quarter. So the deliveries are decided on fully manufactured and ready cars. My car may have been just made. Only after I accept their offer and pass on my bank account and balance information to Tesla they contract to send it out. @eric.freeman has similar delivery profile. He was given a similar delivery window but was told verbally the earliest he could expect delivery would be the 16th. If you look up the MY tracker and rearrange the VIN to delivery days in the spreadsheet you can see the East coast and Mid west delivery times are 3 times those in the bay area or close to Fremont. From my end, I completed all my formalities to accept my car within 12 hours of receiving the VIN.
I did track average number of days delivery for the EC and it does seem to be in line with the range I was given!

I did track average number of days delivery for the EC and it does seem to be in line with the range I was given!
i would be on top of the world If I got my delivery on the 16th. I will immediately buy FSD. The next day it goes up in price by $2k. My SA could not find out when my delivery will happen. Interesting that your SA could even tell you when it was made and when it will arrive in OH.

i would be on top of the world If I got my delivery on the 16th. I will immediately buy FSD. The next day it goes up in price by $2k. My SA could not find out when my delivery will happen. Interesting that your SA could even tell you when it was made and when it will arrive in OH.
You are going to? I am still on the fence, not going to lie, I am planning to get the monthly subscription, which will add up to full Price by 4 years, but I don’t plan to keep this car for 4 years anyway, what do you think?

You are going to? I am still on the fence, not going to lie, I am planning to get the monthly subscription, which will add up to full Price by 4 years, but I don’t plan to keep this car for 4 years anyway, what do you think?
I agree, it makes no economic sense to buy FSD at $10k, even less so at $12k. When one gets rid of their car, the software goes with it. In the Teslamotors Reddit forum, 95% of the commentators said it is not worth buying it unless the FSD purchase moved with the buyer of the software, and suggested leasing it during the few months when one travels long distances. I will be passing my car to my son in 4-5 years. So I am thinking it differently. Plus at this point in my life, I am done with all my commitments and can afford to do things that does not make financial sense, to those not at social security age;) I would rather continue to work and indulge in such extravagant expenses.

I agree, it makes no economic sense to buy FSD at $10k, even less so at $12k. When one gets rid of their car, the software goes with it. In the Teslamotors Reddit forum, 95% of the commentators said it is not worth buying it unless the FSD purchase moved with the buyer of the software, and suggested leasing it during the few months when one travels long distances. I will be passing my car to my son in 4-5 years. So I am thinking it differently. Plus at this point in my life, I am done with all my commitments and can afford to do things that does not make financial sense, to those not at social security age;) I would rather continue to work and indulge in such extravagant expenses.
Yeah I would do that too! it's just crazy how prices keep going up and demand is still through the roof
Did you see elon trolling GM for selling 26 EVs in 2021? lol that was hilarious

Reactions: 45thParallel